What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Give it 20 years and the soccer a league will be the premier sport in nsw.

League is dying and all the wrestling and shit refereeing and predictable attack structures and stupid rules like no shoulder charge and biffing that created excitement, will diminish interest in the sport as it is already starting to. I know so many people who have converted and no longer give a shit about their rugby league teams who they once were passionate about. Its worrying that they are counting down the off season for a league and cant wait for rugby league season to end. I am unwillingly starting to convert myself. I no longer watch other games except parra games to which i sometimes find myself going for a smoko mid game and not really giving a shit anymore. I would never do that before. I would be glued to thetv during parra games and watch most other games in the round. The game is too predictable and annoyingly slow to the point it is painfull.

Rugby league numbers in junior leagues are diminishing aswell which would mean the nrl in future years will be of lesser quality players making the nrl comp even shitter in future, whereas the numbers in juniors in soccer are absolutely kicking ass which will strengthen the quality of talent.

Proof of junior participation dropping?

Seems like the game is on the up this season, higher crowds, great TV audience (top in Oz) etc etc.

Soccer just had the world cup, and nobody (in Australia) gave a crap. Or is it still going?

oldmancraigy

Coach
I figured it out - it's the coach teaching them how to do it.

soccer_doubledive.gif

84 Baby

Referee
Proof of junior participation dropping?

Seems like the game is on the up this season, higher crowds, great TV audience (top in Oz) etc etc.

Soccer just had the world cup, and nobody (in Australia) gave a crap. Or is it still going?

As much as I am also a soccer fan, I hope no one at NRL or NSWRL thinks like you. You may not like any other sport than rugby league but with junior soccer participation rates around 4 times higher than rugby league (that's boys & girls BTW), you don't think a growing % of those kids are going to become as interested in league as you are in soccer? Yeah maybe we aren't that good at soccer but participation rate is the largest stepping stone to performance improvement. How likely is little Johnny going to play league if all his mates play soccer? How likely is young adult Johnny going to play league if he's never played it before?
Challenge is well and truly on league to either ensure they get junior participation increases or keep the top quality through to their premier product. Unlike the other guy I will support the Eels till the end, but up to NRL/NSWRL to ensure they remain primetime sporting event in next few decades

oldmancraigy

Coach
As much as I am also a soccer fan, I hope no one at NRL or NSWRL thinks like you. You may not like any other sport than rugby league but with junior soccer participation rates around 4 times higher than rugby league (that's boys & girls BTW), you don't think a growing % of those kids are going to become as interested in league as you are in soccer? Yeah maybe we aren't that good at soccer but participation rate is the largest stepping stone to performance improvement. How likely is little Johnny going to play league if all his mates play soccer? How likely is young adult Johnny going to play league if he's never played it before?
Challenge is well and truly on league to either ensure they get junior participation increases or keep the top quality through to their premier product. Unlike the other guy I will support the Eels till the end, but up to NRL/NSWRL to ensure they remain primetime sporting event in next few decades

Soccer has always been a massive sport in terms of junior participation.

I like lots of sports.
Nothing in my previous post said anything about my marketing methodology.

I was simply asking for proof of a wild statement. The statement being that league is currently dying, and that soccer is on the upswing.
The counter I presented was that (in Australia) nobody cares that the world cup soccer is on, nobody cares about watching soccer (no matter what Gallop says), and Rugby League is thriving.

Has junior participation in league dropped? Is there some proof of it? That's what I was asking.
While you're at it, has junior participation in soccer increased? Soccer has always been the 'number 1 most played sport in Australia'. But nobody watches it on TV (you know what I mean Suity).

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I am starting to lose interest in rugby league.
I have been watching the World Cup rather than league matches.
I think league is slowly dying. They are ruining it with bad refereeing and dumb rules. It's not as good as it once was.

84 Baby

Referee
Soccer has always been a massive sport in terms of junior participation.

I like lots of sports.
Nothing in my previous post said anything about my marketing methodology.

I was simply asking for proof of a wild statement. The statement being that league is currently dying, and that soccer is on the upswing.
The counter I presented was that (in Australia) nobody cares that the world cup soccer is on, nobody cares about watching soccer (no matter what Gallop says), and Rugby League is thriving.

Has junior participation in league dropped? Is there some proof of it? That's what I was asking.
While you're at it, has junior participation in soccer increased? Soccer has always been the 'number 1 most played sport in Australia'. But nobody watches it on TV (you know what I mean Suity).

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/76DF25542EE96D12CA257AD9000E2685?opendocument

And just anecdotally I reckon soccer has had an even bigger upswing since last survey, whereas rugby league struggles with consistent numbers.

Also, while I also think rugby league crowds are on the up from this survey
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/5B4A9042741FA657CA257AD9000E283D?opendocument, without a doubt, with the establishment of A-League, Wanderers & Asian Champions League, soccer crowds will be way up.

On TV viewing, there are two many differences in coverage of sport to compare accurately. But can you honestly say that if the Socceroos played Friday night on say channel 7 directly opposite a NRL club match on 9 that 9's viewership may not be directly negatively impacted by people watching the soccer instead?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Soccer has always had massive participation rates in the juniors, it's converting those kids to the seniors and to professional league in Australia that's their man problem. The Aye League is on the up and Soccer is now well ahead of Yawnion but it still has a long way to till it gets close to League or Fumbleball. AFL has more to fear of Soccer than League does.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Soccer has been around for how long ?

Its had plenty of chances to make inroads mainly because of our immigrant population.

I cant see much changing as if the A League was serious, it would be up against League in Winter and the fact that its a summer game means they have already given up imo.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Furthermore, our quality of Soccer is poor and yet we have 4 imports in each team. In league we play the highest level in the world.

End of

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Soccer junior administration is totally stuffed compared to league. League is so much better at identifying talented juniors and assisting them not like soccer. Plus junior league clubs are operated so much better (and there is plenty of room for improvement)

League also has one key benefit over soccer, kids may find soccer fun around the younger ages but once they develop , soccer aren't no fun for the slow kids, the front row size kids, the forward type kids.

Gareth Keenan

Juniors
Parents are now over-sensitive and over-protective; league will lose more kids to soccer and afl where they won't get hurt...or they will just stay at home and watch soccer on an ipad.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It is a pretty tough sport. But it's got softness creeping in with players lying down, no shoulder charges, and no fighting. All the pushing and shoving that now goes on is very silly.
I expect soccer will probably take over in the years to come.

Avenger

Immortal
It is a pretty tough sport. But it's got softness creeping in with players lying down, no shoulder charges, and no fighting. All the pushing and shoving that now goes on is very silly.
I expect soccer will probably take over in the years to come.

In relation to toughness or popularity? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.