What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Offload, break tackles, Something that sets him apart from what we already have in the side

Martin was always a great tackler, He hit guys hard which given the stage of the team at the time was what was needed
He breaks tackles now, do you actually watch games?

Mav reminds me heaps of Martin at that same point in his career. He makes his tackles and run good lines. He’ll be very good surrounded by better players.

I certainly don’t need to see Offloads and flashy stepping.

Crashtest

Juniors
I'm sure they'd be shown the real figures.
Given how Penrith have operated the last couple of years, I can’t imagine they would show the amount of contracts to the media. What would be the point?

If they did pay overs to keep Tago, thet wouldn’t want May or Turuva knowing about it if they are trying to sign them as well.

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Juniors
We don't pay overs, and on the rare occasion we aren't getting value for money, that player will be moved on. There's no shortage of clubs looking to pick up a former panther. I'm not concerned.

Abacus

Juniors
The simple argument might be that after losing Api, Kikau, Burton, Crichton, Luai that the club wasn't willing to risk losing Tago. Throw in some likely some competitive interest and Tago gets a comparatively better deal incorporating potential to become a strike second rower. The $3m likely includes a number of incentives that he can achieve over the next few years. I'd be surprised if his base contract is outside the $550k-$600k range.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The simple argument might be that after losing Api, Kikau, Burton, Crichton, Luai that the club wasn't willing to risk losing Tago. Throw in some likely some competitive interest and Tago gets a comparatively better deal incorporating potential to become a strike second rower. The $3m likely includes a number of incentives that he can achieve over the next few years. I'd be surprised if his base contract is outside the $550k-$600k range.

I think you're bang on. Also club has had to make this statement. So that Izack doesn't even come onto market. I see this as a pre pre-emptive strike.

You only have to look at the rubbish money thrown at Luai in the past few months.

To be honest I think the club will struggle to retain May. Especially now his brother is playing so well at the chooks.

Iamback

Coach
He breaks tackles now, do you actually watch games?

Mav reminds me heaps of Martin at that same point in his career. He makes his tackles and run good lines. He’ll be very good surrounded by better players.

I certainly don’t need to see Offloads and flashy stepping.

I will be sure to post a photo from my seat watching NSW Cup on Friday

You see how I put multiple things?

Blacker and Iongi were our 2 top tackle breakers last year.

Neither you could say was banging the down for selection.

Again though we have Martin to do that, Garner also ticks most of those boxes. We don't need another doing that, We need someone that offers something different

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I will be sure to post a photo from my seat watching NSW Cup on Friday

You see how I put multiple things?

Blacker and Iongi were our 2 top tackle breakers last year.

Neither you could say was banging the down for selection.

Again though we have Martin to do that, Garner also ticks most of those boxes. We don't need another doing that, We need someone that offers something different
I don’t agree.

we have won 3 premierships in a row with out a player that does something different.

What we need is for Geyer to do just what Scott Sorensen does. He needs to play well within our structure. Nothing more.

Soni Luke offers something different and you shout him down every week. I really don’t see the difference.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I don’t agree.

we have won 3 premierships in a row with out a player that does something different.

What we need is for Geyer to do just what Scott Sorensen does. He needs to play well within our structure. Nothing more.

Soni Luke offers something different and you shout him down every week. I really don’t see the difference.
I'd argue Kikau is different to every other backrower in the comp and Luai hasn't been the same without his presence attracting 2 or 3 defenders.

Original Name

Juniors
You're barking up the wrong tree if that's what you want from him. He isn't in any way a similar player to Scott Sorenson. He plods forward then uses his size to generate an offload or uses his smarts to get plod into a little half gap then offload. His thing is his size and skill level for a forward. His negatives are that he's a soft player.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You're barking up the wrong tree if that's what you want from him. He isn't in any way a similar player to Scott Sorenson. He plods forward then uses his size to generate an offload or uses his smarts to get plod into a little half gap then offload. His thing is his size and skill level for a forward. His negatives are that he's a soft player.

I’ve been watching him play for the last 5/6 years. I know what tree I’m barking up.

He is more than capable of making his tackles and running good lines. That’s what he’ll do in the NRL setup, once he gets his turn.

You only need to watch the way he trains with the top 30 squad.

I'd argue Kikau is different to every other backrower in the comp and Luai hasn't been the same without his presence attracting 2 or 3 defenders.
I thought there was a 4-5 week stretch last year around/just after origin when the Luai/Sorro combo looked as dangerous as Luai/Kiks ever did (albeit in a different way). Luai has been inconsistent since Kiks left; the last few games could be explained by the injury but early last year was poor by his standards.

MugaB

Coach
I thought there was a 4-5 week stretch last year around/just after origin when the Luai/Sorro combo looked as dangerous as Luai/Kiks ever did (albeit in a different way). Luai has been inconsistent since Kiks left; the last few games could be explained by the injury but early last year was poor by his standards.
Last year they wasted the first few games throwing in potential replacements for kikaus spot, when Ivan already knew Scotty2Hotty was going to own it, so as far as luai suffering, having salmon, hosking, garner, even martin switch sides, all sub into that role, would have been frustrating, hence the on field blow up he had with salmon, sorrenson was that right fit due to his size and speed...
I fear Ivan is tinkering again trying to fit square pegs into round holes, and wasting premiership points doing it

Iamback

Coach
I don’t agree.

Look at who we lost across those premierships

Kikau
Burton
Critta
Api
Spencer

Who offers what they do in our current squad? Literally every player who can start something from nothing has gone

Because Soni Luke only plays hooker, Kenny is an 80 min player. You can't get him on in most situations

Iamback

Coach

He had Peachey running at centre too which didn't help

Iamback

Coach

Exactly how I see it, teams with enough video work will eat that up

Latest posts