What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrT

Juniors
well to think we chased Hopoate with $400k a year and only signed Roberts since then tells me either;

1. we have cap space left
2. like mentioned, have signed players but no announced them yet

Bigfella

Coach
How would we have gone from chasing Hoppa and signing vai vai to shutting up shop. Even if we had signed both of them we desperately needed more cattle.

Just have to presume it's under control and the approach has been to keep everything zipped until deals are concluded.

I don't think it's a bad thing if it's true. Gold coast were very active and high profile with recruitment and you can't help think it's affected the club?

But then again why have our other signings been reported?

I'd like to think we've done deals and aren't announcing but it seems a bit inconsistent?

Unless of course our signings want to wait until after the RWC?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well to think we chased Hopoate with $400k a year and only signed Roberts since then tells me either;

1. we have cap space left
2. like mentioned, have signed players but no announced them yet

or we've front loaded a few to use the money up and we'll have shit loads the following year

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe its a good thing we got his brother instead of Willie
RICCIO_twiitter_SMALL_copy_normal.gif

DaveRic1 Dave Riccio

Willie Tonga injury curse continues. Torn bicep at training. Monday nite v Knights comeback plans aborted.
http://twitter.com/#!/DaveRic1/status/88778906169131008 http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#

whall15

Coach
According to Wikipedia it finishes on the 23rd October. Apparently Union calls Video Referees 'Television Match Officials', odd.

hindy111

Post Whore
I get the feeling we have a good one on the way...But it wont be announced till after the NRL season or the world cup...
We would have to have cap space left.I mean know body has realy stepped up from the jnrs this year to dommand huge $$$
Id say we have around 400 to 500 to spend(if we have front loaded some guysfor this eyar)

spartan2153

Juniors
I get the feeling we have a good one on the way...But it wont be announced till after the NRL season or the world cup...
We would have to have cap space left.I mean know body has realy stepped up from the jnrs this year to dommand huge $$$
Id say we have around 400 to 500 to spend(if we have front loaded some guysfor this eyar)
He just resigned for 1 year with u union team

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Anybody, reading between the lines, I think Stagger is trying to say our books are closed however we have made 1or 2 signings of decent players which just have not been announced yet

Suitman

Post Whore
Anybody, reading between the lines, I think Stagger is trying to say our books are closed however we have made 1or 2 signings of decent players which just have not been announced yet

It is a rare occurance these days for a signing to be announced, without any previous speculation or rumours linking said player to club.
If we've managed to pull that off, it'll be a first.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach

If you signed them why not announce them unless you want to keep your supporters in the dark? I thought membership was about making you closer to the club not distancing fans?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Unless said players don't want their current teams to know about their impending switch to the Eels.

It may have been a signing condition.

CrazyEel

Bench
If you signed them why not announce them unless you want to keep your supporters in the dark? I thought membership was about making you closer to the club not distancing fans?
I can think of many reasons. May be involved in the rugby WC, may have negotiated early contract release but don't want announcement till present commitments are complete, may have agreed to terms but not yet put pen to paper. Also may not be able to sign until legal difficulty with manager is sorted.

If, and I don't have the foggiest idea if it is the case, but if they have settled on someone but aren't announcing it then obviously they have a valid reason for doing so otherwise they would announce it.

Eels Dude

Coach
I can think of many reasons. May be involved in the rugby WC, may have negotiated early contract release but don't want announcement till present commitments are complete, may have agreed to terms but not yet put pen to paper. Also may not be able to sign until legal difficulty with manager is sorted.

If, and I don't have the foggiest idea if it is the case, but if they have settled on someone but aren't announcing it then obviously they have a valid reason for doing so otherwise they would announce it.

Those are some interesting theories but you'd have to assume the most likely outcome is that no signings have actually been made to announce. If it's still in negotiation you cannot really call it a signing, it's a potential signing. And hopefully we have a few of those but you can only wait and see.

Some people on here seem to be wishfully thinking we've got Quade Cooper or SBW coming next year already, but the odds of anything like that would be very slim.

lingard

Coach
Given the mediocrity of our rosters over the last four or five (or more) years, what the club needs is a mass signing similar to the McCracken, Dymock, Pay and Smith signings in the late nineties. The only players we`ve signed so far that compare to that sort of quality are Sandow (definitely) and Roberts (possibly). I agree with Suitman that it would be highly unlikely that we have signed an established player without there being any rumours or speculation in the media about it. Somebody would know. And somebody would tell. So I`m definitely assuming we haven`t.
I`m also assuming that when Osborne said we are looking for one more established player, then that is true. Personally, I think it needs to be a centre. A very good one. We also need more coverage at five-eight and half, but if Humble re-signs, that covers that. (I`d like to see us off-load Mortimer.)

Status
Not open for further replies.