What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Comings and Goings - The Transit Lounge

Spot on the money, one has to wonder about the Titans salary cap space...

Surely we have to have to have a big name signing next year...?

Especially the money they're paying Idris to try and combat the VFL!! The money the Dogs offered him I was told by them even that was over the odds and the Titans smoked it. Myles apparently getting same coin up there as with us. Big name signing I wouldn't count on the direction is to sign younger players not established ones I think we'll see signings of youth and experience not ones like Dugan.

Pardon me for the double quote, iPhone.

Monk

Referee
Pretty much just a re-spiel of that Telecrap Article... From FoxSports

Cashed-up Roosters set to target star fullback Josh Dugan and rugby stars for 2013 raid

The Sydney Roosters have a long-term plan to sign NSW fullback Josh Dugan for 2013 and launch a raid on some of rugby union's biggest names.

Then club's hitlist includes Wallabies Quade Cooper and Berrick Barnes, along with All Blacks superstar Sonny Bill Williams.

Dugan comes off contract with the Raiders at the end of next year and has privately told several people within the NRL he is prepared to walk away from Canberra.

The Roosters targeted Dugan in 2009 but the Green Machine were swift to upgrade his contract.

Now he is again Sydney City's top priority, ahead of Cooper, Williams and then Waratahs five-eighth Barnes.

Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce distanced the club from the hitlist yesterday, but it is reportedly part of the long-term vision at the club.

"It's just laughable, those silly things. It's just not true," Noyce said.

"Before I got here we were more of a high-profile recruitment club, whereas in more recent times we've taken a strategy of building from the bottom and creating strong culture moving through."

Despite the denials from Noyce, a player raid makes sense for the Roosters. Braith Anasta and Anthony Minichiello will be off contract at the end of next year, while Jason Ryles and Mark Riddell will retire this year. And Queensland forward Nate Myles will walk away from the club one year early after securing a four-year deal with the Gold Coast.

Their departures and the anticipated salary cap increase to at least $6 million will deliver the Roosters a war chest to revamp their roster.

Current Roosters Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Frank-Paul Nu'uausala, Martin Kennedy, Todd Carney and Mitchell Pearce are all locked up until at least the end of 2013.

Would love to hear everyones opinions on each of these players and how they wouuld fit in with the club (position-wise).

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
Especially the money they're paying Idris to try and combat the VFL!! The money the Dogs offered him I was told by them even that was over the odds and the Titans smoked it. Myles apparently getting same coin up there as with us. Big name signing I wouldn't count on the direction is to sign younger players not established ones I think we'll see signings of youth and experience not ones like Dugan.

Well the signing of Dugan wouldn't be till 2013 anyway.

And on that note, Roosters being linked to SBW, Quade Cooper, Berrick Barnes etc etc

Last edited:

Rooster Legend

Juniors
I can see us signing Dugan and Cooper, but definitely not SBW and Barnes. I simply don't see the need to sign another forward and we've already got Carney and Pearce. Dugan would be a good replacement for Mini.

adamkungl

Immortal
Dugan is the only worthwhile one. Replace Mini.

Nfi what the point of signing an overpriced Union half would be.

giggity giggity

Juniors
nrl twitter yesterday said rumours around that duges will resign with the raiders for a further 3 yrs with clauses in his new contract for an upgrade once the television rights and salary cap increases are in place,making him a raider til 2015

Monk

Referee
T'is okay, i trust O'Sullivan to not buy a nuffy should we miss out on Dugan.

RWB

Bench
Justin Poore was on our radar but Sharks have come in with a massive offer.

Club is also considering making a play for Joel Reddy.

We've got a lot of key players off contract next year, expect a few early re-signings so we don't get into any bidding wars.

Good god I hope we don't get stuck with Reddy. At best he is an average first grader and we have plenty of them, he will give us nothing that we don't already have. He's a dead set scrub he belongs at Cronulla and we'd probably pay him marquee cash.

Poore would have been a decent pick up for cheap money but if he's getting anything remotely close to decent coin let him waste away at Cronulla.

Monk

Referee
I guess now we will find out if Smith wants Ryles to play another year, or if he is confident that Kennedy, JWH and Masoe can handle the load. IMO, Conn > Ryles.

Rooster Legend

Juniors
They can definitely handle the load imo. JWH showed that last week and plus Tasi is coming up aswell. Smith would be stupid to hand Ryles another year.

Monk

Referee
That is true, however the one thing Ryles does offer is experience in the forwards, something no other player can offer us beyond this year with Myles heading to the GC (besides Anasta, but he doesn't have much forward experience).

fred95

Juniors
They can definitely handle the load imo. JWH showed that last week and plus Tasi is coming up aswell. Smith would be stupid to hand Ryles another year.
It might not be Smith' decision to make. I'd like us to sign Nquaima from the Knights and Heramia from Auckland, I think they're are both coming off contract this year.

Cliffhanger

Coach
No thank you, we don't need a 29 year old winger with a history of beating his girlfriend.

We should focus on re-signing Linnett before looking to buy a new winger.