What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
A little surprised we haven't announced a few more signings given how many players are confirmed as leaving the club.

I would have thought we would have need some low key signings to fill our NSW Cup roster if nothing else.

Though that's hard. Unless we move Idris to the fowards we have a settled backline. Backrowers everywhere. A player would know they are in a year in NSW Cup if they sign. We kept Aiono, Eisenhuth etc so we aren't that bad off.

MrBlack

Juniors
We still need an aggressive front rower. We were out muscled a few times last year against the larger packs. A Mosoe or Packer would be ideal (or a player of that ilk).

Don't want a work horse - more an impact front rower.

franklin2323

Immortal
Chris Smith, RCG & Saunders untried. BMM, Anderson still developing. So we have options without spending $800k on Merrin. Especially as Masoe is off contract again

martielang

Bench
Latu is another good prospect (in the 'Mose' mode) if he can stay injury free.

Merrin on anything over $400k is overs IMO.

Kilkenny

Coach
Chris Smith, RCG & Saunders untried. BMM, Anderson still developing. So we have options without spending $800k on Merrin. Especially as Masoe is off contract again

Young Chris Smith reminds me so much of a young Gordon Tallis. His finish to this season was great making line breaks and scoring tries for fun. Great to see him injury free for a prolonged period. A full season injury free in NSW Cup should see him ready to go for the top grade in 2016.

maple_69

Bench
RCG and Saunders look good prospects, but Smith is definitely the next guy through that looks like he could be a rep quality forward. I am interested to see whether he ends up at second row or prop. Given the backrow we have we could use a top class prop a bit more..

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG and Saunders look good prospects, but Smith is definitely the next guy through that looks like he could be a rep quality forward. I am interested to see whether he ends up at second row or prop. Given the backrow we have we could use a top class prop a bit more..

Most forwards these days play anywhere in the pack. It's good to have a prop that can go back if we get injuries in the pack. Like Burgess was or Merrin is etc

franklin2323

Immortal
Young Chris Smith reminds me so much of a young Gordon Tallis. His finish to this season was great making line breaks and scoring tries for fun. Great to see him injury free for a prolonged period. A full season injury free in NSW Cup should see him ready to go for the top grade in 2016.

at Full strength he'd be a benchie in NSW Cup you would think. Us Panther fans know too well you never stay full strength so he get his chance to play big minutes and test himself. I assume he will play the 9's and the trial on the 7th then go back to NSW Cup to further develop

Copperhead

Juniors
Us Panther fans know too well you never stay full strength

Talking of injuries, there hasn't been any mention of the signing of David Boyle as strength and conditioning coach. No idea how he works in with Ronnie Palmer, but I did read on the Tigers forum that someone said during his time there, that the squad not only seemed fitter and much less injury prone, but this was borne out by statistics on injuries to players since his departure.

For those that don't know he has previously worked with the Kangaroos, Aust Rugby Union, South Sydney, St George, Tigers and most recently the Sharks. So at least the management has made some effort to address the injury toll with some change up in training.

ammatt

Juniors
Talking of injuries, there hasn't been any mention of the signing of David Boyle as strength and conditioning coach. No idea how he works in with Ronnie Palmer, but I did read on the Tigers forum that someone said during his time there, that the squad not only seemed fitter and much less injury prone, but this was borne out by statistics on injuries to players since his departure.

For those that don't know he has previously worked with the Kangaroos, Aust Rugby Union, South Sydney, St George, Tigers and most recently the Sharks. So at least the management has made some effort to address the injury toll with some change up in training.

Isn't Ronnie Palmer headed elsewhere? I thought I read it about a month ago

kiwipete

Juniors
Whilst i agree, I really cant see us getting into the market for a couple of reasons, one being that there is no one available that is better than what we currently have and to get a player that is contracted we would have to pay overs which Gus and Ivan definitely arent going to do, especially for a forward.

BMM and Manu will probably train as forwards, Then we have Spence, Anderson, RCG, Saunders, Latu and Coates in NSW Cup. RCG will move up to NRL mid season, earlier if there are injuries.

I reckon we have the depth to cover most injuries in our pack, Anderson and BMM towards the end of the year didn't look out of place in FG especially in our win over the Roosters. Anderson turned Sam Moa away from the try line and took a good hit from JWH so his 3 years in Cup have got him ready for a regular spot in the pack. I said earlier this year that I reckon he is ready made to replace Plummy next season and RCG should be eased in to take Kite's spot towards the end of the year.
Rumour has it that Spence will not return, too many headknocks last year, shame he looked good early on.Saunders showed he is ready for a season in cup, great nursery for young props to find out if thay can handle the week in week out contact against men.
Wouldn't be upset to lose Sika as he never really reached any great heights IMO. Bring on the Dogs round 1, we owe them!

Status
Not open for further replies.