What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
He isn't a first grader either.

I love that the bloke tries his guts out but is not up to it in any position in the top grade.

Playing as a utility makes sense but given he is coming on and playing an edge, makes no sense

Kilkenny

Coach
Why do we have this focus around Jaemon Salmon. It’s not his fault he finds himself part of our top 17. He seemed to do a job last season in which he played most games Albeit off the bench. Seems to me, some of you think you know better than our coaching staff. I don’t think he is a world beater either but for the most part seems to have earnt the right to be part of our top 17. Kenny and Salmon seem to be the whipping boys but from my perspective both deliver better than they are given credit for.

Original Name

Juniors
Yeo defending on an edge with how much slower bigger and slower he's gotten? We have only one kicker presumably in Luai if Cleary goes down so they can pressure him super hard because they all know with close to 100% certainty it wouldn't go to the other half. Plus I think the much less creative and footy smart Kenny would have to replace him in the important role of ball playing lock/first receiver unless there's another change. Sounds dicey.
Jack Cole or Jack Cogger
I think I'd want to see a bit of Cole playing in the halves before he's a first grade option. Has played like one Cup game at five eight and has been a centre the rest of like 5 games there right? People want X factor and spark replacing Samon. Dunno if Cogger really does that? Where would he usually play? Can't play hooker with the two in the team? Spell Yeo for 10 minutes and there are two absolutely massive spots in the line in Cogger and Luke? Going to be the game plan of every team to engage the props at marker and get the two tiny guys that both need to body guarded are defending side by side trying to tackle the big 115kg prop together. Near instant play the ball and the opposition attack are in business.
Luke or Kenny.
Or Kenny was a lock in lower grades.
Not a ball playing lock. He just ran hard and tackled hard in the middle. Didn't defend on an edge either as was almost always defending at middle as far as I know. Isn't really applicable to half. Was just the most agile prop type of lock.
Soni Luke played a bit of halfback in 20s.
Biggest thing would be his edge defence - but if you put him inbetween Marto and Critter he would fine.
I'm not thinking Luke can't find his feet there. With that said we really, really need Luke at hooker after the opening 20 minutes. Kenny just ain't it at hooker in anything more anything more soaking up the physicality. And making defensive read on edge after a long time adjusting to that that takes some time which I kind don't want to do right now because it would weaken our defence. Easier to go the other way and move into the middle as you age.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Salmon isn't a backrower though
He isn't a first grader either.

I love that the bloke tries his guts out but is not up to it in any position in the top grade.
Whilst I respect both of your opinions, I disagree.

Salmon is a very handy player, who will benefit hugely from the extra game time.

Is he a great back rower? No, but he’ll get there.
with extra game time.

he can pretty much cover every position and is easily NRL standard. That’s very rare to find, I think you are both glossing over how important a utility player is.

Coast panther

Juniors
Yea the way the game is now you kinda need to carry a utility that can play most positions, with the head knock rules the way they are. Salmon comes on and can defend well enough at centre second row five eight that doesn’t involve mass changes to our line. the only other options to fill this role is peachy

Iamback

Coach
Why do we have this focus around Jaemon Salmon. It’s not his fault he finds himself part of our top 17. He seemed to do a job last season in which he played most games Albeit off the bench. Seems to me, some of you think you know better than our coaching staff. I don’t think he is a world beater either but for the most part seems to have earnt the right to be part of our top 17. Kenny and Salmon seem to be the whipping boys but from my perspective both deliver better than they are given credit for.

The 17 is different now, Kikau, Yeo and Martin were playing 80 mins last year.

It allowed for a utility on the bench, IF Garner and Martin aren't going to play 80 mins. then that spot is better taken up by Hosking or someone who is better suited that role.

Iamback

Coach
Whilst I respect both of your opinions, I disagree.

Salmon is a very handy player, who will benefit hugely from the extra game time.

Is he a great back rower? No, but he’ll get there.
with extra game time.

he can pretty much cover every position and is easily NRL standard. That’s very rare to find, I think you are both glossing over how important a utility player is.

You have said before you think Hosking should be in over Garner, Yet you don't think he is a better option in the 17?

Kilkenny

Coach
The 17 is different now, Kikau, Yeo and Martin were playing 80 mins last year.

It allowed for a utility on the bench, IF Garner and Martin aren't going to play 80 mins. then that spot is better taken up by Hosking or someone who is better suited that role.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I’m just not sure either Salmon or Kenny quite deserve the criticism directed at them.