What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Bradman best is 103kgs and built like a brick shithouse.

Taylan is probs sitting about 94 95 atm and is absolutely jacked. Im tipping he may shed a kg or 2 in the off season when the conditioning ramps up.

Hes a strong player and a strong runner but hes certainly not a bradman best or an old school crash player as you describe.

He uses his speed and great stepping to beat players.. yes he can take hard carrys and is hard to tackle but he is way way more than just a "crash" player.

Its

His defence needs a lot of work.

His best attribute is his running game.

Always has been.
Please tell me what you think a crash centre is, because I think you are way off. I’ll give you a clue, it’s got nothing to do with running over the top of someone.

“He’s defence is excellent, he’s a very smart player, with a great tackling technique”

Thats a direct quote from a professional NRL recruitment officer I had beers with Friday.

I’m not sure you could be anymore wrong with your player assessments if you tried.

Girds89

Bench
Please tell me what you think a crash centre is, because I think you are way off. I’ll give you a clue, it’s got nothing to do with running over the top of someone.

“He’s defence is excellent, he’s a very smart player, with a great tackling technique”

Thats a direct quote from a professional NRL recruitment officer I had beers with Friday.

I’m not sure you could be anymore wrong with your player assessments if you tried.

Taylan is a good defender.. i was talking about matt burtons defence in the bottom part of that.. just hasnt quoted properly.

But since youve mentioned taylans defence i will say he has played about 6 games at centre in cup. It will take him some time to find his feet there returning to the game after 12 months out and playing in a new position. Cant expect him to be critta. You need more than just a good tackling technique to be a good defensive centre.

Taylan isnt a crash centre. I dont care if your best mates with wayne bennett haha.

You really need to get your head out of your arse mate. Its just sad.

You troll this forums like your opinion is godly and never wrong.

The fact youre comparing taylan to best really is a strange comparison. They are completley different styles of players. Thered be literally 20 players more similar to what taylan offers than bradman.

Girds89

Bench
Went back and looked @Luke Bowden disregard. It did quote properly..you just havent read posts again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231015_172641_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015_172641_Samsung Internet.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 14

Iamback

Coach
I get dick riding our players but there needs to be perspective.

We are going in with a centre who once again looked poor defensively and a rookie.

That is the reality of where the side sits right now. Potentially there are great options but not as it stands now

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Taylan is a good defender.. i was talking about matt burtons defence in the bottom part of that.. just hasnt quoted properly.

But since youve mentioned taylans defence i will say he has played about 6 games at centre in cup. It will take him some time to find his feet there returning to the game after 12 months out and playing in a new position. Cant expect him to be critta. You need more than just a good tackling technique to be a good defensive centre.

Taylan isnt a crash centre. I dont care if your best mates with wayne bennett haha.

You really need to get your head out of your arse mate. Its just sad.

You troll this forums like your opinion is godly and never wrong.

The fact youre comparing taylan to best really is a strange comparison. They are completley different styles of players. Thered be literally 20 players more similar to what taylan offers than bradman.
You’re the troll Champ and it’s actually sad.

I post my observations and you choose to argue with them.

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, if you did, you wouldn’t make such stupid comments.

A crash centre is a centre that uses his feet to attack inside shoulders of of a defence line. As opposed to skipping to the outside shoulder, like most centres.
Best does it regularly and I’ve seen Taylan do the same. If you understood, you’d realise that I was comparing their styles.

It’s called a crash centre, because if you get it wrong, you get jammed.

Don’t comment on shit you don’t understand and maybe you’ll look less foolish.

Girds89

Bench

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, if you did, you wouldn’t make such stupid comments.

A crash centre is a centre that uses his feet to attack inside shoulders of of a defence line. As opposed to skipping to the outside shoulder, like most centres.
Best does it regularly and I’ve seen Taylan do the same. If you understood, you’d realise that I was comparing their styles.

Mate the crash centre play or 2nd row play or inside centre play in union has been around forever.

The fact you think you need to explain it to a single person on here shows how deluded you are.

Anyone thats played the game or watched footy knows haha.. you arent some all knowing god hahah. Its extremley basic footy 101 stuff haha.

Intersting that you watched all 6 games of taylans at centre in nsw cup. Can you recall anything else from those games.... to date he hasnt played a single game of centre in the nrl..yet youre comparing him to best.. from a small handful of games from over 2 years ago in nsw cup....

Penrith very very rarely use our centres for a crash play.

Soro and martin run those lines with dyl or luai sweeping out the back.

With the complexity of the obstruction rule in modern rugby league... and teams milking the crash play run to get penalties it isnt used as much as it was in years gone by.. teams know they are a high chance of getting a penalty if the crash runner doesnt get the ball and he gets his line wrong and takes someone out...

Penrith (soro, martin) run the decoy crash lines brilliantly. They are probs the two best in the league at firstly selling it, but secondly ensuring that they actually get to the inside shoulder and do whatever they have to manoeuvre their body to avoid contact.. not all clubs are as disciplined as us in that regard. Its clearly something ivan puts a extremley high focus on...

Whilst it wasnt a crash play.. nathans last try in the gf was a perfect example of our guys being super aware of the obstruction rule and doing whatever they have to to get out of the way of defenders..

Sorensens work to run backwarsds out of the line under extreme fatigue was deadset brilliance and hasnt been spoken about but it was a huge play from him.

Souths are one of the best teams to utilise it. They like to play flat, fast and direct. Normally campbell graham runs that play for them, will get a really quick play the ball and cook feeds off that.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Mate the crash centre play or 2nd row play or inside centre play in union has been around forever.

The fact you think you need to explain it to a single person on here shows how deluded you are.

Anyone thats played the game or watched footy knows haha.. you arent some all knowing god hahah. Its extremley basic footy 101 stuff haha.

Intersting that you watched all 6 games of taylans at centre in nsw cup. Can you recall anything else from those games.... to date he hasnt played a single game of centre in the nrl..yet youre comparing him to best.. from a small handful of games from over 2 years ago in nsw cup....

Penrith very very rarely use our centres for a crash play.

Soro and martin run those lines with dyl or luai sweeping out the back.

With the complexity of the obstruction rule in modern rugby league... and teams milking the crash play run to get penalties it isnt used as much as it was in years gone by.. teams know they are a high chance of getting a penalty if the crash runner doesnt get the ball and he gets his line wrong and takes someone out...

Penrith (soro, martin) run the decoy crash lines brilliantly. They are probs the two best in the league at firstly selling it, but secondly ensuring that they actually get to the inside shoulder and do whatever they have to manoeuvre their body to avoid contact.. not all clubs are as disciplined as us in that regard. Its clearly something ivan puts a extremley high focus on...

Whilst it wasnt a crash play.. nathans last try in the gf was a perfect example of our guys being super aware of the obstruction rule and doing whatever they have to to get out of the way of defenders..

Sorensens work to run backwarsds out of the line under extreme fatigue was deadset brilliance and hasnt been spoken about but it was a huge play from him.

Souths are one of the best teams to utilise it. They like to play flat, fast and direct. Normally campbell graham runs that play for them, will get a really quick play the ball and cook feeds off that.
Oh my god.

I’m certainly not the god of all knowledge, but this is very simple shit.

Rugby Crash Centre is very different, it’s a different sport.

You’re amazing.

The Realist

Juniors
I never played the game and the NRL commentary and post game analysis shows do an absolutely abysmal job of educating the viewer about some of the technicalities and tactics of modern Rugby League. I have tried to educate myself through watching and the occassional pub chat but there is only so much you can learn that way.

Can someone explain the different styles of centre, and how they differ from each other?

Can you use examples from our current/past centres? What was Critta, Burton, Michael Jennings, Girdler? What type of centre is Tago?

WestyLife

First Grade

That's a cool insight. Wish we got more analysis like this.

Iamback

Coach
So you understand a block play, you can surely understand how crash centres work.

Why would a centre crash into the line?

It takes the winger out of the following play, In fact it wastes a tackle full stop.

Teams use the 2nd rower for this, to try and get the half one on one with a bigger 2nd rower.

That then forces the opposition 2nd rower or centre to help.

A quick play the ball and you have a centre or a backrower out of position, The opposition slides too much and the winger goes in untouched.

That doesn't work if it is a centre doing it because it doesn't attract the winger. So you box yourself in for the next play.

So Girds is right in the current NRL there are no crash centres

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Why would a centre crash into the line?

It takes the winger out of the following play, In fact it wastes a tackle full stop.

Teams use the 2nd rower for this, to try and get the half one on one with a bigger 2nd rower.

That then forces the opposition 2nd rower or centre to help.

A quick play the ball and you have a centre or a backrower out of position, The opposition slides too much and the winger goes in untouched.

That doesn't work if it is a centre doing it because it doesn't attract the winger. So you box yourself in for the next play.

So Girds is right in the current NRL there are no crash centres
Because “Crashing” into the line isn’t what you think it is.

Second rowers generally run in the tram lines or run overs lines.

It’s about the the angle the Centre runs. Brad Best runs it all the time. Billy smith is another that runs it a lot, but their set up is slightly different.

Latest posts