What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

The Realist

Juniors
This Kenny being a middle shit when Luke is on has to stop. I'm sorry but it's garbage. He should be in reserve grade. Enough's enough now.

Twice he dropped the ball on first tackle. Unforgiveable.

Damn, even Big Mick has come out of his Hibernation to point this out. It must be Gods gospel, chiseled in stone TRUTH.

The Realist

Juniors
he was our starting 9 in the GF, and that game started pretty well…

Leota was the best forward by a mile in the Grand Final and arguably was the best player on the field. Honestly if it wasn't for Edward's spectacular Sattler like tackle he'd have gotten the CCHM.

Does that mean he is the best player, or best forward from either the Panthers or Eels over the 2022 season?

If you suggest that you'd get laughed at. Leota is an above average prop who just had a WHALE of a game. No way is he better than Fish, Paulo, Kikau, Martin and arguably in 2022 - Lane. Even RCG is a toss up. Point being you can't take one game, or one part of a game and use that to characterise that player as a whole.

maple_69

Bench
That grand final we also played completely differently to pretty much every other game for the past few years. We went for the throat immediately and potentially it was so successful because it was expected that we’d just aim to slog it out until Api came on, we’d done some good strangling and hit the afterburners. Kenny is Salmon tier, just fine playing a limited role, but he’s nowhere near a spine player in a contender.

Munky

Coach
That grand final we also played completely differently to pretty much every other game for the past few years. We went for the throat immediately and potentially it was so successful because it was expected that we’d just aim to slog it out until Api came on, we’d done some good strangling and hit the afterburners. Kenny is Salmon tier, just fine playing a limited role, but he’s nowhere near a spine player in a contender.

I'll forever maintain the GF was won in the seventeenth minute at six nil.

RCG had a dominant run on the fourth tackle.

Ball goes to Moses on tje attacking 40m with plenty of time. He puts up a regulation bomb direct to Edwards with no kick pressure. Dylan runs twenty offloads to To'o who makes another twenty.

Api is now on the field and To'o goes over at the end of the set.

The only weakness in the backline was Staines' kick returns and they didn't take advantage. Terrible game planning or halfback play (or both).

Has their been any further whispers on T.Wilton and if Panthers are still interested in pursuing his signature?

Here is a list of players Panthers should at the very least discuss about possibility of moving over (all off contract from next season - please excuse if some have signed already elsewhere).

I have kept it to positions they need to look at shoring (bench prop, impact 2nd row and hooker)

I’d like to read some members opinions on what they think of said players and if it’s worth consideration -

E.Guler (Raiders) - replaces S.Leniu & provide some more size to the pack. Could be handy 25-30 min player used off bench for impact.

C.Waddell (Dogs) - more so a top 30 player to fill the spots and be a call up for any potential injuries. Would be good in Cup side - could be used any number of ways in the 17 NRL side.

J.Berrell (Sharks) - can be developed into a good hooker. He has always been decent when called into the Shark 17 whenever Brailey is injured. Crazy no one’s mentioned him yet. Arguably best Cup hooker imo.

T.Moeroa (Storm) - much like Guler in what he would do for Panthers. I’ll go one further and say he can potentially be moulded into a Kikau style impact second rower with the right coaching instead of being just middle. Food for thought.

H.Sele (Souths) - can be used in a variety of ways at Panthers. Versatile forward. Would be a wonder 30 man squad player.

J.Turpin (Roosters) - make no mistake this guy can play a decent dummy half. I’d argue he is better than Kenny in many ways with his creativity. Not as strong defensively but that can be taught with right attitude. He is already playing predominately Cup and would be silly to not atleast entertain the idea.

Has their been any further whispers on T.Wilton and if Panthers are still interested in pursuing his signature?

Here is a list of players Panthers should at the very least discuss about possibility of moving over (all off contract from next season - please excuse if some have signed already elsewhere).

I have kept it to positions they need to look at shoring (bench prop, impact 2nd row and hooker)

I’d like to read some members opinions on what they think of said players and if it’s worth consideration -

E.Guler (Raiders) - replaces S.Leniu & provide some more size to the pack. Could be handy 25-30 min player used off bench for impact.

C.Waddell (Dogs) - more so a top 30 player to fill the spots and be a call up for any potential injuries. Would be good in Cup side - could be used any number of ways in the 17 NRL side.

J.Berrell (Sharks) - can be developed into a good hooker. He has always been decent when called into the Shark 17 whenever Brailey is injured. Crazy no one’s mentioned him yet. Arguably best Cup hooker imo.

T.Moeroa (Storm) - much like Guler in what he would do for Panthers. I’ll go one further and say he can potentially be moulded into a Kikau style impact second rower with the right coaching instead of being just middle. Food for thought.

H.Sele (Souths) - can be used in a variety of ways at Panthers. Versatile forward. Would be a wonder 30 man squad player.

J.Turpin (Roosters) - make no mistake this guy can play a decent dummy half. I’d argue he is better than Kenny in many ways with his creativity. Not as strong defensively but that can be taught with right attitude. He is already playing predominately Cup and would be silly to not atleast entertain the idea.
I like all this, but have our management finished the last beer from the GF22, because they still asleep at the wheel!

Copperhead

Juniors

I'd only consider Guler and Berrell. An absolute no to Turpin. Guler always impresses me, carries the ball strongly. And with Berrell.......well we've got to try something.

Bred not Bought

Juniors
We need to sign a hooker as we don’t have one in the club.

2nd most important position imo. Not a position you go cheap in.

Most teams that have won a GF usually have a Hooker with rep experience. Current rep player or past one.

22: Api (rep player)
21: Api (rep player)
20: C Smith (rep player)
19: Verrills/ Friend (rep player)
18: Friend (rep player)
17: C Smith (rep player)
16: Ennis (rep player)
15: Granville (No rep)
14: Api no rep experience then, replaced the rep experience Isaac Luke who was suspended.
13: Friend. Not a rep player at the time.
12: C Smith (rep player)
11: Ballin. Yes he played one game for Qld. Really in 2010. (rep player)

tok

Juniors
I know we couldn’t absolutely dominate the comp for much longer but I’m very worried that if we don’t change our game style/players in the team we just won’t be able to win comps playing the way we do.

The loss of Api and Kik’s is too much to overcome simply by relying on our defence and hoping we can scrap our way to three tries a match.

This might not be popular opinion but I feel like the way we play (dominate field position and use our line speed and defence to suffocate teams) that we will be burnt out very soon. Our attack is pedestrian this year, everything is on Cleary, we don’t have a Hooker in the club that is a good first grade Hooker, even Luke is showing why he played so much lower grade footy, his decision making and passing is pretty average.

I feel we have to attract a few players with some attacking instinct and ability to beat players one on one.

Players we should be targeting are guys like Jaiden Campbell, Zac Lomax, even Conor Tracey is too good for reserve grade and could be a good option at centre for us. There has to be a few others as well that are looking for an opportunity.

As good as Dyl is for us I feel like we need another point of attack in our spine. I think we have a few hard decisions to be made and i wouldn’t be against letting both Dyl and Luai go. Let them get that big contract somewhere else. I think Dylan in particular is a wonderful player but if we don’t change the way we play I feel like we can’t win the comp for a while again. We need to use that money to attract a top quality Hooker, of which there aren’t many but it’s such an important position for us.

Bob

Juniors

Hooker is our main problem, Turpin is a no, Burrell is the same age, height and weight as Soni Luke, why change one for the other, if we have to buy a hooker Jake Simpkin would be my choice or we could go for Tyson Smoothy, was with us when Covid hit, went back to qld, played 4 first grade games for the storm and is now in the Broncos top 30