What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Immortal
Sherwin and Gower were interested on Parramatta..... not the other way about. If we miss out on Orford, so be it. Mind you South Sydney hasn't been allowed to talk with Inglis yet, officially speaking.

Kornstar

Coach
If we get Tonga and not sign a quality half, surely Hayne to 5/8th looks more like an option???

We will have way too many backs, even accounting for depth!

Forty20

First Grade
How's Berrick Barnes sound....;-)

I've said it before but Barnes would be a very good acquisition. He has a history with League and is stuck behind Cooper at the Wallabies. You'd be likely to save a significant amount on his salary and while he wouldn't be as brilliant as Cooper at his best he would be more consistent.

Avenger

Immortal
I've said it before but Barnes would be a very good acquisition. He has a history with League and is stuck behind Cooper at the Wallabies. You'd be likely to save a significant amount on his salary and while he wouldn't be as brilliant as Cooper at his best he would be more consistent.

..and only 24 years of age. Wayne Bennett was livid when he defected to Union. Not with him personally but with the actual loss of his talent to League.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Seriously people I cannot beleive how negative everyone is towards our recruitment. We are looking for halfback but there aren't many out there and we are picking up experienced players on the cheap.

And I cannot beleive th4e amount of people of here writing off 2011 if we don't sign a halfback. Here are the facts.

WEe have lost the following players

Mateo - as good as he is he DIDN'T win the eels a single game in 2010
Inu - Cannot beleive he played as many games as he did
Keating - went ok, but is no superstar , apart from setting up Hanyes try against the storm didn't have a lot to say in winning games
Wright - was only a back up
Cayless - his time has come to an end

So really while the above players especially the first 3 had potential they have not contributed to the eels winning many games.

Now this year;

We made metres, and did not lose many forward battles
Our defence was good
We have some trouble with being focused for the whole 80's mintues
We never had trouble putting ourself in try scoring positions but had trouble scoring points

Now if we correct the last two problems we will have a very good season. Now how easy is it to fix these problems? these problems come down to fitness and being focused. While scoring points comes down to having some structure in our attack. Most agree we have no structure. this can be done without a experience half back - it just means a lot of practice on the training fields. And really while our halfs aren't the best, there is some potential there. Now we have recruited a coach who was invloved in one of the most structure sides in the comp - surely he will see that eels need some structure

I think we will have a great seaosn next year if we focus on our weakneesses

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Just be patient, it will all fall into place soon:lol:

but today IS wednesday :sarcasm:

Are we there yet ?

Maybe we are close to where we want to be!!!!!!!
Maybe Paul is close to where he want's us to be!!!!!!!
images

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
passing the buck?? :lol:

I don't work for the club, I was sharing like many do what's been told to me I even seem to recall Jodeci getting it wrong, but that's fine I will in future keep it to myself and more than happy to do so.

I am sticking up for Muzzy here.
Come on boys, he's one of us, part of that bunch of wankers...
oops handful or grip or "vice" of wankers congregating here in cyberspace.
Leave him alone boys he's performed enough jerking around.
He's sprayed this forum routinely and extensively for years.
Keep it up Muz, you wanker ;-):lol:
We look forward to your next series of sprays:lol::lol:

boxhead

First Grade
Hey guys, several Cowboys supporters across different sites have talked about Willie Tonga as if he is definitely leaving. If that is the case, then yes he will most likely sign with us.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Berrick Barnes would be a good buy for the Eels. Have heard nothing about this Pete.
Willie Tonga, come on over Willie, what a great buy Willie will be if we get him.
I still think Jeff Robson can do a great job as a 7 in a structured game plan.
Lets see what Stephen Kearney and his staff bring to the table.
If everyone gets on, are fit, focused and all dramas and distractions from the top don't filter through to the squad, the Eels could easily be a top 4 team next year.
Go the Eels:cool:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Can i ask what you are basing this on?

Refer to the 2009 season and that late surge to the GF, particularly the game against the Dogs which got the Eels into the GF.
Robson was man of the match. He played a blinder and did a good job helping with organising the team at important times during the game.
I think there were many other issues going on which disrupted the 2010 squad and which impacted Jeff's game. This may have unsettled him and with what was going down particularly with Mortimer and 3P's sabotage with Daniel Anderson probably threw Robbo out and led to disorganization.
He is not a Thurston or a Cronk but he can play 1st grade as a 7 Captain BF.
Robson's has good cover defence, front on defense, can play 80 minutes, is a very good team player, does very well as a link man getting the ball out quick to the centers, is versatile and if required during a game because of injuries can play as a 9 or a 6 or a 13 or a 11 or 12.
I don't think Robbo is a crap 7 and if SK builds confidence in Robbo's game Robbo should easily do the 7 job within a structured/organised game plan, working with Hayne and whoever plays 6 and 9.
With a good 9 helping to direct the pack (and backs sometimes) Robbo should fit in nicely.
Maybe the loss of Kingston effected his game during those vital times when Kingston took control around the ruck.
I am still scratching my head as to what happened with Robbo during season 2010.
I thought he would improve on his 2009 season but like almost all other players (bar Hayne & a few forwards) he went backwards.
What do you think????

Last edited:

dazeely

First Grade
Hey guys, several Cowboys supporters across different sites have talked about Willie Tonga as if he is definitely leaving. If that is the case, then yes he will most likely sign with us.

So he has signed with the broncs then.

parra pete

Referee
Berrick Barnes would be a good buy for the Eels. Have heard nothing about this Pete.
Willie Tonga, come on over Willie, what a great buy Willie will be if we get him.
I still think Jeff Robson can do a great job as a 7 in a structured game plan.
Lets see what Stephen Kearney and his staff bring to the table.
If everyone gets on, are fit, focused and all dramas and distractions from the top don't filter through to the squad, the Eels could easily be a top 4 team next year.
Go the Eels:cool:

I have heard we are interested in Barnes IF Orford does not sign...

Status
Not open for further replies.