What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think the way he has played this season and the attitude he has displayed shows that there are no hard feelings between the club and Api.

He obviously wants the most money on the longest contract he can get for his last NRL contract, and the Panther simply can’t prudently match what the weak and desperate clubs are willing to offer.

Well said Crashtest. I totally agree.

Whether we like it or not, Penrith has salary cap issues. This is linked to the fact our team has been winning and winning well for the past 3 seasons.

Almost unknwn journey men are comming in and suddently playing their best footy. Penrith sadly are unable to match what desperate clubs are willing to pay.

Good on Api for setting himself and his family up as he moves past the peak of his career.

I can't begrudge a player going out for the biggest pay packet he can secure.

Look at Capewell barely making the Cronulla team, comes here and then boom looks wonderful in a good system. Like Api got the best pay packet of his career.

The Storm have been dealing with this for years. They have written the 'blue print' on coping with this well.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Well said Crashtest. I totally agree.

Whether we like it or not, Penrith has salary cap issues. This is linked to the fact our team has been winning and winning well for the past 3 seasons.

Almost unknwn journey men are comming in and suddently playing their best footy. Penrith sadly are unable to match what desperate clubs are willing to pay.

Good on Api for setting himself and his family up as he moves past the peak of his career.

I can't begrudge a player going out for the biggest pay packet he can secure.

Look at Capewell barely making the Cronulla team, comes here and then boom looks wonderful in a good system. Like Api got the best pay packet of his career.

The Storm have been dealing with this for years. They have written the 'blue print' on coping with this well.
Api is in his prime and showing no signs of slowing down though.

The Storm blueprint would be moving on Critta and keeping the best 9 in the sport

Kilkenny

Coach
Is Connor Mason out injured?
I had dinner at the Peachtree last Saturday afternoon/evening Thomas Jenkins and Eddie Blacker were there having a punt, I think it was Conner who may have been with them, if he is still sporting the little moe. I don’t think they were backing too many winners, the body language didn’t look great.

Original Name

Juniors
Api's money at the Tigers is guaranteed for atleast two years. I can't figure out what a mutual option is (a mutual option isn't an option) but I imagine it's really in his favour for the third year.

The guaranteed money is important, if he wants to apply for any form of financing he needs to show he'll receive the money.

Go to a bank and say you're a good chance of three discretionary payments a year on your loan application and see what they say.
Most of the time a mutual option ends up being a club option under a better sounding name.

maple_69

Bench
We handed out good contracts to Leota & Critta prior to Api signing with the Tigers. We absolutely could have coughed up more and backed kids to take those roles. Critta & Leota are great players and I'm glad we have them, but I'd be happier going into next season with Jenkins, Smith & Api rather than Critta, Leota & Luke.

BxTom

Bench
We handed out good contracts to Leota & Critta prior to Api signing with the Tigers. We absolutely could have coughed up more and backed kids to take those roles. Critta & Leota are great players and I'm glad we have them, but I'd be happier going into next season with Jenkins, Smith & Api rather than Critta, Leota & Luke.
It wasn't money - it was length of contract

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Proof? Not being able to fit everyone in the cap is normal not a sign of a problem since that's what the cap is there for.

You want examples ?
str
Kiks would be an obvious one: Penrith not able to match the figure that Bulldogs were prepared to spend.

I'm unsure about Api whether it was length of time, or monies. Cleary said earlier in the year. W/T contract offered much higher than what Penrith were prepared to offer.

These both must come down to salary cap restraints.

Abacus

Juniors
You want examples ?
str
Kiks would be an obvious one: Penrith not able to match the figure that Bulldogs were prepared to spend.

I'm unsure about Api whether it was length of time, or monies. Cleary said earlier in the year. W/T contract offered much higher than what Penrith were prepared to offer.

Or desperate clubs...

WestyLife

First Grade
You want examples ?
str

Or desperate clubs...

What Abacus said. Tigers and Dogs are spending big to dig themselves out of their endless hole of misery and regret.

Munky

Coach
Kikau makes less metres per game on average than David Fifita.

I was surprised to see that since I was expecting similar from each.

Unless Kiks starts doing the hard stuff in the middle as a senior forward he ain't worth the contract he is getting. Averillo and JAC won't be doing what our back three do.

Original Name

Juniors
Api has spend his almost every year of his career with part of the season out injured bar the season he split his minutes with Fainu. We offered him a 2 year contract and that 3rd year the Tigers offered him is where I'd think the club estimates his body will really start breaking down from how tough he plays.

Last edited:

Latest posts