What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I’m just not sure either Salmon or Kenny quite deserve the criticism directed at them.

It isn't against them entirely, just the make up of the side.

In Kenny's case we have a hooker doing a middle's work, While we have Spencer who most people think should be getting more game time.

As for Salmon, both times he has come on in crucial times not because of injury but because we needed an edge.

He is there incase of injury or to give someone a breather if we are blowing a side off the park

Play Kenny just as hooker, Play a forward as a forward if Garner or Martin need a break and the side works better

Exsilium

First Grade
Salmon is very handy to have on the bench. Covers most of the backline, slots into the forwards where needed. He does his job. While we'd all love our bench to be world beaters, he puts a lot of effort into his minutes.

He isn't spectacular but he is a genuine 14. I saw a lot of him in NSW cup and he was very good but never had much of a chance to show it.

As time goes on, he will improve.

As for Garner, I'm very confident he will be one of our better additions. Combos take time and if he runs the lines he did last game, it wont be long before he starts getting points on the board regularly.

Iamback

Coach
No we don’t…. Salmon is fine in the back row and will only get better. Garners minutes will also increase as the season goes on.

Salmons primary job will always be to cover injuries. You replace him with a back rower and we are screwed if we lose a half or a back.

Garner was playing centre last year
Luke has played 7 in lower grades.

We are running effectively with a 2 forward bench

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Garner was playing centre last year
Luke has played 7 in lower grades.

We are running effectively with a 2 forward bench
No, we are effectively running with three forwards and utility. Soni replaces a middle when he comes on.

We won a premiership with this rotation, unless you want to replace Salmon with a better Utility, unless we get injuries, I wouldn’t change a thing.

No, we are effectively running with three forwards and utility. Soni replaces a middle when he comes on.

We won a premiership with this rotation, unless you want to replace Salmon with a better Utility, unless we get injuries, I wouldn’t change a thing.
If Peach could stick to the game plan, he could provide some x factor in attack.

Iamback

Coach

This team is not the same team that won the comps though, I don't know how hard it is to understand

Hell even take the 2021 team compared to 2022. We had Capewell, That allowed Kiks to come off the bench.

Capewell went, Kikau became an 80 minute edge forward. That allowed Kenny and a Utility on the bench.

We have gone back to having a 50-60 edge forward. As such the bench needs to evolve to match that

BxTom

Bench
This team is not the same team that won the comps though, I don't know how hard it is to understand

Hell even take the 2021 team compared to 2022. We had Capewell, That allowed Kiks to come off the bench.

Capewell went, Kikau became an 80 minute edge forward. That allowed Kenny and a Utility on the bench.

We have gone back to having a 50-60 edge forward. As such the bench needs to evolve to match that
The 2023 team wasn't the same as the 2022 team that won the comp either. You're sounding like a broken record.

Iamback

Coach
The 2023 team wasn't the same as the 2022 team that won the comp either. You're sounding like a broken record.

Agreed, So why is what we did last year going to work this year?

Hence the discussion about the make up of the 17 to improve the side

Munky

Coach
A lot of teams doing that recently

It works until you get an early forward injury.

Bellamy taking a two forward bench into the 2021 prelim is a key reason for Penrith winning that game. They lost Welch early and had to rely on a one forward interchange.

In the first game against Parra last year Kiks went out for an HIA, Salmon went to right edge backrower and Parra scored two quick tries there.

If Penrith had another first grade quality edge backrower I'd start them and go with the bench of:

Luke
Spencer
Sorro
Garner

Luke provides hooker and halves cover while Garner edge and centre. Critta goes to wing or fullback depending on the player injured.

Salmon is OK for fifteen minutes of cover to rest a starter but it'll be hard to win games if he is forced to play sixty minutes in the pack.

Iamback

Coach
It works until you get an early forward injury.

Bellamy taking a two forward bench into the 2021 prelim is a key reason for Penrith winning that game. They lost Welch early and had to rely on a one forward interchange.

In the first game against Parra last year Kiks went out for an HIA, Salmon went to right edge backrower and Parra scored two quick tries there.

If Penrith had another first grade quality edge backrower I'd start them and go with the bench of:

Luke
Spencer
Sorro
Garner

Luke provides hooker and halves cover while Garner edge and centre. Critta goes to wing or fullback depending on the player injured.

Salmon is OK for fifteen minutes of cover to rest a starter but it'll be hard to win games if he is forced to play sixty minutes in the pack.

If we are getting 50-60 mins from Garner, That means in close games you will have Salmon out there as an edge. He should only be there if injury forces Ivan's hand

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Salmon playing minutes on an edge and Spencer will play more minutes as well. That is evolving….

The bench “evolving” doesn’t need to be anything more than that…

I can’t understand why you don’t understand that…..

Iamback

Coach
Salmon playing minutes on an edge and Spencer will play more minutes as well. That is evolving….

The bench “evolving” doesn’t need to be anything more than that…

I can’t understand why you don’t understand that…..

So Salmon is an edge then?