What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Immortal
So we have Roberts, Tonga, Sandow and Junior Vaivai on the books for next year? Any big signings then or are we rebuilding again in 2012?

Gronk

Staff member
Tonga poised to sign with Parramatta
Chris Barrett
May 19, 2011

TITANS centre Esi Tonga is set to join Parramatta next year after being squeezed out of the Gold Coast club by the high-profile signings of Jamal Idris and Beau Champion.

The 23-year-old brother of Queensland centre Willie Tonga has been weighing up offers by Parramatta and Cronulla and is understood to be close to agreeing to terms with the Eels.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-parramatta-20110518-1et5d.html#ixzz1MjoFVCSi

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Shame that we didn't get his big bro. So is he anything like Willie ? I
What's he play like ? He obviously isn't as good as Beau or Jamal..

He came into the Titans side in round 3 this year and has played every game - mostly at centre but a couple of times on the wing. He misses a few tackles but he make loads of metres and even put his winger away a few times.

I'd say he's a bit like Jacob Loko. You can see him on the video on nrl.com.

boxhead

First Grade
Great news regarding Esi, he is a very good young centre and will no doubt keep growing with time spent in first-grade. Perhaps we have our centre pairing worked out with Esi and Jacob? Both young and both very talented, strong and fast.

And Staggs, I see you mentioned in the NRL Rumoured Signings thread that a few more signings could be on the way. :) Don't have to elaborate mate, but cheers for the info, and cheers to Jodeci, natheel and the others for confirming this!

Gronk

Staff member
He came into the Titans side in round 3 this year and has played every game - mostly at centre but a couple of times on the wing. He misses a few tackles but he make loads of metres and even put his winger away a few times.

I'd say he's a bit like Jacob Loko. You can see him on the video on nrl.com.

OK, so why didn't they keep him ?

Gronk

Staff member
With the money the kid can command, I doubt the Titans would afford him after buying Idris and Champion.
Unless you were being sarcastic?

You missed my point. They felt that they had to buy two centres. Clearly they don't think much of their current ones.

Champion goes OK, but you'd hardly say he's a great centre. Above average but not great. So I guess that makes (in the Tits opinion) Tonga as average.

boxhead

First Grade
You missed my point. They felt that they had to buy two centres. Clearly they don't think much of their current ones.

Champion goes OK, but you'd hardly say he's a great centre. Above average but not great. So I guess that makes (in the Tits opinion) Tonga as average.

Frankly that says more about the Titans recruitment and retention managers than ours. You'd have to go far and wide to find a person that doesn't think Joseph Tomane isn't wasted at the Titans, you'd also find Esi is very well sought after.
Frankly, a team that doesn't move to fix it's spine (at least at present) doesn't have the hallmark of great recruitment anyway. They have to hope Sezer, Prince, Zillman all step up along with either a rookie hooker or another purchased one.

jono

Juniors
I mentioned on another thread we should go after Tomane , but happy with Esi .
Has all the hallmarks of his brother , we get him at about the same age as Willie , only this time we keep the Willie in our pants , and not ship him off to the Dogs.

The Colonel

Immortal
our buying hasn't quite finished yet Big C

So are we going to sign one of the big name players we get linked to or are we actually going to sign one?

Esi Tonga is the one signing I have been impressed with but really it feels like we should be changing our sponsor to Safcol Tuna because we are only picking up the fish that John West rejects at the moment.

The Colonel

Immortal
Sounds good to me, maybe you can piss off and support the Raiders.

If you are happy with driving up the prices of bigger names and feeding off what is left, all power to you. I'd rather see the club look at players that have a bigger upside. I mean Roberts is playing behind a player our club didn't believe was a good choice for our halves. Doesn't say much for our recruitment if we are chasing blokes behind ones we passed over.

Noa

First Grade
Frankly that says more about the Titans recruitment and retention managers than ours. You'd have to go far and wide to find a person that doesn't think Joseph Tomane isn't wasted at the Titans, you'd also find Esi is very well sought after.
Frankly, a team that doesn't move to fix it's spine (at least at present) doesn't have the hallmark of great recruitment anyway. They have to hope Sezer, Prince, Zillman all step up along with either a rookie hooker or another purchased one.

Your spot-one Box, Titans have been a rabble past 2 years with there recruiting and development.Anyway I was hoping Esi would come to the Storm so he's a very good signing for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.