What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
I’ve been watching him play for the last 5/6 years. I know what tree I’m barking up.

He is more than capable of making his tackles and running good lines.
The thing about tackling is if he makes a soft tackle where the opposition dominates contact and gets a quick play the ball the opposition scores off the back of it then fans will blame someone else like saying oh this centre came in missed the tackle or whatever when you can trace it back to the forwards. That's why people say forwards win matches and backs decide by how much.

Maybe he is capable of not missing many and he is a good line runner but as of last year he's a soft player who it seems like isn't willing too tackle or run hard. You can cop not running hard but his contact in defence just isn't consistently NRL standard in my experience of watching him.
You only need to watch the way he trains with the top 30 squad.
I hope he's improved and is less raw compared to last year. I'll watch the Cup game on the NSW site and try to keep an eye on him.

The thing about tackling is if he makes a soft tackle where the opposition dominates contact and gets a quick play the ball the opposition scores off the back of it then fans will blame someone else like saying oh this centre came in missed the tackle or whatever when you can trace it back to the forwards. That's why people say forwards win matches and backs decide by how much.

Maybe he is capable of not missing many and he is a good line runner but as of last year he's a soft player who it seems like isn't willing too tackle or run hard. You can cop not running hard but his contact in defence just isn't consistently NRL standard in my experience of watching him.

I hope he's improved and is less raw compared to last year. I'll watch the Cup game on the NSW site and try to keep an eye on him.
Craig Bellamy noted the defensive problems last year at the Storm which is like what you are saying.

Our Panthers quite often caught Loiero out of position and went straight for Munster who inevitably sh*t himself which in turn dragged Olam in, causing an instant overlap.

Couldn't blame Munster, he's blessed, couldn't blame Loiero, he's a golden boy, so they blame Olam and ultimately move him out of the club.

Interesting to note, Loiero is now playing in the middle so as to limit the defensive laps. It seemed to work against us with an entirely new left side at Melbourne.

I believe certain sides don't like defending when the ball is in the middle so let's hope Ivan and the team can work it out with the new line up quickly.

Iamback

Coach
Craig Bellamy noted the defensive problems last year at the Storm which is like what you are saying.

Our Panthers quite often caught Loiero out of position and went straight for Munster who inevitably sh*t himself which in turn dragged Olam in, causing an instant overlap.

Couldn't blame Munster, he's blessed, couldn't blame Loiero, he's a golden boy, so they blame Olam and ultimately move him out of the club.

Interesting to note, Loiero is now playing in the middle so as to limit the defensive laps. It seemed to work against us with an entirely new left side at Melbourne.

I believe certain sides don't like defending when the ball is in the middle so let's hope Ivan and the team can work it out with the new line up quickly.

You nailed it, That is my point about having Soni Luke who can only play middle as the spark.

If we are working a team over and they are stopping it, Throwing someone with footwork or leg speed on when Garner comes off for example.

Is what helps put teams away

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You nailed it, That is my point about having Soni Luke who can only play middle as the spark.

If we are working a team over and they are stopping it, Throwing someone with footwork or leg speed on when Garner comes off for example.

Is what helps put teams away
How did you mention to make this about the bench hooker???

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Penrith Panthers is pleased to announce that Izack Tago has signed a three-year contract extension with the club.

The 21-year-old two-time premiership winner, who was already contracted with the club for 2025, has committed to the Panthers until at least the end of the 2028 season.

“I’m extremely happy to re-sign with the club. Even though I was already signed here for a couple of years, it’s great to lock in my future at my home club for another few years,” Tago said.

“Most of the team are Panthers juniors and we’ve all got a special relationship, so for me to stay here for as long as I can is something I’m excited about.”

A St Marys junior, Tago has progressed from the Panthers junior development system to an international representative, who has played 49 NRL games for the Panthers and three Test matches for Samoa.

In addition to re-signing with the club, Tago will celebrate his 50th NRL game when the Panthers face the Eels on Friday night at BlueBet Stadium

“We’re excited to see another local junior committing his long-term future to the club, and we’re looking forward to seeing him remain in Panthers colours until at least the end of the 2028 season,” Panthers General Manager of Rugby League Shane Elford said.

“Izack’s progression is another great example of the build from within mantra of our club. He has come through our junior development system and progressed to the highest level of playing for country.

“We’re delighted that he has shown his commitment to the Panthers by re-signing with the club.”

snickers007

Juniors
Given that the media got the number of years wrong, chances are they got the dollars wrong too.

On one hand I'm glad we got the deal done nice and early in the season to avoid another "will he go to free-market" media circus. On the other hand, Tago hasn't played a good game of football in probably 9 months. I think I would have liked to see him hit his straps before we re-signed him.

MugaB

Coach
Given that the media got the number of years wrong, chances are they got the dollars wrong too.

On one hand I'm glad we got the deal done nice and early in the season to avoid another "will he go to free-market" media circus. On the other hand, Tago hasn't played a good game of football in probably 9 months. I think I would have liked to see him hit his straps before we re-signed him.
By then the roosters/dogs would have got their hooks in, all the while he sits there wondering when Penrith is going to offer him the next contract if ever

Fangs

Coach
Good news for Tago.

Crichton is at 100 NRL games or so. Tago sits at 50. If he is going to be just half the player Crichton was for Penrith we should see that happen in the next couple seasons.

Priority one stay on the field. Middle part of the season he is going to be a very important player for us.

I told the wife that Tago signed signed for $750k and how I can't understand why Crichton didn't get signed for that, she brought me back to earth by saying, maybe during Crichtons negotiations there wasn't a budget for it.

Latest posts