What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Blues Riff

Bench
I speak for most dogs fans that we do not like this signing at all. We have a few great young junior prospects (finally) all in at FB, about 3 options or so that really could make it easily in the big time but now we have screwed that up by overpaying a guy who works well in the Penrith System and struggles outside of the system. I really wanted the poach to be Spencer and yous kept crichton but of course the smarter club made the better choice.
Have the Dogs signed him? I missed the announcement.

Sime_11

Juniors
strange that he hasnt signed with the Dogs yet - i would have expected an announcement last night after Penrith's lunchtime announcement that he's leaving in 2023.

maybe Wayne has come in with a million dollar offer and Ayoub is playing games with Canterbury to match it.

Iamback

Coach
I speak for most dogs fans that we do not like this signing at all. We have a few great young junior prospects (finally) all in at FB, about 3 options or so that really could make it easily in the big time but now we have screwed that up by overpaying a guy who works well in the Penrith System and struggles outside of the system. I really wanted the poach to be Spencer and yous kept crichton but of course the smarter club made the better choice.

That is the impression I get from the Dogs fans I know at work, They'd rather stick with Averillo for the short term

Goonji

Juniors
Latrell left the Roosters as a centre to play fullback at Souths. I rate Dylan Edwards as the better fullback but Latrell a better centre than Crichton. There is a lesson here for Crichton I feel. Just because you want it doesn't mean you deserve it. But anyway, good luck to him.

Iamback

Coach
Why would we release him? You would weaken centre, and if Edwards goes down we have no experienced FB cover. Two positions possibly covered by rookies in that scenario.

No early release. He is our best option this year is to play right centre. The options below him aren't ready this season to play 20+ games.
Whoever is his successor. Give them game time this year to make them ready for next season. Let them build up important combinations with a full pre-season.

Until then, he is a proven matchwinner. He stays and performs.

Nailed it, The good thing is we have atleast 5 options that would do a decent enough job at centre. Gives us the season to see who fits in. Maybe now Cole plays centre in NSW Cup to get a look at him. Though personally Jenkins/Turuva would be my centre pairing down there

hindy111

Post Whore

I think you leave yourself vulnerable for young players to be poached with what Gould's doing.

soc123_au

Staff member
You guys were never getting Spencer, if we lose him it will be to the Storm. Martina has a massive wide on for him.

Munky

Coach
Again good luck to him at the Dogs.

I am happy for him and at the same time happy to see the end of him.

Crichton is not a fullback, not Edwards quality anyway, never will be.

Good luck to him. Hope it works out for him but I see a bit of Bryce in Stephen Crichton.

This could end badly , same as Bryce going to the the Titans.

Just a gut feeling. Makes no difference to us really, either way,

Personally, if we can off load him early with significant salary cap advantage I would get rid of him. His early departure would have no impact on our ability to compete for a third premiership in my opinion.

A bit harsh to compare him to Bryce.

Critter's extremely clutch defensive plays in the 2021 finals series are why we are back to back premiers. The intercepts v Parra and Rabbits plus holding Olam up v the Dtorm.

Bryce would have just watched the moment the ball goes past him. When Teddy was a Tiger IIRC Bryce just let him run straight through twice in the same game.

That said Critter was bad at fullback and it will be more of a Val Holmes situation with him moving back to the centres when a real fullback steps up for the Dogs.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If I was a panthers fan I would laugh at the Dogs paying Crichton and Burton more money to play 1 & 6 then the guys we’re currently playing 1 & 6

chrisD

Coach
If it were me I put him the wing and give him free reign to float and get involved as often as possible, tell him to ruck it out as often and hard as May/To'o, let him roam and get him running inside lines off his wing, give him a chance to contest kicks and go for intercepts as often as he likes and maybe he gets you a return on your money.

He's not much of a fullback, but you don't have to be to look good there in a decent side against rabble and make the world think otherwise, so it may work out for him anyway.

BxTom

Bench
If it were me I put him the wing and give him free reign to float and get involved as often as possible, tell him to ruck it out as often and hard as May/To'o, let him roam and get him running inside lines off his wing, give him a chance to contest kicks and go for intercepts as often as he likes and maybe he gets you a return on your money.

He's not much of a fullback, but you don't have to be to look good there in a decent side against rabble and make the world think otherwise, so it may work out for him anyway.
Largely agree with this. He rarely passes to his wing (he only really started in the last half dozen games or so) and his defense is a bit hot and cold. He is capable of some good defense, but quite often runs out of the line to grasp thin air, leaving an overlaps for his winger to try and deal with. Good player, but not elite as origin showed. Might make a good fullback, but it will take a season or so to get there...

GongPanther

Referee
Be a couple of years before we get our own women's side in the main comp as we have to wait for the possibility of Panthers Stadium to be built which will allow for separate dressing rooms.