What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Luai is too pivotal for Nathan’s performance, no way I’d trade him away. He takes pressure off Cleary in playmaking. But I’d happily lose Crichton for a star hooker.

I agree Luai is yee to Cleary's yang.

I have a sneaky feeling that Kenny and Luke might suprise next year. I liked the look of some of Kenny's work last weekend at hooker.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
After tax it’s 100k

That‘s not a huge amount if you want to win more.

True. That's why players like May, Tago, Yeo, and others re signed recently for lesser money. The prospect of playing in a very good team. Huge attraction. Also the reason why Penrith aren't struggling to find and get 'plodders' like Esio, SS as fillers either.

Iamback

Coach
Manu has been playing some time in other positions. He has 12 try assists from time at 5/8.

700k would be the absolute max id pay Crichton, anymore is extremely dangerous.

I agree on the figure.

No doubt he has work to do but for a top 5 player in any position. Especially at 22 you will have to pay slightly overs for

maple_69

Bench
I don’t know how hard it all is to understand. We have 7 current Origin reps, 2 Kiwis (3 if you include Sorenson) and Kikau who would walk into any side he was eligible for. We are inching closer to being one of the all time greatest sides.

Of course we’re struggling with the cap. For every $1.2M you don’t pay Api/Kikau, you need to pay a May $350K which is probably unders for a guy who is 2nd in tries and up there in metres, but it’s $150K more than you would have had pencilled in 4 months ago.

Unders for a top 1-3 hooker, halfback, five eighth, fullback, prop, lock, winger, centre, second rower is still a lot to fit under a cap.

WestyLife

First Grade
I don’t know how hard it all is to understand. We have 7 current Origin reps, 2 Kiwis (3 if you include Sorenson) and Kikau who would walk into any side he was eligible for. We are inching closer to being one of the all time greatest sides.

Of course we’re struggling with the cap. For every $1.2M you don’t pay Api/Kikau, you need to pay a May $350K which is probably unders for a guy who is 2nd in tries and up there in metres, but it’s $150K more than you would have had pencilled in 4 months ago.

Unders for a top 1-3 hooker, halfback, five eighth, fullback, prop, lock, winger, centre, second rower is still a lot to fit under a cap.

Tell that to the Broncos? Roosters and Storm.

Iamback

Coach
I really dont get how Fletcher was quoted he was confident on keeping Kikau and Api, we then lose them both but still have a salary cap issue I just dont get it honestly

We have a salary cap issue trying to re-sign rep players. We don't have the cap all full right now

Smug Panther

First Grade

We offered Api and Kikau contracts though. The whole point is where has that million plus dollars gone.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Briliantly said. Who knew the kids with the curly hair, and the other with the rats tail would take to first grade like ducks to water.

Leaving Staines basically out in the cold. (I see him being let go for 23). No wonder we could get anywhere near what Api and Kiks were offered.

Both Api and Kiks have the opportunity to set themselves and their families up for life. Who could begruge that ?

Iamback

Coach
It’s a fair question, I’m a little puzzled by it as well.

Cleary got a bit of an upgrade, JFH signed a long deal. But it’s hard to know without seeing the contract details.

I’m most concerned about hooker in 2023, I just don’t think Kenny is a full time NRL player. And Kikau has been huge for us this year. I still think we’ll be top 4 in 2023, but we’re taking a hit.

What do we guess we have used/Plan to use on upgrades?

$2.5m?

Say Api and Kiks stays. I don't think we keep Tago/May.

I can't see us being on the cap for this season either. So that gives us more to play with

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Tell that to the Broncos? Roosters and Storm.

TBH I don't care about those teams.

Anyone who thought that Api and Kiks would be a cheap easy keep haven't been paying attention.

Both have signed for their highest wages in their careers.

Penrith I understand were 100,000+ below in their offer. (basically blew us out of the water). Both clubs desperate to shift their position on the ladder. Threw the kitchen sink at them.

I understand both players struggled with the thought of leaving. Seeing Kiks milestone game showed that loud and clear.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Briliantly said. Who knew the kids with the curly hair, and the other with the rats tail would take to first grade like ducks to water.

Leaving Staines basically out in the cold. (I see him being let go for 23). No wonder we could get anywhere near what Api and Kiks were offered.

Both Api and Kiks have the opportunity to set themselves and their families up for life. Who could begruge that ?
We begrudge the club re Api not the man himself.
Kikau is fantastic and in career form but you'll find posts from me 2 years ago saying we should let him go for cap reasons. Critter also falls into the same category

Smug Panther

First Grade
Elastic (the salary cap) only stretches so far.

Push it out too far and it will bite ya.

Much prefer to keep Tago and May who haven't peaked. Rather than Kiks or Api who are currently at their peak, and then begin the slow descent.
Hookers touch the ball more than anyone. Wingers and centres are a dime a dozen but elite 9s are very rare

On the flipside his non existent kicking game from anywhere outside 30m piles the pressure on Nathan

That’s true, it’s a definite weak spot. But outside of kicking he compliments Cleary well.

There was a game we played at Kogarah where Luai put in an excellent long kick, it might be the case he just needs to work at it more.

Girds89

Bench
Cleary did. But pretty easy to accept $1.1m instead of $1.3 or whatever.

Luai did under Gus... But is now on market value. As are Tago and May. If anything they're earning more than they should be as without our roster and system around them I think most would be average.

For a side who has most of its talent stacked in our top 13 (and 2 benchies). There's no way a quarter of them accepted unders to stay and we are still in the position where 2 are leaving and we need others to leave to keep them

We undervalued Api and overvalued Luai and Crichton IMO. I would trade Luai and Crichton to keep Api and Kikau in a heartbeat
I get where your coming from.

But i dont really think we overvalued luai.. hes behind really only munster and is probs level with cody walker in terms of 5/8ths.

Munster will sign for over a mil.. walker is on way more than what reportedly luai got.

Given the rumors of what luai resigned for it certainly wasnt overs and he clearly stayed for less.

Yes we certainly have probs undervalued the worth of kiks and api. They were both must keeps imo.

Thered be others id cull before luai to have kept them.

Critta yeah id let him go. Martin could go. Leota could go. Spencer as well.

Letting those four go surely we could have kept them.

And we have options to cover them all.

Eiso swap for leota to save coin.
L smith for spencer
Jenkins or taylan or turuva at centre for critta
And for martin garner could fill his role with the rookies coming through.

Letting those guys go is way less of a change to the structure than letting luai go.

Keeping luai also would keep luai, kiks, tago combo together..

Luai seems to be the whipping boy for people sometimes. Not saying you i just mean in general..

He is capable of epic performances. Just been a touch inconsistent last 12 months but is still a very important cog in the wheel and more so than the 4 i memtioned who i all love.

Latest posts