What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
FFS, how could anyone say Tonga isn't that crash hot at the moment? He's one of the best centres in the game, and basing your opinion on one game is ludicrous.

That Thurston makes Tonga look good argument is hypocritical because, really, Hayne was the one that made Reddy look good in that game too. That's if you look at it that way.

Bazal

Post Whore
He is class but he will slow up over the next 2-3 years and wont be worth investing big dollars in IMO. Snapping up someone like Tonga can mean you loss someone like Loko.

Outside backs look good in better teams, Cooper or Tonga would not look so good outside of Robson as they do in their current teams. While they are both very very talented players I think the apparent gap between a Cooper/Tonga and a Jennings/Champion is much smaller in reality because of the teams they are in.

Yeah ok...but how would Tonga look outside Sandow?

You're not seriously suggesting that you wouldn't want Tonga because we "might" lose Loko?? Deadset, he'd be mad to leave instead of learning his trade from one of the best in the game and you know you what? If he did, so be it...I'd have a current Origin centre over a kid who COULD MAYBE be something any day of the week.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yeah ok...but how would Tonga look outside Sandow?

You're not seriously suggesting that you wouldn't want Tonga because we "might" lose Loko?? Deadset, he'd be mad to leave instead of learning his trade from one of the best in the game and you know you what? If he did, so be it...I'd have a current Origin centre over a kid who COULD MAYBE be something any day of the week.

it will mean that one of them, more then likely loko, would have to switch on the right side..

MrT

Juniors
He is class but he will slow up over the next 2-3 years and wont be worth investing big dollars in IMO. Snapping up someone like Tonga can mean you loss someone like Loko.

Outside backs look good in better teams, Cooper or Tonga would not look so good outside of Robson as they do in their current teams. While they are both very very talented players I think the apparent gap between a Cooper/Tonga and a Jennings/Champion is much smaller in reality because of the teams they are in.

very well said caylo. How would people feel if the two Tonga's were in the centres and Loko misses out.

Tonga is a good player no doubt. I just question whether we need him on big bucks. Another thing, Loko and 2 Tonga's all play left side centre

caylo

Bench
very well said caylo. How would people feel if the two Tonga's were in the centres and Loko misses out.

Tonga is a good player no doubt. I just question whether we need him on big bucks. Another thing, Loko and 2 Tonga's all play left side centre

That is why I personally hope they acquire a few mid range backs for half the money. TBH D.Williams and T.Williams addition to the team would probably conclude a collection of decent signings. Someone like D.Williams is pretty quick and could play centre or wing and generally is a good finisher. The other option is to acquire a right centre because as you said both Tonga and Loko are right centres and one will probably have to move onto the wing to accommodation. Yow Yee may be targeted as a right centre, the kid in pretty strong and has a right hand carry (meaning he is a would be better suited to the right centre).

Bazal

Post Whore
Anyone who thinks what side a centre (or backrower, for that matter) plays really matters is mental IMO

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Anyone who thinks what side a centre (or backrower, for that matter) plays really matters is mental IMO

It doesn't matter in the sense that you'd have Inglis or Hodges in your team no matter what side they played on.

But in a game where every little advantage counts, some guys fend better to one side and others have a much better step off one foot in particular. In that sense it does matter what side of the field the edge players play on.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Happy with Tautai returning to the eels, he would be cheap. Runs hard and can player in the backs or forwards, plus is very young with plenty of improvement in him.

I know some people will complain about signing him but two things;

- He was in our top 17 just before we went on that amazing in 2009 in front of Smith who was in reserve grade. But he was dropped because of DUI charge, before this he was going alright.
- He is very young for a forward only 23, forwards take a few years to develop, for example look at Shane Shackletons resume, only over the last 3 years has he looked like a NRL player ( 2009 for the roosters and this year for us) but he is in his late 20's. Shane didn't play a lot of NRL from the age of 20 to 25.

MrT

Juniors
Happy with Tautai returning to the eels, he would be cheap. Runs hard and can player in the backs or forwards, plus is very young with plenty of improvement in him.

I know some people will complain about signing him but two things;

- He was in our top 17 just before we went on that amazing in 2009 in front of Smith who was in reserve grade. But he was dropped because of DUI charge, before this he was going alright.
- He is very young for a forward only 23, forwards take a few years to develop, for example look at Shane Shackletons resume, only over the last 3 years has he looked like a NRL player ( 2009 for the roosters and this year for us) but he is in his late 20's. Shane didn't play a lot of NRL from the age of 20 to 25.

you're happy with mediocrity then, enjoy

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

no, but not all players in your top 25 squad can be locyer, thurston, Blair, Marshall type players. You need a balance and Tautia would be dirt cheap with a lot more up side then down side - he has potential (like how the Storm took a 25 year old unknown player with the name Jemery Smith and turned him into a very good player).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Why wouldn't we be happy with mediocrity?

We're not talking about a rep team here; we're talking about a club side with a salary cap.

With the typical model of two players taking up just under a quarter of the cap (in our case Hayne and Sandow) that leaves 23 players to fit in the other 75-80% of the cap.

When you consider that fact, it stands to reason that you need plenty of mediocrity in each club. We may as well be happy with it.

caylo

Bench

backrowers not so much but not all centres can play left and right.

Gasnier - his in an away would be useless on the right hand side
Tahu - has played both sides but his right hand fend and ability to get on the outside with his in and away makes him a better left centre.

Someone like Loko would struggle on the right IMO while Morgan is equally compatible on either side because he runs more angles then beating players one on one. Tonga has been a right centre his whole career, even in his jnr days at parramatta and I doubt he would enjoy moving to the left.

MrT

Juniors
no, but not all players in your top 25 squad can be locyer, thurston, Blair, Marshall type players. You need a balance and Tautia would be dirt cheap with a lot more up side then down side - he has potential (like how the Storm took a 25 year old unknown player with the name Jemery Smith and turned him into a very good player).

We have bought one player who you would reagrd a regular 1st grader and a priority target - Sandow. You make your priority signings first and then see what you have left $$ to fill the rest of the squad.

Our last 3 signings have been

Ryan - NSW cup player
Penese - yet to play 1st grade
Tautai - too slow to be a back and isn't better than any of our forwards who play 1st grade

Why are we making these signings now? We went for Hopate who was a massive long shot. We should have have gone all out for Kyle Stanley, would have came for half the price of Hopa with just as much potential.

Our recruitment thus far has been very ordinary I'm afraid

Last edited:

spartan2153

Juniors
we really signed tautai. this has to be a joke. surely our new rectuitment & retention group headed by our coach must have better available talent in juniors then this guy

Last edited:

MrT

Juniors
exactly, I think Loko would deadset struggle playing in the right side..

I absolutely agree. He loves shifting to his left and taking the man on the outside. We sign Willie and Loko will not start at left centre.
What would be the point of having Loko play left centre this year and then not next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts