What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty20

First Grade
It would be a shame to lose Sio but in the face of an aggressive offer from the Sharks we would be silly to try and match it.

I imagine that Brad Arthur will offer him a fair deal (but no where near that of the Sharks) to stay at Parra. He might stay if he values a place in our improving squad over moving to the Sharks where their future is murkier.

If he goes that simply means that Toutai, Goodall, Davis or even Lavaka will get a chance next year.

Forty20

First Grade
His profile on the club website lists his position as second row?

It's pretty unreliable. Player weights are all from when they first came into the senior squads. Pauli Pauli only 105kg? f**ken bullshit he is!!!

Goodall has played second row through the younger grades but is now settled on the wing. Perhaps a tad outdated but far from the worst listing across the player profiles.

Playing weights on the other hand are well off the mark. Pauli Pauli is playing at 119KG as of the game against the Bulldogs the other week.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Goodall has played second row through the younger grades but is now settled on the wing. Perhaps a tad outdated but far from the worst listing across the player profiles.

I believe he played edge forward up until mid last year when Manly shifted him to the wing and he scored 12 tries in 10 games.

spiderdan

Bench
Parents are now over-sensitive and over-protective; league will lose more kids to soccer and afl where they won't get hurt...or they will just stay at home and watch soccer on an ipad.
even though there are more reported injuries per registered player in soccer?

Soccer has always had a significantly larger junior base. For whatever reason plenty of kids don't stay with soccer.

For the last 25 years people have also been saying soccer is the sleeping giant, and while the sport has grown in recent years, its success has in large part come from the sport's move to no directly compete with the afl and nrl in the two major states.

oldmancraigy

Coach
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/76DF25542EE96D12CA257AD9000E2685?opendocument

And just anecdotally I reckon soccer has had an even bigger upswing since last survey, whereas rugby league struggles with consistent numbers.

Also, while I also think rugby league crowds are on the up from this survey
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/5B4A9042741FA657CA257AD9000E283D?opendocument, without a doubt, with the establishment of A-League, Wanderers & Asian Champions League, soccer crowds will be way up.

On TV viewing, there are two many differences in coverage of sport to compare accurately. But can you honestly say that if the Socceroos played Friday night on say channel 7 directly opposite a NRL club match on 9 that 9's viewership may not be directly negatively impacted by people watching the soccer instead?

Thanks for the stats, very interesting!!

So the official stats are clear: the number of kids playing league is UP on 5 years ago, soccer has increased the percentage (still number 1), and AFL has seen the biggest drop.

Meanwhile league dominates the TV ratings. And Gallop isnt foolish enough to put an international on a Friday night since he knows the league TV juggernaught would squash it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Could we have the NRL introduce a weight system - if a player is too light, he should be forced to carry sandbags to slow him down?

Gareth Keenan

Juniors
even though there are more reported injuries per registered player in soccer?

Yeah, I think so. I don't think most people would know what sport has the most reported injuries. I wouldn't have had a clue but would have assumed league would have the most...and the more serious injuries. Parents don't want their kids getting hurt, on the surface of it soccer certainly seems safer. In soccer parents only have to worry about grazed knees from a dive that goes wrong.

hindy111

Post Whore
Furthermore, our quality of Soccer is poor and yet we have 4 imports in each team. In league we play the highest level in the world.

End of

Our Quality in soccer is probably 10 x better than it was prior to the A-League.I wouldn't say poor.Its not he premier league but its not terrible either.Average would be better word to use.
When I am at the shops now I see more wander's jerseys than nrl teams.6 yrs ago I never noticed one soccer jersey.
There was no realy money in soccer here.Now they are getting 250 million in tv deals over 5 yrs. I think the NRL's last one was around 500million so 250 is quite good.
There are also good sponsorship deals in soccer now.And players can make a good amount of money to play in it.As it gets better and the more money is generated the better players it will attract and better juniors which will make a better league and quality.

25 yrs ago soccer had most jnrs but no hero's for kids to dream of becoming..Now a 10yld says " I want to be like tim cahill " or I want to play for Sydney FC. Not too many would of been saying I want to play for Marconi or the bonyrigg.

Personally I think soccer will only get bigger. I hate the wanderers I think parra Is big enough for one team and that's the eels.But lets not compare crowds :p

Status
Not open for further replies.