What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Pomoz

Bench
I don’t know if Billy Burns is coming back but he never wanted to leave Penrith in the 1st place. He only moved to the Dragons for a clearer path to FG. I think at the time Kikau, Martin and Capewell were ahead of him here.
Hi Roosters Rule. How is life in the big smoke? Is Robinson in the crosshairs of Nick? He seems to be struggling this year to get the team to fire. What are your thoughts on Teddy, is it time to move him on while he is still attractive to teams like the Tigers or the Dogs?

Exsilium

Coach
Not these days

I said this on the Dragons forum but the game has progressed so much with sports science, training and sports physiology that players in their 30’s are not “has beens”.

Go back a decade and would a club like the Dragons be miffed about losing a 33yr old halfback? Probably not.

Pomoz

Bench
I haven't said who for a good reason.
The club is looking at a few fringe players for next year. The club is after about 2/3:externals atm. The Ex Panther is one of the options. He wants to come back.
So did Tamou a few months into his deal at the Tigers.
So did CHN a few years back.
Sometimes the club moves on.
That says a lot about the current culture at Penrith.The boys all seem tight and without the salary cap pressures I’m sure we wouldn’t have lost many players. Kudos also to the sports science boffins at the Panthers. I’m sure the players who left look back at the physical condition they achieved and what they become at their new clubs and don’t miss the hard work, but miss the benefits of being in peak condition. Look at Peachey, he is a new man with the right physical training.

That said and I know this is controversial, especially after I whined like a bitch about Leniu, but the turnover of players is good for the club. It freshens the team up, reduces complacency and gives opportunities to our juniors. We aren’t the Roosters. We can’t buy another player. The turnover of players is perfect for our “Development Club” strategy. Obviously the key part is keeping the right players. Three animal forwards* and the spine** (*copyright Wayne Bennett. **copyright Melbourne Storm). Keep those intact and the rest can move around.

The spine are the brains, the “animal” forwards are the brawn. You can’t bash the Panthers. Leota, Leniu, JFH, Kenny and Martin won’t allow it. “You want some?”, don’t worry we have plenty, cop this……….

Roosters rule

Juniors
Hi Roosters Rule. How is life in the big smoke? Is Robinson in the crosshairs of Nick? He seems to be struggling this year to get the team to fire. What are your thoughts on Teddy, is it time to move him on while he is still attractive to teams like the Tigers or the Dogs?

Hi Pomoz. Going well.
Robbo is safe. Has runs on the board and is tight with Uncle Nick. He needs to make a few tough calls though. Some of the retention and signings boggles me. I love the Spencer signing next year. Not fussed on Dom Young. Brandon Smith so far has been an expensive bust.
IMO the club rushed too quickly to re-sign Teddy. He is slipping. There is a belief to have long serving players finish their careers here. like Aubo. Players like JWH, Teddy and Toops fit that bracket. I am not nostalgic, I would move them on.
I don't think Robbo has kept up with with the new rules compared to other coaches either. Our discipline and defence sucks. Ryles and Suaalii were/are unwelcome distractions. Angus delayed start to the year hasn't helped.
Other clubs like yours (even with the loss of players) are on another level. Feels like we are in a long premiership hangover and haven't planned for the future.

Pomoz

Bench
Hi Pomoz. Going well.
Robbo is safe. Has runs on the board and is tight with Uncle Nick. He needs to make a few tough calls though. Some of the retention and signings boggles me. I love the Spencer signing next year. Not fussed on Dom Young. Brandon Smith so far has been an expensive bust.
IMO the club rushed too quickly to re-sign Teddy. He is slipping. There is a belief to have long serving players finish their careers here. like Aubo. Players like JWH, Teddy and Toops fit that bracket. I am not nostalgic, I would move them on.
I don't think Robbo has kept up with with the new rules compared to other coaches either. Our discipline and defence sucks. Ryles and Suaalii were/are unwelcome distractions. Angus delayed start to the year hasn't helped.
Other clubs like yours (even with the loss of players) are on another level. Feels like we are in a long premiership hangover and haven't planned for the future.
Yeah, Ryles, Angus and the Sua’alii situation haven’t helped you at all this year. Sua’alii really lost form when the signing was announced, understandable he is only a young bloke. You also suffered the same as we did with the World Cup players all looking tired. Manu, Teddy, Cleary, Luai all looked buggered at the start of the year. We had eight players in the final and the bragging rights are good, but all it meant is we started the year flat and listless and some of those players got injuries.

As for Teddy, Wayne Bennett says “better a year too early than a year too late” when it comes to moving players. Who am I to argue with that?

Spencer will be great for you. He won’t be intimidated by anybody and will be your enforcer when big, bad JWH hangs up his knuckle dusters. I am upset we couldn’t keep him.

If you get the Dom Young from the World Cup, he will be great for you and a better winger than Sua’alii. It’s hard to gauge his ceiling playing at the Knights.

I am nostalgic and I would love to be able to keep club legends to finish their career here, but the salary cap doesn’t allow it. At some point, Yeo, Cleary et al will need to be tapped on the shoulder. If you don’t make those tough decisions, you will slide into mediocrity especially if your whole strategy is built around development. Clog up the pathways with veterans and all the good young players will leave.

I can see that discipline is an issue for you. Robbo has to stop blaming refs, it is the wrong message to the players. The refs will ref. Focus on your own game. Ivan, who sounds illiterate next to the erudite Robbo, made a comment last week which highlights what I mean. The journalist said “the NAS try didn’t look a try from any angle, what do you think?”. Ivan replied “probably, but it didn’t matter they deserved to score at that point. They were dominating us”. Robbo would have gone off on one in two languages, explaining how it changed the balance of the game and caused butterflies in the Amazon to become extinct….

Exsilium

Coach
Been the clubs chaplain the last several years. As well as a minister at Emu Plains.

I’ll never forget the second to last season on his contract, we played the Tigers at Campbeltown and got belted. He stayed back, signed a heap of autographs and caught the train home with the rest of us fans. He was so great with the kids. Gave his boots away. Lovely guy.

Glad he’s with us still.

Roosters rule

Juniors
Yeah, Ryles, Angus and the Sua’alii situation haven’t helped you at all this year. Sua’alii really lost form when the signing was announced, understandable he is only a young bloke. You also suffered the same as we did with the World Cup players all looking tired. Manu, Teddy, Cleary, Luai all looked buggered at the start of the year. We had eight players in the final and the bragging rights are good, but all it meant is we started the year flat and listless and some of those players got injuries.

As for Teddy, Wayne Bennett says “better a year too early than a year too late” when it comes to moving players. Who am I to argue with that?

Spencer will be great for you. He won’t be intimidated by anybody and will be your enforcer when big, bad JWH hangs up his knuckle dusters. I am upset we couldn’t keep him.

If you get the Dom Young from the World Cup, he will be great for you and a better winger than Sua’alii. It’s hard to gauge his ceiling playing at the Knights.

I am nostalgic and I would love to be able to keep club legends to finish their career here, but the salary cap doesn’t allow it. At some point, Yeo, Cleary et al will need to be tapped on the shoulder. If you don’t make those tough decisions, you will slide into mediocrity especially if your whole strategy is built around development. Clog up the pathways with veterans and all the good young players will leave.

I can see that discipline is an issue for you. Robbo has to stop blaming refs, it is the wrong message to the players. The refs will ref. Focus on your own game. Ivan, who sounds illiterate next to the erudite Robbo, made a comment last week which highlights what I mean. The journalist said “the NAS try didn’t look a try from any angle, what do you think?”. Ivan replied “probably, but it didn’t matter they deserved to score at that point. They were dominating us”. Robbo would have gone off on one in two languages, explaining how it changed the balance of the game and caused butterflies in the Amazon to become extinct….

Robbo has been attacking the refs from day dot. He deflects attention away from the real issues or seeks to get a little curry from the refs next time.

As I said I am not nostalgic. I would rather club legends finish on top. Seeing them play a year or two long is something I don't like. Ivan made the right call on Mansour.
Robbo needs to be ruthless.

Even with the right succession plan you will find some players regress quicker than expected. Either from the body breaking down or desire.
I don't think I would want Fisher-harris, Leota, Sorrenson, To'o and Yeo all coming off contract 26/27. Leaves a big hole if they all go in one hit. Or worse they regress. Just my opinion.

We didn't plan for it here. Some are living off the smell of past glories and should be moved on. Now we need a cleanout but what is on the market right now isn't much class.

Spencer is a great pick-up.
Dom Young has potential, but from what I have seen at the Knights he does have a few brain farts in him.

Our halves are a mess. Keary should be moved on. Walker stopped running before he got dropped. Future uncertain.

We have had a good the run. The last decade was prosperous enough.