What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
No point talking to them about it Caspy, they don't believe in ghosts.

Well you do, so best you go there and let them talk to you :lol::lol::lol:

9706770.jpg

caylo

Bench
Most of them can change sides pretty easily, but many of them will be far more effective on one side than the other.

Loko has a brutal right hand fend, to the point where I don't think I've ever seen him carry the ball in his right. He's also got that footwork to get him on the outside (left) of his man - most players can't do that to both sides of a defender.

One player who can step off either foot is Willie Tonga, but he's played just about every game in his career at left centre, so he's bound to be better there than on the right.

In saying that someone like Tate was very good at getting outside his player on the right hand side and was a very good out of dumby half on the left for the same reason, so while there is an advantage on one side of the field a good player will be capable of adapting that to the other side. Loko is a left centre and a pretty good one at that but if W.Tonga does come here he will have to adapt and you would think he would be capable of doing that. I personally thin Esi Tonga would find it easier to adapt to the right then Loko but I personally would much prefer Loko in the centres above Esi.

SK might just be getting the best squad he can and working his team out later, I doubt any one here would reject the likes of Willie or Esi Tonga, Lafi or Linnett after some of the performances we have seen from our edge players.
And as for converting a centre to the wing, it's not that easy, especially if he's never played there much - defending kicks is such an important part of the game and requires good awareness and decision-making, which isn't going to come just because a guy is big and fast. It's generally easier to convert a fullback.

That said, if I was going to convert any of them it would be Loko.

I have to disagree here, IMO fullback is much more difficult to adapt to then the wing. Most players that come through the grades and initially play on the wing are done so before being trust into the centres or fullback.

The wing is generally pretty simple to defend if you have half a football brain, it is just that any error you make is generally exacerbated by that fact that the opposition is very likely to score. Often a winger will be chastised for his inside men making poor defensive plays but generally speaking it is a much easier position to defend then fullback or centre.

Eels Dude

Coach
The wing is generally pretty simple to defend if you have half a football brain, it is just that any error you make is generally exacerbated by that fact that the opposition is very likely to score. Often a winger will be chastised for his inside men making poor defensive plays but generally speaking it is a much easier position to defend then fullback or centre.

I don't know if it's easier to defend. Most of your tackles are one on one and you have to be in the perfect position and have the perfect technique to pull them off. Especially if that player is running at full speed. Add to that wingers also have to know when to come in and when not to come in and that is a split second decision.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I don't know if it's easier to defend. Most of your tackles are one on one and you have to be in the perfect position and have the perfect technique to pull them off. Especially if that player is running at full speed. Add to that wingers also have to know when to come in and when not to come in and that is a split second decision.

Its definatly harder at fullback. You don't think Jarryd's keen to play fullback rather then wing because its easier yeah?

Eels Dude

Coach
Its definatly harder at fullback. You don't think Jarryd's keen to play fullback rather then wing because its easier yeah?

He's keen to play fullback because he can get involved more and rightfully so. Both are very different positions to defend at and that is the point.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I have to disagree here, IMO fullback is much more difficult to adapt to then the wing.

I said it's easier to convert a fullback to the wing than to convert a centre to wing.

In what f**king universe would anyone think wing is harder than fullback? Get over yourself. Goose.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The difference between defending at wing or centre is that centres just have to make so many more tackles, and many of them are one-on-one against the opposing centre, or helping their inside man (usually a half) to bring down edge forwards.

Wingers have far less tackles to make, but they have the added complication of dropping back for kicks (and all the decision-making errors that can come with that) and then fielding those kicks (and as caylo says, when you f**k up fielding a kick you're basically handing the opposition six again in good field position - this is why fullback is such a difficult and important defensive position).

As far as defence goes, centre's definitely harder when it comes to just the tackling side of the game. But when you include defending against the kicking game it evens out. Which I guess is what you were saying anyway.

caylo

Bench
I said it's easier to convert a fullback to the wing than to convert a centre to wing.

In what f**king universe would anyone think wing is harder than fullback? Get over yourself. Goose.

Wow slightly unnecessary mate. I thought you were saying its easier to convert a centre to fullback then convert a centre to the wing. Miss understanding, I re-read it and simply got it wrong but I guess I agree with you then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts