What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
Stephen Chrichton is a very good player, perhaps he was shown up a little in this years SOO series but he has a lot of improvement in him . Personally, I don’t see either Turuva or Jenkins achieving the same levels of performance as centres as Chrichton does so while they may be cheaper options they are not going to be any where near as good.

Kilkenny

Coach
In all this conversation around who needs to be let go I can’t help but wonder whether perhaps we are looking in the wrong positions.

I love Moses Leota but at the end of the day he has never quite developed into the big minutes 150-200 running metres forward the best middles deliver. If we are that strapped for cap space maybe we need to look at off loading the likes of Moses. Maybe a Lindsay Smith can deliver the same outcomes and free up space to retain Stephen Crichton who I think we really do need to keep.

I love Moses as a clubman, player but I think overall if we are that strapped for salary cap space we’ll just perhaps we can better able replace him than we can Stephen Crichton.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
In all this conversation around who needs to be let go I can’t help but wonder whether perhaps we are looking in the wrong positions.

I love Moses Leota but at the end of the day he has never quite developed into the big minutes 150-200 running metres forward the best middles deliver. If we are that strapped for cap space maybe we need to look at off loading the likes of Moses. Maybe a Lindsay Smith can deliver the same outcomes and free up space to retain Stephen Crichton who I think we really do need to keep.

I love Moses as a clubman, player but I think overall if we are that strapped for salary cap space we’ll just perhaps we can better able replace him than we can Stephen Crichton.

I rate Leota big time. He's comming into his peak time. He is continuing to improve each year he plays.

He averages close to 100 meters per game. Worst game was 84 meters. Best 172 meters.

I disagree.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Sure but Staines will free up 200k...

I don't think we are in as much salary cap trouble as the article makes it seem.

This is a case of Manager whinging to media. To try to get a better deal.

It would be a case of player wants x amount. Club says we can't afford that so manager goes to the press.

Now we have the money but want to use it better.

Iamback

Coach
Stephen Chrichton is a very good player, perhaps he was shown up a little in this years SOO series but he has a lot of improvement in him . Personally, I don’t see either Turuva or Jenkins achieving the same levels of performance as centres as Chrichton does so while they may be cheaper options they are not going to be any where near as good.

His age too.

I think he was picked to early and to be fair. He doesn't make the 1st choice 17 in Origin yet anyway

Iamback

Coach
I get where your coming from.

But i dont really think we overvalued luai.. hes behind really only munster and is probs level with cody walker in terms of 5/8ths.

Munster will sign for over a mil.. walker is on way more than what reportedly luai got.

Given the rumors of what luai resigned for it certainly wasnt overs and he clearly stayed for less.

Yes we certainly have probs undervalued the worth of kiks and api. They were both must keeps imo.

Thered be others id cull before luai to have kept them.

Critta yeah id let him go. Martin could go. Leota could go. Spencer as well.

Letting those four go surely we could have kept them.

And we have options to cover them all.

Eiso swap for leota to save coin.
L smith for spencer
Jenkins or taylan or turuva at centre for critta
And for martin garner could fill his role with the rookies coming through.

Letting those guys go is way less of a change to the structure than letting luai go.

Keeping luai also would keep luai, kiks, tago combo together..

Luai seems to be the whipping boy for people sometimes. Not saying you i just mean in general..

He is capable of epic performances. Just been a touch inconsistent last 12 months but is still a very important cog in the wheel and more so than the 4 i memtioned who i all love.

Alot of our players really are under valued across the fan base.

Luai, Critter have amazing numbers...

Those saying Api is no great loss. Again don't realise how good he is.

Leota is another you could let go to of kept Api.

Now Api has gone though. We need to evolve and players that can play in multiple positions or a x factors should be the aim.

That for me is why I see Spencer and Martin as ones to get rid of.

Kilkenny

Coach
His age too.

I think he was picked to early and to be fair. He doesn't make the 1st choice 17 in Origin yet anyway
Forget his origin situation, he is a very, very good club player. Talk around his defensive issues in origin, that’s fine I guess, but he is very good defensively at club level. He is a must keep, the alternatives are no where near his level nor will they ever be. Turuva is a fullback, and Jenkins for me is a work in progress.

Iamback

Coach
Forget his origin situation, he is a very, very good club player. Talk around his defensive issues in origin, that’s fine I guess, but he is very good defensively at club level. He is a must keep, the alternatives are no where near his level nor will they ever be. Turuva is a fullback, and Jenkins for me is a work in progress.

This year was supposedly a quiet year for him.

He has 144m a game. His best output and 2nd for all centres, He has only played centre this year so is a true reflection.

85% Tackle rate is decent enough. The problem is his misses look very poor when

Again he sits 3rd in tries scored for centres
5 try assists is up there too. Whilist playing on our poorer right side.

Throw in the Goalkicking, Playing left and right side, fullback and wings and being so young. Certainly worth a decent contract this next one

Kilkenny

Coach
I rate Leota big time. He's comming into his peak time. He is continuing to improve each year he plays.

He averages close to 100 meters per game. Worst game was 84 meters. Best 172 meters.

I disagree.
I rate him too, but it is about risk and reward.

Do we have another middle, offering 40 minutes to churn out 100 metres, for less money, which frees up space to retain others with more upside.

I don’t want to see Moses leave, but given our woes, which I struggle to understand anyway it is about priorities.

I struggle with our supposed salary cap issues, we have a very strong starting 13, but have a bench of players who are paid not to much.

Iamback

Coach
I rate him too, but it is about risk and reward.

Do we have another middle, offering 40 minutes to churn out 100 metres, for less money, which frees up space to retain others with more upside.

I don’t want to see Moses leave, but given our woes, which I struggle to understand anyway it is about priorities.

I struggle with our supposed salary cap issues, we have a very strong starting 13, but have a bench of players who are paid not to much.

The cap not being set makes it hard too

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m not sure why we are having this never ending conversation around player retention.

Yes we are fortunate to have representative players but I struggle to understand the pain we are going through given what I see at other clubs.

The Broncos tonight towelled up the Eels and when I look at the side they put up how can they do it and we cant. Haas, Reynolds, Carrigan, Oates, Staggs, Flegler (who is reportedly on $700k) and all the young guns. Bring back Reece Walsh for next season on goodness knows what sort of money.

I am at a loss. Reports in the media suggesting the Bulldogs have the money to bring in our own Crichton, upgrading Burton, bringing in Mahoney and Kikau but all good. I am obviously missing something.

Iamback

Coach
I’m not sure why we are having this never ending conversation around player retention.

Yes we are fortunate to have representative players but I struggle to understand the pain we are going through given what I see at other clubs.

The Broncos tonight towelled up the Eels and when I look at the side they put up how can they do it and we cant. Haas, Reynolds, Carrigan, Oates, Staggs, Flegler (who is reportedly on $700k) and all the young guns. Bring back Reece Walsh for next season on goodness knows what sort of money.

I am at a loss. Reports in the media suggesting the Bulldogs have the money to bring in our own Crichton, upgrading Burton, bringing in Mahoney and Kikau but all good. I am obviously missing something.
I don't think they keep Oates next year and Hass wants out after this season too

They have a few guys on expiring deals who likely don't get re-signed.

Dogs haven't registered Mahoney or Kikau yet. No chance they can get Crichton

StanTheMan

Juniors
We have a team stacked with representative players, have been competition leaders for 3 straight seasons, and are currently on track for what could be one of the greatest seasons in nrl history. We are miles ahead of the competition, and everyone wants a piece of us. It's only natural for the salary cap to bite us harder than everyone else. Clubs like the Broncos and cowboys will feel it in due time, if they continue their current trajectory.

WestyLife

First Grade
Told Liam Martin is very happy and isn't going anywhere.

Just sorting $ as every player/manager does in contract negotiation.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the attitude across the roster. No many clubs they can go to and have almost assured success and looking like twice the player due to a good overall roster.

Iamback

Coach
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the attitude across the roster. No many clubs they can go to and have almost assured success and looking like twice the player due to a good overall roster.

Kiks and Api are different.

Those who are juniors have mates here. Very hard to leave if you are a starter here

That’s always the balance, finding the best value. If a cheaper centre allows us to have a better hooker then it’s possibly worth it. Big money for non spine players is a big risk.

ThePain

Juniors
There is an article, from Phil Gould, on Facebook, which states that their fans should expect some exciting news. Hopefully, it is not Cam's signing.