What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mick

Referee
Remember a significant number of backrowers are off-contract this year including Nigel Plum, Nathan Smith, Clint Newton, Danny Galea, Cameron Ciraldo, Ryan Simpkins and in all likelihood all wont be retained. I'd take Elijah Taylor over all of them in a heartbeat.

On top of that Kingston may not be retained which means Segeyaro starts and Austin slides onto the bench as a utility.

I like the signing. Think he'll compliment our team well.

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Elijah Taylor is actually a damn good signing for you guys. He's only been in the NRL for two seasons and already made the Kiwis; that should say something.

The only real reasons we aren't fighting harder to keep him:
*We've invested in Todd Lowrie, who brings much-needed experience to our forwards.
*We need to retain Mateo.
*Ben Henry is pretty much the same as Taylor from a skillset and experience point of view, so one of them was bound to go. It remains to be seen whether we chose the right one to let go.

With Mannering, Mateo and Lowrie dominating the second row, Taylor was always going to be a utility or benchie; he's probably too good for that. He can fill in at hooker, centre and likely standoff. He has a good running game, immense defensive workload and shows signs of strong ball playing ability. Will likely develop into another Simon Mannering over time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Remember a significant number of backrowers are off-contract this year including Nigel Plum, Nathan Smith, Clint Newton, Danny Galea, Cameron Ciraldo, Ryan Simpkins and in all likelihood all wont be retained.

I'd take Elijah Taylor over all of them in a heartbeat.

Not saying he is a bad signing just backrowers should be low on the list of signings.

Also Docker, Austin & Robinson are off contract. Even if we lost them all ( highly unlikely). Still have VTK, Cherrington, KOD & Pangai still to come in. We don't sign a half we can have the whole Test pack and will still be rubbish.

Hunted

Juniors
Here are the options:
Matt Gillett
Trent Hodkinson
Sam Williams
Brett Finch
Feliti Mateo
Garath Widdop
Luke Kelly
Jamie Soward

Big Mick

Referee
Not saying he is a bad signing just backrowers should be low on the list of signings.

Also Docker, Austin & Robinson are off contract. Even if we lost them all ( highly unlikely). Still have VTK, Cherrington, KOD & Pangai still to come in. We don't sign a half we can have the whole Test pack and will still be rubbish.

Fair enough.

I guess my point is we are starting to replace quantity with quality and that can only be a positive. I doubt he was signed to a massive deal considering Warriors want to lock up Mateo and he is a bench player for them.

franklin2323

Immortal
So what are the options if you dont get Thurston who else is available for 2014?

Well JT & Carney are the only 2 that's proven match winners we need. Williams is young enough to develop to quality. The rest aren't much better then we have now.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair enough.I guess my point is we are starting to replace quantity with quality and that can only be a positive. I doubt he was signed to a massive deal considering Warriors want to lock up Mateo and he is a bench player for them.

For sure. If we don't re-sign: Kingston, Simmons, Newton, Ciraldo, Smith, Ciraldo & Galea. We are already better off. Adding a couple like Taylor & 1 of Carney, JT or Williams. We will have decent team.

abpanther

Staff member
Apparantly Bellamy was after Taylor and very high on him, I think he could be a very nice pick up for us

Iafeta

Referee
Great signing for the panthers. He is a quality centre and will definately boost there strike power.

He's a backrower. He is a good defensive player. I wouldn't class him as a strike player. He's got a good mature head though I feel, certainly was a leader coming through the victorious NYC teams.

abpanther

Staff member
He's a backrower. He is a good defensive player. I wouldn't class him as a strike player. He's got a good mature head though I feel, certainly was a leader coming through the victorious NYC teams.

Thanks for the feedback

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Not sure if there is anything in it, but we have been linked to Josh Dugan.

I assumed we would, considering we appear to have some cash after missing Thurston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts