What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

murraymob

Coach
O
If you believe this. $750k.

Penrith will foot his $750,000 salary for next season in the first of a three-year deal that was announced on Thursday morning, confident Papali’i can rekindle his 2021 Dally M second-rower-of-the-year form.

If that was true every member of the retention committee should leave.He is not remotely worth that .1 good year in 4 .To spend good money when we have little if wrong personally I beleive he gets 500k that’s his value

Kilkenny

Coach
Peaches had a great run but this year in particular time is catching up with him he is really no longer viable, even as a fill in.

PantherBrendo

Juniors
Hopefully the May case is sorted out quick. I don't think we are getting the full story. I know that it is not ok to harm a woman; but we don't know the situation he was in and if he was acting in self defense or not. It is not just men that are guilty of domestic violence and women that are victims. At the end of the day you never know what happens behind closed doors.

maple_69

Bench
Has anyone seen Matty Nicholson play for Warrington/Wigan/the Poms? Keen to come down under next year and sounds a very promising 20 year old edge forward. Wouldn’t mind a swing for the fences at edge forward for $300K or so if he suits the club. All of our edge forwards on the books for next year can play middle comfortably so another edge would be very workable.

Original Name

Juniors
Skelton and Wilson from the dogs could be good depth signings with plenty of upside.
Wilson's too good to hang in reserves. He should search for a starting spot somewhere if he can't get one at the Dogs. He doesn't need to round out his game in reggies as depth he'd already be an very good first grader. I'd take him as depth but for his own career he'd learn more just playing first grade every week then he would through training and playing reggies.

Skelton takes an age to get up once he hits the ground nullifying all the good work he does breaking tackles.

Last edited:

Sime_11

Juniors
Blake Wilson would be a great get for any club - when that Dogs squad had tools up end of 2023 - he was the only one having a go and showed really good character - Ivan type of signing and would do a very good job

Whino

Bench

NRL 2024: Penrith Panthers to seek salary cap dispensation for Taylan May after star centre is stood down​

The Panthers are expected to seek salary cap dispensation after star centre Taylan May was stood down, with the club unable to use its free funds to bring in new recruit Isaiah Papali’i ahead of schedule.
Brent Read

Penrith are expected to seek salary cap dispensation for Taylan May as they prepare for their star centre to miss the remainder of the season under the game’s no-fault stand down rule.

It is understood the Panthers have already broached the subject with the NRL and are expected to lodge a formal application in coming days as they consider signing a replacement for May, who pleaded not guilty to domestic violence-related charges in Penrith Local Court on Tuesday.
Police allege that May punched a woman known to him in the face and leg during an argument in Sydney’s outer west in April.

May will continue to be sidelined under the no-fault stand down rule until the case has been heard – it is scheduled for a hearing in March next year.

The Panthers have used Paul Alamoti in the centres in May’s absence in recent weeks but will have a significant amount of money to spend if they are successful with their application for cap dispensation.
Under the rules governing cap dispensation for players stood down by the NRL, the money must be spent on a like-for-like replacement.

It means the Panthers won’t be able to use the money to bring in Wests Tigers forward Isaiah Papali’i ahead of schedule – the New Zealand international has already agreed to join Penrith next season.

The Panthers have some depth in the outside backs – the McLean brothers Jesse and Casey were named in their 22-man squad this week and the club has high hopes for the pair, who were both schoolboy stars.
However, it is understood they have already been contacted about their interest in signing a number of outside backs in the event that they are granted dispensation by the NRL.

NRL 2024: Penrith Panthers to seek salary cap dispensation for Taylan May after star centre is stood down​

The Panthers are expected to seek salary cap dispensation after star centre Taylan May was stood down, with the club unable to use its free funds to bring in new recruit Isaiah Papali’i ahead of schedule.
Brent Read

Penrith are expected to seek salary cap dispensation for Taylan May as they prepare for their star centre to miss the remainder of the season under the game’s no-fault stand down rule.

It is understood the Panthers have already broached the subject with the NRL and are expected to lodge a formal application in coming days as they consider signing a replacement for May, who pleaded not guilty to domestic violence-related charges in Penrith Local Court on Tuesday.
Police allege that May punched a woman known to him in the face and leg during an argument in Sydney’s outer west in April.

May will continue to be sidelined under the no-fault stand down rule until the case has been heard – it is scheduled for a hearing in March next year.

The Panthers have used Paul Alamoti in the centres in May’s absence in recent weeks but will have a significant amount of money to spend if they are successful with their application for cap dispensation.
Under the rules governing cap dispensation for players stood down by the NRL, the money must be spent on a like-for-like replacement.

It means the Panthers won’t be able to use the money to bring in Wests Tigers forward Isaiah Papali’i ahead of schedule – the New Zealand international has already agreed to join Penrith next season.

The Panthers have some depth in the outside backs – the McLean brothers Jesse and Casey were named in their 22-man squad this week and the club has high hopes for the pair, who were both schoolboy stars.
However, it is understood they have already been contacted about their interest in signing a number of outside backs in the event that they are granted dispensation by the NRL.

Interesting they confirmed "we will replace"

MugaB

Coach
BRADMAN BEST! BRADMAN BEST! BRADMAN BEST! we should ask best if he wants to finish the season with us

Hooked

Juniors

Brent Read

SMH guesstimates around $100-150k of May's value this year.
Whatever we haven't spent of the salary cap could be added to that.
Not sure who we could realistically get.

Kilkenny

Coach
SMH guesstimates around $100-150k of May's value this year.
Whatever we haven't spent of the salary cap could be added to that.
Not sure who we could realistically get.
I’m sure we’ll find out in the next couple of weeks.

Most likely no one has even thought about, it’s not a huge amount of money just be someone as a back up.

Im sure there are plentiful player managers out there getting in contact with our club putting forward there case.

I’m sure we’ll find out in the next couple of weeks.

Most likely no one has even thought about, it’s not a huge amount of money just be someone as a back up.

Im sure there are plentiful player managers out there getting in contact with our club putting forward there case.
We played more than half a season by the time NRL gets its act together.

For a full year it would be about $350k