What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Fangs

Coach
If that happens, and it's highly unlikely, I can imagine, Burton would be out of our price range, and he may not want to return.

He will be the same price if not cheaper than Luai.

Luai/Burton is not the future of the Dogs. They only have room for one in the 6. Burton won't play centre for the Dogs on the money he has right now so Gould will release/trade.

And just about every player in the game wants a run at Penrith. I can't see him being disinterested.

He will be the same price if not cheaper than Luai.

Luai/Burton is not the future of the Dogs. They only have room for one in the 6. Burton won't play centre for the Dogs on the money he has right now so Gould will release/trade.

And just about every player in the game wants a run at Penrith. I can't see him being disinterested.
I'm probably reading things wrong, his departure was acrimonious?

Fangs

Coach
I'm probably reading things wrong, his departure was acrimonious?

I don't recall that.

The only one pissy at the time was Laundy. They wanted him for 2021 and we wouldn't budge. Great decision made by Penrith and for Burton as well since we won the 2021 competition.

Since then his career has stalled, maybe even gone backwards. He would excel back in the 6 at Penrith.

Pomoz

Bench
He's good not great. We let Burton go and he's better, we'll be fine
I had to put my latte down….There is no universe where Burton is better than Luai right now. Luai led his side to a World Cup final, has three premiership rings and plays busted in a grand final with an injury that most players can’t handle without another months recovery, let alone in the intensity of finals. Luai stood up to being assaulted in SOO and has never hid. Burton took a pasting and wasn’t sighted afterwards.

Burton could be better than Luai, but I have yet to see the warrior’s spirit in him that will make him dig deep when the chips are down. Luai will be in the trenches with you, side by side. Burton? Possibly, probably not.

Read the Dogs forums, plenty of Dogs fans think he is a centre, not a five eighth and plenty think he is useless. I think he has yet to reach his potential, but is a long way from being a leader and skilled five eighth in Luai’s class.

All the people wanting Luai to leave, just don’t get what he brings to the team. Not everybody can run like Ezra Mam and pass like Cody Walker. His grit, defense and energy make our team function better. He will leave a massive hole if he goes and I really hope he is a Panther for life. We risk losing the essence of the greatest NRL team of this era if he leaves. On top of all the other key player losses it will be a bridge too far.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I had to put my latte down….There is no universe where Burton is better than Luai right now. Luai led his side to a World Cup final, has three premiership rings and plays busted in a grand final with an injury that most players can’t handle without another months recovery, let alone in the intensity of finals. Luai stood up to being assaulted in SOO and has never hid. Burton took a pasting and wasn’t sighted afterwards.

Burton could be better than Luai, but I have yet to see the warrior’s spirit in him that will make him dig deep when the chips are down. Luai will be in the trenches with you, side by side. Burton? Possibly, probably not.

Read the Dogs forums, plenty of Dogs fans think he is a centre, not a five eighth and plenty think he is useless. I think he has yet to reach his potential, but is a long way from being a leader and skilled five eighth in Luai’s class.

All the people wanting Luai to leave, just don’t get what he brings to the team. Not everybody can run like Ezra Mam and pass like Cody Walker. His grit, defense and energy make our team function better. He will leave a massive hole if he goes and I really hope he is a Panther for life. We risk losing the essence of the greatest NRL team of this era if he leaves. On top of all the other key player losses it will be a bridge too far.
Anyone thinking he's just a centre is an idiot. He's a running 5/8 the same as Luai. Just very different running styles

Fangs

Coach
Anyone thinking he's just a centre is an idiot. He's a running 5/8 the same as Luai. Just very different running styles

Though he would be an excellent centre. Its his pathway into the rep teams, either that or off the bench.

Funny looking back at 2021 now. Luai and Burton were in a similar place. Talented but not proven. They could have had very different careers.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He has played his best football at centre. He was the Dally M centre of the year.

He’s done bugger all at 5/8.

He doesn’t comfortable in the halves at all. Plenty of work to do if he’s going to be at Luai’s level

Iamback

Coach
Maybe back in the day, but they pretty much all come back to 100% these days.

You say he only started 6 games at centre, but if you watch, he moves into centre all the through the game. He defended there plenty in the NRL side. I also know that he’s always been seen as a future centre and was working towards that prior to his injury.

He will do very well there, different to critter, he’ll be a Bradman best style, what we use to call “crash” centre.

Again no one is saying he won't be a good centre but used 6 players at centre this year, That was with an Origin rep who played in every game he could.

Defending next to Laurie or Schneider only a fool would say there is no risk early on next year

Pantherjim.

Referee
If he leaves I would have thought the Dogs. They will offer silly money and he has some of his mates there. Tigers would be a waste.
His old managing agreement expires next week. If he self managers we are in with a shot. If he signs with Black Money then goodbye.
I keep hearing Dogs. 4 year deal well over a mil. linking up with the Crichton brothers.

As I said: mine is unsubstantiated but a fairly strong source.

Surely the Dogs wouldn’t have much salary cap space now to offer Jarome much of anything considering who they’ve poached so far?

Might be for the same motivation as to why Api signed with them: I.e. He’ll be 27 in January, he’s won three premiership rings with us, represented his State and Samoa, now he just wants to make as much money as he can with the little time in his career that he has left?

MugaB

Coach
As I said: mine is unsubstantiated but a fairly strong source.

Surely the Dogs wouldn’t have much salary cap space now to offer Jarome much of anything considering who they’ve poached so far?

Might be for the same motivation as to why Api signed with them: I.e. He’ll be 27 in January, he’s won three premiership rings with us, represented his State and Samoa, now he just wants to make as much money as he can with the little time in his career that he has left?
27 is almost prime for a half... he can still kick on for another 6-7 seasons minimum depending on injuries, if you look at DCE or Foran, even Reynolds just resigned for a further 2 years