What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomoz

Bench
. But one thing we do know, Ivan will drop Soward or Wallace to reggies if they don't perform. He has many faults, but he doesn't play favourites and he isn't scared of dropping superstars.

Is this a joke. The only players he has dropped are the ones that the club has wanted to move on. He drops them to p them off. I think Ivan actually does have his favourites.
Name a superstar that he has dropped who is still here or isn't being shopped around.[/QUOTE]
I am not sure what is your point? Jennings was dropped. Lewis had the captaincy taken away from him and then he chose to leave. He wasn't pushed. Walsh was dropped. When he was at the Warriors Ivan took the captaincy from Steve Price. Who are his favourites? Name a player that gets picked regardless of form. Tim Grant has been forced to start from the bench, so has Sam at times.

Are you suggesting he only drops players to p them off so they will leave? So you expect Grant and McKendry to leave?

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Dont think anyone has suggested we could have got someone else for next year.

Thats the issue I have with the signing though, its a last minute desperation move.

It could however impede our ability to get someone for 2015 , which is crazy because our other halves options could do the job wallace can easily.

Also its not about impeding the juniors directly in FG. Wallace will get in the way of further development of Issac John, coote and possibly moylan.

That flows down through the grades.

How is this a last minute desperation move? We tried to sign him a few months back and Broncos wouldnt release him. Then they want to get rid of him
And we have the advantage of offering him less.

Peter Wallace wasnt signed because he was available. We approached him when he wasnt and were knocked back. He clearly has something thst we wanted, and isnt just a signing for the sake of it.

hindy111

Post Whore
Wallace has 10 line break assists and 11 try assists.
basicaly the same as Dale cherry evans-Played less games and in a lot worse a side.
Good solid player who will do well

franklin2323

Immortal
Wallace has 10 line break assists and 11 try assists.
basicaly the same as Dale cherry evans-Played less games and in a lot worse a side.
Good solid player who will do well

Same as Soward's stats. How many metres and line breaks? That's what we need think Sutton or Josh Reynolds mould

franklin2323

Immortal
Who are his favourites? Name a player that gets picked regardless of form.

Kingston and Newton. There is no reason fro Kingston to play the full 80.

Aside from Newton no one finishes the contract in NRL not re-signed by us. Although if Plum and Tighe don't return Smith and Simpkins will be on that list but that's due to having no one fit to take their spots

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Kingston and Newton are also pretty much impossible to drop due to the ridiculous second tier salary cap. Not sure Kingston would be dropped, but I think Newton would be if we could bring in some young guys to blood them.

Ciraldo got way too many games. But I am pleased to see he is now behind Nathan Smith. Where he always should have been. I would rather cop the fine then pick him each week.

How is this a last minute desperation move? We tried to sign him a few months back and Broncos wouldnt release him. Then they want to get rid of him
And we have the advantage of offering him less.

Peter Wallace wasnt signed because he was available. We approached him when he wasnt and were knocked back. He clearly has something thst we wanted, and isnt just a signing for the sake of it.

Fair point.

Equally worth pointing out though his form has been even worse since then, and it wasnt good to begin with.

Nothing is changing my opinion though that a soward/wallace combo is much too one dimensional. Other teams will read us like a book.

I really hope im wrong. But I really doubt I will be.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair point.

Equally worth pointing out though his form has been even worse since then, and it wasnt good to begin with.

Nothing is changing my opinion though that a soward/wallace combo is much too one dimensional. Other teams will read us like a book.

Yep. Same way once we signed Soward Walsh had to go. Same thing here

Doomednow

Bench
Fair point.

Form has likely dropped because the Broncs were dicks to him. I wouldn't feel like putting in for a club that had dicked me over either.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'm not too concerned about his form dropping lately. All that matters is his form next season. If he doesn't show up with his mind focused on playing his best footy for us, I'll be calling for absolutely anyone to replace him. Likewise with Jamie Soward.

Afterall one of the main things the club is trying to build is a winning culture and filling the team with people who have the right attitude and will bleed for our jersey. Once we have that culture in place, I think it will make developing the next crop of juniors much easier. We have players used to winning with ease in lower grades coming into a first grade side with the wrong culture. Many of them also seem to feel they're entitled just to be there... and even if they are, we need them to appreciate the jersey.

I think it could work in our favour that Peter Wallace and Jamie Soward have ended at their previous clubs on bad terms. It should make them appreciate the chance our club is given them, and possibly make them feel they owe us something extra. They should also feel a bit more pressure on their spots being guaranteed having lost them at their previous club, and seeing John and Coote put pressure on them for a first grade spot should keep them honest.

marcozzi

Juniors
I'm not too concerned about his form dropping lately. All that matters is his form next season. If he doesn't show up with his mind focused on playing his best footy for us, I'll be calling for absolutely anyone to replace him. Likewise with Jamie Soward.

Afterall one of the main things the club is trying to build is a winning culture and filling the team with people who have the right attitude and will bleed for our jersey. Once we have that culture in place, I think it will make developing the next crop of juniors much easier. We have players used to winning with ease in lower grades coming into a first grade side with the wrong culture. Many of them also seem to feel they're entitled just to be there... and even if they are, we need them to appreciate the jersey.

I think it could work in our favour that Peter Wallace and Jamie Soward have ended at their previous clubs on bad terms. It should make them appreciate the chance our club is given them, and possibly make them feel they owe us something extra. They should also feel a bit more pressure on their spots being guaranteed having lost them at their previous club, and seeing John and Coote put pressure on them for a first grade spot should keep them honest.

Exactly, Wallace and Soward will put 110% in every game they play which is what Gould and Cleary want, they want players who will play with there heart on there sleeve and for the pride of Penrith...

ACTPanthers

Bench
Have to disagree reference Soward - If the game is going well then yes, JS will put in - However, if the team is playing below par, JS will disappear

Pomoz

Bench
Kingston and Newton. There is no reason fro Kingston to play the full 80.

Aside from Newton no one finishes the contract in NRL not re-signed by us. Although if Plum and Tighe don't return Smith and Simpkins will be on that list but that's due to having no one fit to take their spots
That is the same Kingston who wasn't re-signed and told to look elsewhere. I know he was re-signed eventually, but the "you are free to go" announcement was made public knowledge. Newton hasn't been re-signed, if thats been treated as a favourite, i would hate to be unpopular.

To be fair to Newton, we really needed him this year, we were so short of seasoned first graders it was "all hands on deck".

franklin2323

Immortal
That is the same Kingston who wasn't re-signed and told to look elsewhere. I know he was re-signed eventually, but the "you are free to go" announcement was made public knowledge. Newton hasn't been re-signed, if thats been treated as a favourite, i would hate to be unpopular.

To be fair to Newton, we really needed him this year, we were so short of seasoned first graders it was "all hands on deck".

So you can say Kingston's running game is worthy of the full games he is getting.

That's why Newton is the exeption to the rule we have no backrowers in Windsor that can legally play this same reason is why Smith and Simpkins will end their contract in Penrith colours.

I see no problem with this as the players know who is gone for the end of the year. It's just clearly he has favourites. Why no games for Daniela since round 4 or whatever? He's not in favour with the coach

franklin2323

Immortal
I do when it affects his game - He goes into his shell when things arent going well

I see the opposite with him he fires up in that case. He wants to win we need people that don't think close enough is good enough. I hope people use the hate for him and come to boo him (We could use the crowd)

age.s

First Grade
Have to disagree reference Soward - If the game is going well then yes, JS will put in - However, if the team is playing below par, JS will disappear

I don't agree with this. Look at what Dragons fans (ignore everyone else) were saying when he was signed. They almost all said he's a great competitor who leaves everything on the field.

Halves almost always fade into irrelevance when playing behind a beaten pack. Look at some of JTs performances this year for examples.

Pomoz

Bench
So you can say Kingston's running game is worthy of the full games he is getting.

That's why Newton is the exeption to the rule we have no backrowers in Windsor that can legally play this same reason is why Smith and Simpkins will end their contract in Penrith colours.

I see no problem with this as the players know who is gone for the end of the year. It's just clearly he has favourites. Why no games for Daniela since round 4 or whatever? He's not in favour with the coach
Franklin, you are always thought provoking, i'll give you that. Every coach will always have a view on who is the better player - player x or y. I don't view that as favouritism because it is the whole basis of coaching and team selection. I view favouritism as being when a player is picked when it is obvious he is not the best player, or when he has misbehaved and should have been punished. It is the "obvious" part that is subjective. As you have said, in the end Newton had to play because we just didn't have anybody else. Obviously that is a bad situation for the club, you want competition for spots wherever possible.

As for Kingston, there is a bit more too it than just his actual playing ability. I wasn't sure why he was named as captain last year, but when he was told the club would let him go, the way he handled it in the media was outstanding. I think it is a case of "still waters run deep". Not a glamour player, not a big mouth, but a humble, mature and intelligent man who is a great leader I think he has the respect of all the players as a leader and that makes a huge difference on the field. Even when he is having a shocker, he just tries his guts out. I think that "x" factor is why Ivan has persisted with him. I thought the two hookers idea was rubbish as well, but it has been quite effective at times and we kept winning games.

Status
Not open for further replies.