What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
And I know we've been discussing it for years, but everytime I see Jake Averillo play I get more convinced that he'd be a massive stud for us. Straight swap for Critta, at half the price.

He and Topine should of been who they built their team around

age.s

First Grade
Averillo would be an unreal signing. Already very good with plenty of time for growth. Not sure he'll be an option though.

age.s

First Grade
I dunno about Flanno Jr. He doesn't seem bad enough to be dumped by clubs in the way he has been, so I'd like to know what's going on with him behind the scenes.

soc123_au

Staff member
I dunno about Flanno Jr. He doesn't seem bad enough to be dumped by clubs in the way he has been, so I'd like to know what's going on with him behind the scenes.
I think he is just the scapegoat at the Dogs. The Roosters dumping him is a little concerning and iirc had something to do with attitude. You would think he would be a bit more mature now though and keen for a chance to prove himself in a good setup.

Copperhead

Juniors
I think he is just the scapegoat at the Dogs. The Roosters dumping him is a little concerning and iirc had something to do with attitude. You would think he would be a bit more mature now though and keen for a chance to prove himself in a good setup.
He doesn't run as a half, so I can't see him doing it as a hooker, and that's something we desperately need. That and clean service.

soc123_au

Staff member
He doesn't run as a half, so I can't see him doing it as a hooker, and that's something we desperately need. That and clean service.
I think his lack of running game is over stated tbh. He runs it, just lacks confidence to know when. At 9 it's a bit easier, quick ptb, markers out of position = run. He isn't going to replicate Api, but I think there is enough there that he would be coachable.

I think his lack of running game is over stated tbh. He runs it, just lacks confidence to know when. At 9 it's a bit easier, quick ptb, markers out of position = run. He isn't going to replicate Api, but I think there is enough there that he would be coachable.
Can't believe I'm warming to this. Maybe sign of desperation in my half, but what the heck! Maybe something in it, though Egan should be tried 1st.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
And I know we've been discussing it for years, but everytime I see Jake Averillo play I get more convinced that he'd be a massive stud for us. Straight swap for Critta, at half the price.
I’m still on board with signing him. Always been a fan. Great kid on and off the field

The Realist

Juniors
I wonder if Ben Hunt would like to play Hooker? When Hook gets the punt, he has already said he isnt at all keen on restarting under someone else at the Dragons.. Dragons pay a bit of freight, we solve our 9 issue and he comes to a team with potential to win a premiership once again in the next few years.

Hmmmm that isn't a bad idea - a bit of a J.Wighton going on. Come to the Panthers to win a premiership at 1/2 your market value. He'd instantly solve the #9 problem.

At 7 you need to time when you run.

At 9 he can just play eyes up footy
To me Young Flanno doesn’t really seem to be an eyes up footballer; plays better in structure.

Maybe he would prove me wrong, and at 60k it is a gamble worth taking (even if just to play a few games of halfback during the Origin series).

Iamback

Coach
To me Young Flanno doesn’t really seem to be an eyes up footballer; plays better in structure.

Maybe he would prove me wrong, and at 60k it is a gamble worth taking (even if just to play a few games of halfback during the Origin series).

Even if so. Give the halves better ball and the odd kick puts us in a better spot as it isn't predictable

Original Name

Juniors
I wonder if Ben Hunt would like to play Hooker? When Hook gets the punt, he has already said he isnt at all keen on restarting under someone else at the Dragons.. Dragons pay a bit of freight, we solve our 9 issue and he comes to a team with potential to win a premiership once again in the next few years.
He's publicly said multiple times after playing hooker post game when asked about this he considers himself a halfback which is a polite way of saying he isn't interested in playing hooker. I don't know why Dragons would pay freight to get rid of Hunt anyone more than we would pay freight to get rid of Cleary or Yeo.
What's the benefit for the Dogs. They get Crichton for 3/4ths of a year and lose Averillo for the next 12 years? Why would they do it?

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
He's publicly said multiple times after playing hooker post game when asked about this he considers himself a halfback which is a polite way of saying he isn't interested in playing hooker. I don't know why Dragons would pay freight to get rid of Hunt anyone more than we would pay freight to get rid of Cleary or Yeo.

What's the benefit for the Dogs. They get Crichton for 3/4ths of a year and lose Averillo for the next 12 years? Why would they do it?
I think its questionable if there a spot at the Dogs for Avarillo going forward. They cant seem to settle on a position for him, have a few decent prospects in the outside backs coming through and have Critta and Xerri signed for next year. He might get squeezed out.

I think its questionable if there a spot at the Dogs for Avarillo going forward. They cant seem to settle on a position for him, have a few decent prospects in the outside backs coming through and have Critta and Xerri signed for next year. He might get squeezed out.
Forgot they signed Xerri, that makes Crichton's signing even more strange. Would be great if we did pick up Averillo.

soc123_au

Staff member
Forgot they signed Xerri, that makes Crichton's signing even more strange. Would be great if we did pick up Averillo.
No idea if we have even considered it tbh, or Flanno jnr for that matter. @Blade23 any idea if the club has given any thought into Avarillo as a Crichton replacement or Flanno Jnr as a 9?

Personally as much as I rate Avarillo, I think we are ok in the backs.

Latest posts