What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

globalpanther

Juniors
Turuva for me is odd man out. He brings a lot to the team morale wise BUT he refuses to get in low for a try in corner, he seems to get hurt a lot & last wk dropped 2 he doesn’t normally do. Can see Right Side JMcLean Wing TAGO Centre, Left side TMay & To’o.

Kilkenny

Coach
Turuva for me is odd man out. He brings a lot to the team morale wise BUT he refuses to get in low for a try in corner, he seems to get hurt a lot & last wk dropped 2 he doesn’t normally do. Can see Right Side JMcLean Wing TAGO Centre, Left side TMay & To’o

Bit harsh on Sunia Turuva the kid picked up Dally M Rookie of the Year last season. Was an ever present and I can’t remember him dropping too many last year. Safe as houses. I thought I saw he picked up a Dally M point in the loss to the Storm. Could be wrong. Before we start penciling in Jesse McLean as his replacement Jesse has to demonstrate he is killing it in NSW Cup. I haven’t seen him do that yet.

Kilkenny

Coach
Turuva is really a fullback
You made this point before and yes he was for a while coming thru the juniors although he played multiple positions including 5/8.

I’m fine with competition for places, but I personally haven’t yet seen Jesse McLean perform at a level worthy of displacing Sunia Turuva. Hope he gets to that level, looking forward to seeing how he goes in NSW Cup this Friday night.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
You made this point before and yes he was for a while coming thru the juniors although he played multiple positions including 5/8.

I’m fine with competition for places, but I personally haven’t yet seen Jesse McLean perform at a level worthy of displacing Sunia Turuva. Hope he gets to that level, looking forward to seeing how he goes in NSW Cup this Friday night.
Oh it's still his spot for now but he's shown almost no improvement with his finishing in the corner. It's a real worry

Kilkenny

Coach
Oh it's still his spot for now but he's shown almost no improvement with his finishing in the corner. It's a real worry
That’s fine, but the player who is going to take his position needs to demonstrate in no uncertain terms he is a better option in all aspects. When and if such a player emerges then perhaps we will all be more than happy.

Sime_11

Juniors
Turuva will get 10+ tries this season - May is looking better each game a left centre and he will feed Tito - just give it time

Original Name

Juniors
I think Soni has to be told the bench position is his for his attack. Hopefully if he gets told that or feels confident enough to belief that he'll stop trying to score on every play and develop a bit more patience. He pulls the trigger all the time in Cup but isn't quite to the same level I don't think. I think he's just trying to hard to spark something when if he just needs to wait a bit.

In defence he just needs 5 more kilos or so to be at minimum a semi decent standard for a small minute bench hooker.
Gotta catch the ball first.
A one game sample size is a bit harsh to judge on. There was large amount of games he played last year and was relatively safe. It seems like overall he is pretty safe player and people complaining about drops is just recency bias.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I think Soni has to be told the bench position is his for his attack. Hopefully if he gets told that or feels confident enough to belief that he'll stop trying to score on every play and develop a bit more patience. He pulls the trigger all the time in Cup but isn't quite to the same level I don't think. I think he's just trying to hard to spark something when if he just needs to wait a bit.

In defence he just needs 5 more kilos or so to be at minimum a semi decent standard for a small minute bench hooker.

A one game sample size is a bit harsh to judge on. There was large amount of games he played last year and was relatively safe. It seems like overall he is pretty safe player and people complaining about drops is just recency bias.

Not attacking the line, I bombed atleast 10 tries but yes the other end he was great

maple_69

Bench
Turuva isn’t safe after one average game. Honestly. Teams entire game plans were based around targeting him last year so Edwards and To’o weren’t returning the ball and he barely ever cracked. He may well be the odd man out but it would only be because we can’t tie up more cap in outside backs rather than there being someone being ready to deliver a higher level. As an aside, given his biggest weakness appears to be finishing, and he has played centre in Cup, I wonder if he ever gets a look there, particularly if May demands more money than him.