What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Hawks aim for two in a row

AILSA NORMAN
19/06/2009 10:55:00 AM
THE Inverell Hawks will be preparing to face a tough Glen Innes Magpies side out for revenge this Sunday at Varley Oval.The Hawks gave the Magpies a beating on their home turf last weekend.
In an unusual occurrence this season, all four grades will be playing at home, and publicity officer for the Hawks Mick Lewis said it will be a game not to miss.
“We will be expecting a very tough game from the Magpies this weekend, I think they were a bit embarrassed by the points difference in last week’s game, and they will be trying to make that up this week.”
The Magpies will be bringing in more new players this week as captain/coach Sam Keys returns from France with a French league player, and there is also talk of an under-21 Parramatta Eels player joining the Magpies, who have already been boosted in recent rounds by the inclusion of three forwards from New Zealand.
“The Magpies are desperate for a win and need to turn their season around so we have to be ready for that. We will be fielding much the same side as we did last week, after the success we had with the dominant display from the forward pack backed up with creativity from the young guys on the sides.”
The Hawks have mostly been concentrating on ball movement in training this week, after realising their newfound bounce on the paddock has come mostly from focussing on playing the entire field and involving all 13 players, not just the forward line.
The Hawks will be looking for a big home crowd to support them in their first home game since ANZAC Day and spectators will be pleased to see a vastly improved side.
In other grades, the juniors will face a tough game in a grand final rematch.
The Hawks juniors are undefeated this year and are hosting some exciting young players, three of which played in first grade last week and scored five tries between them.
The President’s Cup side had a tough win against Uralla last week and will be looking to repeat that victory against a struggling Magpies side.
Another grand final replay will be contested in the LeagueTag, with both teams near the top of the ladder and hoping to stay there.
Games kick off on Sunday at Varley Oval with LeagueTag at 11am, Juniors at 12, President’s Cup at 1.15 and First Grade at 2.30.
The Hawks sponsors, players and supporters night will be held Saturday June 27 at the Imperial Hotel at 7.30. There will be a DJ and finger food provided.
http://www.inverelltimes.com.au/new...eague/hawks-aim-for-two-in-a-row/1545527.aspx

TheRam

Coach
I have just been told by a mate of mine who is a Chooks supporter the following.

SBW met with Roosters officials today at Swiss Grand Hotel in Bondi. The meeting went for over 2 hours. Source is hotel staff, and he swears that it is true.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
I thought the NRL has placed a ban on him until 2012 when his contract with the dogs was meant to end. If he was to come back to the NRL before then it would have to be with the bulldogs.

abpanther

Staff member
I am hearing from a very reliable source that the Eels are in talks with both Bell and Iosefa

abpanther

Staff member
We've known about both now for a few weeks..... ;-)

Well the poster before me wanted to know where the talks were coming from, I just wanted to confirm that I have heard it from someone that talks to both players regularly.

cgee221

Juniors
I haven't seen a whole lot of the Panthers this year abpanther, but Iosefa seems to be carrying a lot more weight this year. He looking a bit chunky, has that affected his game play at all? He looked sharp when he burst onto the scene last year.

abpanther

Staff member
I haven't seen a whole lot of the Panthers this year abpanther, but Iosefa seems to be carrying a lot more weight this year. He looking a bit chunky, has that affected his game play at all? He looked sharp when he burst onto the scene last year.

Yeah he has been underwhelming this season, most Panther fans were excited to see him play FG this year but he has been well and truly out played by Aiton. He is carrying a bit too much weight, needs to hit the gym a bit more and show some dedication, that coupled with the fact that he has had some off the field discretions may lead him out the door.

He has great ball playing skills, a good short kicking game and runs the ball hard, just needs to apply himself more. I was keen to see him at lock but I believe he may have torn his bicep over the weekend and may be out for the rest of the season.

I have just been told by a mate of mine who is a Chooks supporter the following.

SBW met with Roosters officials today at Swiss Grand Hotel in Bondi. The meeting went for over 2 hours. Source is hotel staff, and he swears that it is true.

Who is this junior player you name SBW?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nathan Gardner - Sharks

* Our coaching staff are of the opinion that Nathan is too small and have not offered him a contract, DA's philosophy is that if he doesn't see them as genuine first graders of the fututre than there's no point in holding on to them, he does have a concern as to whether Nathan can reach that level

Ken Sio - Wenty Bundy red to NYC

* This kid is likely to have a run in our NYC side next year as he's only 18 :shock:..I don't know where he came from but he's a genuine try scoring machine and will more than likely be a direct replacement of Nathan Gardner.

I was also told to expect 3 or 4 more new signings of players who would come to the club at bargain basements salleries and there could be some players of up to 100 first grade games in that list, no names given but it sounds promising.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Nathan Gardner - Sharks

* Our coaching staff are of the opinion that Nathan is too small and have not offered him a contract, DA's philosophy is that if he doesn't see them as genuine first graders of the fututre than there's no point in holding on to them, he does have a concern as to whether Nathan can reach that level

* This kid is likely to have a run in our NYC side next year as he's only 18 :shock:..I don't know where he came from but he's a genuine try scoring machine and will more than likely be a direct replacement of Nathan Gardner.

I was also told to expect 3 or 4 more new signings of players who would come to the club at bargain basements salleries and there could be some players of up to 100 first grade games in that list, no names given but it sounds promising.
Ken sio is a very promising player, and to just find out he's 18 makes it even better. He is as you said a try scoring freak, and is a safe winger.

Them 3 or 4 signing you mentioned, are they from wenty like ken sio/ karl filiga etc? or other clubs?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ian, the 3 or 4 would be from other clubs, personaly I don't know who they are however you don't have to be eintstein to work out that there's a big chance that 2 of them could be Matt Bell and Masada Iosefa.

Not sure about Filiga mate...

Bazal

Post Whore
Fair enough if that's true about Gardiner....I rate him but we've been overrating our juniors for far too long

Stagger eel

Staff member
Fair enough if that's true about Gardiner....I rate him but we've been overrating our juniors for far too long

Baz, i think that's been the crux of the problem for a long time, I like Gardner and he goes well but he's been knocked around with injuries and i expected much more with him on the field this year, than what we've recieved

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Ian, the 3 or 4 would be from other clubs, personaly I don't know who they are however you don't have to be eintstein to work out that there's a big chance that 2 of them could be Matt Bell and Masada Iosefa.

Not sure about Filiga mate...
Thanks stagger, I guess the ball is in Filigas court, only person that would be stopping him from earning a contract is himself. I hope he continues to play well. I think he can be a great addition to the parra backline.

What do you make of gardiner, would you have kept him?

Nathan Gardner - Sharks

Google suggest Sio was training with Balmain SG BALL just this past off season. Thank you Google!!

I'm not likening Gardner to Billy Slater or anything But Slater is not overally big yet size has not stopped him. I always thought Gardner ran pretty hard and didn't get monstered in tackles like Burt does.

Status
Not open for further replies.