What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Fangs

Coach
We only need to make TPJ an offer. Doesn't need to be what he is asking for. We have had guys willing to play for us at less than market value.

TPJ gives us that firepower in the forwards that Kikau/Leinu won't provide for us anymore. I can't think of many other forwards apart from David Fifita who can do that job.

Blade23

Juniors
Thanks Blade. Without giving away anything you can’t, what is your take on all the talk in the papers this week about needing to choose one of either Edwards or Luai?

Just paper talk. The club leaked to temper expectations of their managers seeking top dollar here. We can't afford both on a mil. Won't happen.
At this point I remain fairly comfortable both will stay.

Kilkenny

Coach
Just paper talk. The club leaked to temper expectations of their managers seeking top dollar here. We can't afford both on a mil. Won't happen.
At this point I remain fairly comfortable both will stay.
Neither player is worth a million and I rate Dylan Edwards very highly. I think Dylan deserves to be rewarded for his outstanding form and loyalty but I think around the $800k would be about right for perhaps 3 seasons. Jerome is a fine player at his best, but no where near elite or million dollars a season. Not sure what we need to spend on Jerome to keep him.

Coast panther

Juniors
TPJ would be an awesome signing. He'd have to come here on on a whole lot less money.
I guess it all depends which way the coins fall here end if he kills it at the dogs 😉

Kilkenny

Coach
TPJ would be an awesome signing. He'd have to come here on on a whole lot less money.
I guess it all depends which way the coins fall here end if he kills it at the dogs 😉
We have a player very similar in style to TPJ but for whatever reason he is no longer with us next season.

Apparently we either couldn’t afford Spencer or he thinks the Roosters provide him with greater opportunities, I don’t see it personally. There even little whispers JWH might go around for another season, go figure that one out, his leaving or retiring was cited as freeing up the space to bring in further marquee signings. I know opinions are divided, but until contracts are transparent and become publicly available the disparity around the salary cap will continue to fester and remain unhealthy for many fans.

Whino

Bench
Luai, Edwards debate pointless

The suggestion that Penrith may have to choose between keeping Jarome Luai or Dylan Edwards was news to the Panthers. This is a media story with no real substance; both players are keen to stay and are in Penrith’s long-term plans.

It’s not news to the club that both are off-contract at the end of next year and could command big dollars elsewhere. But with both having a strong desire to stay in Penrith and potentially even accepting less than what they could get on the open market, Penrith remain pretty confident that they can re-sign both.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
The Liam Martin top up might just be the final blow for either Edwards or Luai. I can see Daine Laurie asking for a release and panthers taking him back. He will end up in whatever position leaves either the fullback spot or 5/8.
You heard it here first.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The Liam Martin top up might just be the final blow for either Edwards or Luai. I can see Daine Laurie asking for a release and panthers taking him back. He will end up in whatever position leaves either the fullback spot or 5/8.
You heard it here first.
This has less of a chance than Gowie ever getting his Dally M

I do think one will leave.

All the right noises being made so far; the club saying the want to keep them both and think they can (as long as they take what we think they are worth), while Luai says he wants to stay but is leaving the negotiations to his manager.

But at some stage the rubber will hit the road and both will need to take major cuts to stay. I just can’t see it happening (although hope I am wrong).

GowersDallyM

Juniors
I do think one will leave.

All the right noises being made so far; the club saying the want to keep them both and think they can (as long as they take what we think they are worth), while Luai says he wants to stay but is leaving the negotiations to his manager.

But at some stage the rubber will hit the road and both will need to take major cuts to stay. I just can’t see it happening (although hope I am wrong).
Yet Rabbits can pick up Wighton without losing anyone major and Roosters can pick up Leniu and Dom Young yet lose no one.

A question that has been going on in my head is how can we help Luai build wealth outside rugby league. This is what the Roosters do right; they build an ecosystem where earnings inside the salary cap are just part of a wider wealth package.

Now when Luai retires from rugby league what is he going to do around League or the club? He could become community outreach and he would be great at that if he wants. There would be a lot of scrutiny though. He is unlikely to go into mainstream media.

I think the club should go to Luai about creating a joint venture to grow his online media presence; he should try to help him monetise his infamy. It would be a company that would be worth zero today, so when incorporated (at whatever nominal sum is needed) it shouldn’t impact the cap and the split of equity could be 50-80% (majority) Luai, 20-50% (minority) club.

Obviously there would need to be a very clear line about the artistic freedom allowed, but the club could help Luai learn how to monetise his personal brand, and if done the right way it should be additive and help build the Panther brand in a demographic we are really strong in.
Not sure how the salary cap auditor would view this; others might tell me this isn’t allowed.

Original Name

Juniors
A question that has been going on in my head is how can we help Luai build wealth outside rugby league. This is what the Roosters do right; they build an ecosystem where earnings inside the salary cap are just part of a wider wealth package.

Now when Luai retires from rugby league what is he going to do around League or the club? He could become community outreach and he would be great at that if he wants. There would be a lot of scrutiny though. He is unlikely to go into mainstream media.
It's the board of directors not nessarary having jobs lined up at the clubs or in League. But connections in general that can get you to where you need to go and players that are encouraged to approach them. Say you're looking to start a business well here's somebody who started a multi million business from the ground up and this other guy who runs a loan company. Get advise, get connections and use them. Essentially they allow easy networking.

Bronson's pies is the most successful business of any League player when it comes to starting up their own business. He'd be making more of a profit than any League player playing right now. Look who did Sean Garlick play for in the last years of his career. The Roosters. As the saying goes it's who you know.

Not sure The Roosters tactic works here. I mean I'm sure there's a good advise some 55 year old successful businessman can give to some degree but it's not really applicable to building an online presence. No ex Roosters player I can think runs a successful online thing specifically. Social media business is a completely different world compared to the rules of normal business. Barring promoting his stuff on the Panthers own social media pages I can't think of anything. I mean barring making your thumbnails better in a clickbait the only way to gain an online presence quicker is just to be keep making videos consistently over multiple years or get extremely lucky and be making vids on a certain thing just as that trend explodes. The club can't really make videos for him.

And even that promotion could get obnoxious to some Penrith fans who aren't interested in it.

Last edited:
It's the board of directors not nessarary having jobs lined up at the clubs or in League. But connections in general that can get you to where you need to go and players that are encouraged to approach them. Say you're looking to start a business well here's somebody who started a multi million business from the ground up and this other guy who runs a loan company. Get advise, get connections and use them. Essentially they allow easy networking.

Bronson's pies is the most successful business of any League player when it comes to starting up their own business. He'd be making more of a profit than any League player playing right now. Look who did Sean Garlick play for in the last years of his career. The Roosters. As the saying goes it's who you know.

Not sure The Roosters tactic works here. I mean I'm sure there's a good advise some 55 year old successful businessman can give to some degree but it's not really applicable to building an online presence. No ex Roosters player I can think runs a successful online thing specifically. Barring promoting his stuff on the Panthers own social media pages I can't think of anything. I mean barring making your thumbnails better in a clickbait the only way to gain an online presence quicker is just to be keep making videos consistently over multiple years or be making vids on a certain thing just as that trend explodes. The club can't really make videos for him.

And even that promotion could get obnoxious to some Penrith fans who aren't interested in it.
All good points re the business side. I would think we would be looking to change this, and maybe looking to bring people into our commercial side to build this skill set. If we are going to produce all of this talent, we need to do everything we can to keep it; a great culture only goes so far (as we have seen recently!)

On the content side, I disagree. Social media is littered with very successful influencers who target a demographic and become ‘leaders’ of them. Luai is actually ahead of where many of these start, as he already has profile and he also has the personality. Does he have the patience to make it happen? Many other supporters would tell you he is a bum simply because he has a ‘punchable face’, but I see a young father who waited for his turn to have a go at the big time, and has been amazing ever since.

It doesn’t have to be Panther material (in fact, you want it to be separate so there is no cannabilistaion of our current commercial activities) but it can be aligned.

maple_69

Bench
Depends how you view Luai. I don’t see a heap of clubs throwing silly money at him to play the second (or 5th) fiddle role he plays with us.

If there are any clubs who looked at what he did in the World Cup and thought hey, this guy could be the focal point of my footy team if I build it differently to Penrith, then there could be big dollars. Sharks, Warriors, Seagles, Dolphins, Titans, Knights, Dragons, Raiders, Tigers and potentially the Dogs would all be better off with him.

I think the club should go to Luai about creating a joint venture to grow his online media presence; he should try to help him monetise his infamy. It would be a company that would be worth zero today, so when incorporated (at whatever nominal sum is needed) it shouldn’t impact the cap and the split of equity could be 50-80% (majority) Luai, 20-50% (minority) club.

Obviously there would need to be a very clear line about the artistic freedom allowed, but the club could help Luai learn how to monetise his personal brand, and if done the right way it should be additive and help build the Panther brand in a demographic we are really strong in.
Not sure how the salary cap auditor would view this; others might tell me this isn’t allowed.
Luai is a brand ambassador for JBL, the company that manufactures speakers and headphones.

Latest posts