What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What's big is the fact that Sterlo named Osborne as the blabbermouth.

It's either poor form by Ossie to tell somebody with such access to the public and not tell him to keep it dark, or if he was told to keep it a secret then it's poor form by Sterlo.

Even if Sterlo was told not to say anything, it's still poor form for Osborne to blab to somebody he couldn't trust.

The only way it's not Osborne's fault is if all this is a deliberate ruse by Osborne and others in the club (Kearney?) to increase interest in the Parramatta Eels.

Are we negotiating a new sponsorship deal? Is it worth Osborne increasing his reputation for unprofessionalism in exchange for raising the club's media profile?

We'll probably never know.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I hope this doesn't derail any potential signing. You'd think the Cowboys wouldn't be too happy either it could prevent Tonga from getting any potential release.

I doubt we would be wasting our time negotiating a deal with Tonga if the Cowboys were not aware off it and also willing to release him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I doubt we would be wasting our time negotiating a deal with Tonga if the Cowboys were not aware off it and also willing to release him.

The Cowboys can still impose conditions on any release - it's entirely up to them.

They're fighting for a top 4 spot and they'd hardly want news of one of their best players' impending departure to be made public when they're trying to drum up support and interest in the team.

So far it's looking like their best year since '05, and Townsville's a funny place.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There are so many people involved in contract negotiations that it's impossible to stop these kinds of leaks from coming out. Especially when it comes time to deal with the administrative details (accounting, registration, etc).

Delboy

First Grade
Personally, think Sterlo acted in a relatively poor way. For a person supposedly loyal to the club, think it was an unnecessary remark. I can imagine people would expect Sterlo to be discreet, he is in the media, but I expected better.

You can imagine Sterlo bumps into Ossie , " we really need a centre", Response " have that covered, got a rep one for next year"

Should expect better from someone that is a legend oif the club, but loyalty to his employer took over, poor form in my eyes

CrazyEel

Bench
Personally, think Sterlo acted in a relatively poor way. For a person supposedly loyal to the club, think it was an unnecessary remark. I can imagine people would expect Sterlo to be discreet, he is in the media, but I expected better.

You can imagine Sterlo bumps into Ossie , " we really need a centre", Response " have that covered, got a rep one for next year"

Should expect better from someone that is a legend oif the club, but loyalty to his employer took over, poor form in my eyes
Yep, especially from someone that still carries a 30 year grudge against a journo for doing the exact same thing to him :lol:

Eels Dude

Coach

I'd say if they do release they're going to want to sign a player to replace him and his release will be dependent on that. Just like the Bulldogs were willing to let Hannant go but not until they'd nabbed Aiden Tolman as a replacement. Clubs don't let their best players go early unless there's something in it for them and any release would be dependent on certain conditions.

Eels Dude

Coach
What's big is the fact that Sterlo named Osborne as the blabbermouth.

It's either poor form by Ossie to tell somebody with such access to the public and not tell him to keep it dark, or if he was told to keep it a secret then it's poor form by Sterlo.

Even if Sterlo was told not to say anything, it's still poor form for Osborne to blab to somebody he couldn't trust.

The only way it's not Osborne's fault is if all this is a deliberate ruse by Osborne and others in the club (Kearney?) to increase interest in the Parramatta Eels.

Are we negotiating a new sponsorship deal? Is it worth Osborne increasing his reputation for unprofessionalism in exchange for raising the club's media profile?

We'll probably never know.

It's poor form on both their behalfs really. Maybe Sterlo didn't realize it would be a big deal considering he wasn't the one who brought up in commentary the lack of our quality in centres.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'd say if they do release they're going to want to sign a player to replace him and his release will be dependent on that. Just like the Bulldogs were willing to let Hannant go but not until they'd nabbed Aiden Tolman as a replacement. Clubs don't let their best players go early unless there's something in it for them and any release would be dependent on certain conditions.
Reddy???? ;-)

Bazal

Post Whore
I fail to see how Sterlo did anything wrong tbh, unless he was explicitly asked by Osbourne not to say anything. It seems he was actually unaware who the player was as well, he was just reporting news about the club in a similar way to what they were doing in discussing Tim Moltzen. I'm not going to crucify Ozzy either, as much as I am not a fan of him, because for all we know he simply said "yeah mate, we've signed a good centre but that's all I can say for now."

Storm in a teacup stuff IMO, at least for those of us who don't know the details (which I assume is everybody, but you never know)

boxhead

First Grade

They've got Winterstein and Tate to come back from injuries. If it weren't for Ash Graham doing so well, especially considering how little cash he would command, then I don't think this deal would go through. Fai Fai Loa has also been a star. Trust me, they won't need to sign anyone to replace Tonga.

Parra Pride

Referee
They've got Winterstein and Tate to come back from injuries. If it weren't for Ash Graham doing so well, especially considering how little cash he would command, then I don't think this deal would go through. Fai Fai Loa has also been a star. Trust me, they won't need to sign anyone to replace Tonga.

I believe they almost gave Tonga a release for 2011 until Tate suffered an injury that would keep him out this year.

boxhead

First Grade
I do think it still depends on how Tate and Winterstein recover, but hopefully it is over the line, regardless. It sounds like Tonga has agreed to terms, would that be the second time in a season and a half?

Eels Dude

Coach

They may not NEED to sign him, but if they were to do so it would be to free up salary cap space to sign another player they're after, not neccessarily an outside back. Otherwise I doubt they'd release him unless they had to. So they might be waiting on a potential signing for them until doing so.

Stagger eel

Staff member
They may not NEED to sign him, but if they were to do so it would be to free up salary cap space to sign another player they're after, not neccessarily an outside back. Otherwise I doubt they'd release him unless they had to. So they might be waiting on a potential signing for them until doing so.

or they may use the money to upgrade bloke like Tariq Simms or Kalifa Failoaloa..

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't think Ozzy telling Sterlo about a signing is a big deal. Heaps of other people already knew, even Stagger knew.

heaps hey????..I don't know if heaps knew about it but I do know that a core group knew about it around 3 weeks ago and there was never a post in here or the other site who took 3 months to try and guess the player in question..as soon as it hit the airwaves I must of got or text messages asking me who it was?? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts