What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/kearney-plays-down-tonga-talk/tabid/10874/newsid/63994/default.aspx

Kearney plays down Tonga talk

Steve Jancetic AAP Fri, Jul 29, 2011 - 1:43 PM

Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney denies the fact he has been forced to name two backrowers in the centres is proof of his NRL club's desperation to sign off-contract representative star Willie Tonga.

Tonga was this week granted a release from the final year of his contract with North Queensland, with the Eels thought to be leading the chase for his signature where he could team up with brother and fellow recruit Esi Tonga in 2012.

While injuries have played their part, Kearney's lack of depth in the centres has resulted in Justin Horo and Ben Smith - both more recognised as backrowers - being named in the backs to face Melbourne on Monday night.

Asked whether the situation highlighted the need for someone of Tonga's ilk, Kearney said:

"It would be lovely to have someone of Will's calibre, but that's what we've been presented with at the moment and the guys will do the best they can," Kearney said.

"They (Horo and Smith) do a fairly good job in those positions, obviously it's not their favoured spots, but Justin's probably one of the quicker forwards on the team and you saw Ben chase down Benji (Marshall) so he must be quick.

"That's the circumstance we're in at the moment as a footy club with our personnel - we're not going to complain about who we haven't got or what we haven't got, the guys know their responsibilities and their jobs."

As for whether Tonga was on the club's shopping list, Kearney said:

"My focus is preparing the side for a real tough challenge on Monday night and I'll leave that to our NRL recruitment man."

SDM

First Grade
My Deepest apologies to you SDM - I Did not realise you are the Grammar / Spelling Gestapo. I will endeavor to ensure my English is perfect to the letter in future - just so that I can satisfy you.

WTF is that hyphen doing looking like a shag on a rock?

SDM

First Grade
I am only interested in important stuff, like hyphens, colons and the spelling of body parts.

Gronk

Staff member
So you've hammered me about the spelling of Arse - because of your interest in colons? Anyone else detecting a theme?

He has a fascination with boy things ?

funny-forecast.jpg

TheRam

Coach
Jesus, if that rumour is true(can't see it though) Coote and Walsh would be outstanding buys for us. Two more top shelf players who play in the spine. How awesome would that be? Who cares about Tonga if you can nab those two. Also I think Walsh would make a handy Hooker for us if we chose to keep Hayne at 6.

SDM

First Grade
Jesus, if that rumour is true(can't see it though) Coote and Walsh would be outstanding buys for us. Two more top shelf players who play in the spine. How awesome would that be? Who cares about Tonga if you can nab those two. Also I think Walsh would make a handy Hooker for us if we chose to keep Hayne at 6.

Walsh is a midget with a good kicking game but bugger all else. No thanks, we already signed Sandow.

SDM

First Grade
I was merely suggesting that It could indicate your line of work.....

You're a Doctor of Proctology aren't you? :D

Yes, me and True Eel (no lunch break today for him) got our
PHD's together at La Trobe University - Hay Campus.

You may call me Doctor Anoos

parra pete

Referee
That rumour is laughable

Only thing more laughable is the gullible is the people who run with it.

Why would the Eels want Coote and Walsh when they have Dugan (superstar), Vidot (new Burt), Travis Waddell (new Matt Keating) and maybe Drury Low (new Etu) in their sights..And that is not to mention TLL (replace Fui), or Shaun Fensom (new Hindy)....

TheRam

Coach
Walsh is a midget with a good kicking game but bugger all else. No thanks, we already signed Sandow.

Walsh is a lot better than you think. Almost everything that happens for Penrith, happens through him. Really we signed Sandow? Wow!!! Thanks for the scoop.

Eels Dude

Coach
Walsh is a lot better than you think. Almost everything that happens for Penrith, happens through him. Really we signed Sandow? Wow!!! Thanks for the scoop.

I think the point is if we have Sandow what do we need Walsh for? He's not going to want to come here and play reserve grade.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I still don't think Willie would have gotten a release unless he knew where he was going.

If he's already received one or more offers then he knows the minimum he can get.

Now it's all about shopping him around so that he and his manager get the best deal they can. I'd say they assume (or they've been told) the minimum offer will remain open so there's no real rush to sign. Maybe they've been given a deadline, maybe not. You can be sure that if we haven't given him a deadline, we most certainly have one of our own. He and his management would be aware of this too - no offer stays open indefinitely.

spartan2153

Juniors
If he's already received one or more offers then he knows the minimum he can get.

Now it's all about shopping him around so that he and his manager get the best deal they can. I'd say they assume (or they've been told) the minimum offer will remain open so there's no real rush to sign. Maybe they've been given a deadline, maybe not. You can be sure that if we haven't given him a deadline, we most certainly have one of our own. He and his management would be aware of this too - no offer stays open indefinitely.

If he Blows his knee out he will drop his price quick smart. A little risky considering how injury prone he is

Status
Not open for further replies.