What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomoz

Bench
Half full? Half empty?

Two schools of thought and what makes a forum interesting. The one thing we all seem to agree is we could do with another big bopper who can break the line or offload.

I would also add that Idris is probably another who should be in the back row or the front row. Blake or Smith can cover the centre position and dare I say (I hate to jinx young players and load them up with expectation), that Blake will be better than Whare and Idris in a few years. If Idris can move and up his work rate, voila, another big bopper who can break the line and offload.

Royce is King

Juniors
I hate to be negative about any of our players because they all did nothing but a fantastic job in 2014..... but to all the people that are saying that Jamal Idris should be in the second row, please watch the Cronulla game closely when he did play in the second row, and tell me that was not the worst game he has ever played. Guys we have a massive , skiled and not to sluggish former INTERNATIONAL centre playing for us and with another year together, and next year having TWO halves in the team feeding him the ball he will be a hit.... im tipping state of origin in 2015 for big jamal and I hope he does.

Royce is King

Juniors
I hate to be negative about any of our players because they all did nothing but a fantastic job in 2014..... but to all the people that are saying that Jamal Idris should be in the second row, please watch the Cronulla game closely when he did play in the second row, and tell me that was not the worst game he has ever played. Guys we have a massive , skiled and not to sluggish former INTERNATIONAL centre playing for us and with another year together, and next year having TWO halves in the team feeding him the ball he will be a hit.... im tipping state of origin in 2015 for big jamal and I hope he does.

We have 2 of the best backrow prospects in the game in Peachey and Cartwright plus a host of others.... Jamal with a full off season with the club will be a strike weapon that not many teams have got.

BxTom

Bench
I would also add the fact that Idris was slowly getting better and more involved in most games. Probably tied to his fitness. I don't think we have seen the best of him in a Panthers jersey as yet. I think with a full off season he will be a big hit for us.

Tom.

maple_69

Bench
It's not about shifting Idris because he's not a good cebtre, it's about maximising our squad and Blake is too talented too leave in reggies. Idris can be every bit as destructive one in.

Kilkenny

Coach
We have Blake and the two Jennings boys to look forward to from next year so don't take it for granted that any of our current three quarters are guaranteed there positions, because clearly they wont be. While the roles of a winger and centre three quarter are entirely different we need to get more from our centre three quarters in 2015. More tries, more line breaks, more tries created etc etc. If you want to compete with the heavyweights only so much work is done up front in the engine room. More mine Dean Whare may be the player whose position may come under the most pressure. Solid defensive centres can only do so much as sometimes you just need a game breaker, someone who can create something from nothing in a one on one situation.

chrisD

Coach
The way it's turned out this year Idris has been a forward playing at centre who is a threat under attacking kicks. Not really ideal. Now Cleary has his disciplined professional team I'd expect him to start looking at the finer points.

franklin2323

Immortal
I would also add the fact that Idris was slowly getting better and more involved in most games. Probably tied to his fitness. I don't think we have seen the best of him in a Panthers jersey as yet. I think with a full off season he will be a big hit for us.

Tom.

Yep. An off season of forwards training and the trial and go from there. He can always stay in the centres if it fails.

Pomoz

Bench
Idris isn't a good centre though.
I know what you mean Billy. He is a good centre, but not exceptional. With his physical gifts and skills, he could be a gun forward. To be an exceptional centre he would have to lose 10kgs at least so his mobility and fitness improved. I have no doubt he could be quite quick if he lost the pudding, but he is really overweight.

i agree with the notion it is about maximising the talent in the squad. Idris could play in the forwards, Jennings and Blake probably can't at this stage. Blake also looks like he will be a better centre than Idris because of his speed and elusiveness.

Incidentally, Jamal himself suggested in an interview this year he might need to move into the forwards.

franklin2323

Immortal
The backline we had the last 6 weeks was full strength bar halfback of course. I don't see us improving from this year if that's our backline. We just don't have enough Spark. Plenty of games we dominated possession, Field position etc yet only scored a few tries. DWZ and Blake goes towards fixing that.

maple_69

Bench
Here's a lot of options but either way it should improve on this year's back line. We can bring Blake in for Idris. Blake looked like a fish in water going up to NSW Cup and could be a rep Centre. DWZ has a full off season and continues to gain experience. Idris gets an off season. Mansour, Moylan and DWZ all hopefully get a bit of rep experience to continue driving their development. Then we have the options of Wallace, John and Api at half.

chrisD

Coach
Our backs getting contained is just spillage from our forwards offering little threat, a full strength back row will make an immediate difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts