What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Nothing to lose. Young and powerfull. Dogs made some ok signings but they let this kid and Averillo go. To me that's just odd.
Alamoti was talked up for years. His job wasn't made easy playingnin a shit side. A lot easier to play in a strong side with less chances to be exposed.
I hope he turns into a star. Dogs fans will be livid.
He was in contact talks with the Bulldogs, the Panthers offered him a contract, and the rest is history.

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Well even our centres and wingers have a licence to kick in goal so it's highly doubtful it's coaching
It’s definitely coaching.
We don’t like to force line drop outs, particularly in the first half.

We want the ball in play, so we can attack with our defence.

You can’t keep saying that our attack must evolve and then complain when they do something different.

mxlegend99

Referee
Forcing drop outs seems less beneficial than it used to be. What used to be almost guaranteed to result in more possession and helped sustain pressure is now a lottery on the outcome. We got the results in the grand final though. Reynolds was shockingly bad with the boot.

i feel like the safer bet for building pressure is pinning the team inside their 10 on the first tackle and letting them waste a few tackles just trying to get into good field position and run lazy forwards back on side. Ultimately kicking from inside their own territory allowing our sets to start off where there sets ended almost.

it seems to keep the game flowing too and we thrive when theres less stoppages. Even if other teams look on top of us. They burn out and we don’t. Usually makes points easier to score for us. Its crazy how teams try to ambush us snd ultimately it works in our favour.

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
It’s definitely coaching.
We don’t like to force line drop outs, particularly in the first half.

We want the ball in play, so we can attack with our defence.

You can’t keep saying that our attack must evolve and then complain when they do something different.
Short kicking is his biggest strength. I want kicks for tries not dropouts

Luke Bowden

First Grade
We force a drop out

then we stuff up getting the ball back, we are the worst team with getting the ball from short drop outs
We force a drop out, we give the opposition a rest. Then it’s a 50/50 get the ball back.

We turn it over on the 5m mark and bash them for a full set. Do that enough and they are left with nothing in the tank.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Would you agree Luai had his least effective year in first grade?
I certainly would not.

I thought defensively that was his best year to date, he’s ability to read attacking structures is elite.

I was also quite impressed with his yardage kicking.

Before this year I thought we could easily replace him with a “Daine Laurie” type player, but we can’t, he’s no longer just a flashy “touch footy” type player.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I certainly would not.

I thought defensively that was his best year to date, he’s ability to read attacking structures is elite.

I was also quite impressed with his yardage kicking.

Before this year I thought we could easily replace him with a “Daine Laurie” type player, but we can’t, he’s no longer just a flashy “touch footy” type player.
His defence is fantastic but not having Kikau create all that space for him really showed imo.

maple_69

Bench
I agree he rounded out as a player despite looking less threatening himself but taking Kikau out of that edge isn’t going to be fixed overnight when our whole left hand shape was built around his presence. We go years without our right working at all and there’s a limited amount Jarome can do in his role because Yeo and Cleary aren’t doing the work inside. Luai also had a rotation of edge forwards and Peachey as much as anyone to combine with. I’m confident the way Luai/Clearys roles were evolving last year and the stability we’ll have in our spine, we’ll see a better season out of both.

Iamback

Coach
We force a drop out, we give the opposition a rest. Then it’s a 50/50 get the ball back.

We turn it over on the 5m mark and bash them for a full set. Do that enough and they are left with nothing in the tank.

I would even put us as high as 50/50

I agree he rounded out as a player despite looking less threatening himself but taking Kikau out of that edge isn’t going to be fixed overnight when our whole left hand shape was built around his presence. We go years without our right working at all and there’s a limited amount Jarome can do in his role because Yeo and Cleary aren’t doing the work inside. Luai also had a rotation of edge forwards and Peachey as much as anyone to combine with. I’m confident the way Luai/Clearys roles were evolving last year and the stability we’ll have in our spine, we’ll see a better season out of both.
He didn’t have Kiks but Sorro went alright in that edge; he looked plenty dangerous running off Luai.

I thought Luai was pretty good in the middle part of the season. The start was admittedly down on his high standards (with the ball) but the whole team looked disjointed at that point (albeit I do concede that as a half, Jarome (alongside Nathan) should take more of the criticism for that) and he was injured for the last big of the season. But in the middle he was good.

I personally think his skills and physical attributes have probably peaked, and will go on a slow decline for the rest of his career. His ability to maintain and even enhance his effectiveness will be down to the role he plays and therefore coaching. I really thought that in the Prelim he looked awesome, particularly in his combination with Nathan as they were switching roles and sides. Cogger also did that during his stints in the side, so it was obviously a coaching thing. And I thought it was great for all the players involved; allowed Luai to play straight and Nathan more time with the ball.

Obviously not Luai’s best game in the GF, he did look to be carrying that arm in a way he didn’t in his comeback.

But at the end of the day, if Luai has played his best footy and even if he didnt lace up a boot again, he was in the halves for a team that threepeated, he was the NSW halves for the first two game when NSW flogged QLD in QLD and led his Tier 2 nation to a World Cup final.

Guys a f@cking legend!!

Latest posts