What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Blade23

Juniors
I know it was for Samoa but still another game with very few runs, Until there is none of those games bench is the spot while he grows.

It is too be expected, World Cup makes doing a deal early hard for the club

MC is on holidays too.
Martin’s management have indicated they can do a deal while he is in England.
The others will have to wait.

Iamback

Coach
MC is on holidays too.
Martin’s management have indicated they can do a deal while he is in England.
The others will have to wait.

Lets be honest here, Managers talk so it isn't like a ball park figure isn't known

It will be building on from the rough figures

Smug Panther

First Grade
I for one am happy to see Peachy back at Penrith. He offers a lot more in attack than Salmon. I can understand to a point why some on this forum don't want him back BUT he has a lot of upside at what we are lead to believe is a very cheap contract. He did not look happy at the Tiggers but he was not alone there. Remember when he was at the Titans his heart was still at Penrith. He may not play a lot of FG but I think IC can get the best out of him.
Peak Peach had nice highlights, mostly in broken play. His defence and "meat and potatoes " football has always been below NRL level

soc123_au

Staff member
Tyrone Peachey will return to the Panthers while the Tigers have finally landed Charlie Staines after a multi-year pursuit.
A Peachey/Staines swap between the two clubs has finally been finalised and is expected to be announced as soon as this week.

The Panthers have also been given an indication that premiership winning prop Spencer Leinu will see out the final year of his deal despite the Tigers also circling.
Peachey and Staines will link with their respective clubs for just one season with Staines set to battle Daine Laurie for the starting fullback spot.

The Tigers have long been interested in the 21-year-old flyer. Staines dropped down the pecking order at the Panthers and only returned to play in the grand final after an injury to Taylan May.

The Panthers first gave Staines permission to test the market in 2020 but he has been unable to find a suitable club given his near $500,000 price tag. Conversations between the two clubs started last month but slowed down to enable Penrith to focus on back to back titles.

Peachey returns to the Panthers have a four year absence. So desperate was he to play for Penrith – Peachey asked the NRL to approve a pay-cut.

Under NRL rules players are not able to switch clubs for less money on the salary cap for the length of their deal.

Both players had just 12 months remaining on their contract.

The Tigers view Laurie as a potential halves option too.
Meanwhile, the Panthers have told Christian Chrichton his contracted will not be extended. Crichton – whose brother Stephen is re-negotiating his own deal - played one game this year.
Not to be an arse, but when you post news please make sure you link the source. It's actually a forum rule so their is no confusion about what it true or just speculation. I haven't deleted it as @jane the pain has sourced it for you a bit further down the page. Thank Jane :)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Peak Peach had nice highlights, mostly in broken play. His defence and "meat and potatoes " football has always been below NRL level

In light of Peach being signed. Does this mean that Salmon will move on now. Or is that a different situation.

Or will it come down to see how the pre-season goes for both players.

soc123_au

Staff member
I can't see him getting a run unless he fixes the defense. Ivan isn't going to throw a weak link out there that can f**k the whole system. He must be confident he can do it to cop a pay cut on guaranteed money, so thats a positive I guess.

Das Hassler

Bench

Agreed...this swap seems curious from the panthers side of it. Swapping a 22 year old with speed and who knows whatever potential for a sometimes hot but now mostly cold 31 year old...perhaps just cap relief as I doubt Peachey is on too much at WT. Apart from that I'm glad to see the two clubs continue to have a much better relationship.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Agreed...this swap seems curious from the panthers side of it. Swapping a 22 year old with speed and who knows whatever potential for a sometimes hot but now mostly cold 31 year old...perhaps just cap relief as I doubt Peachey is on too much at WT. Apart from that I'm glad to see the two clubs continue to have a much better relationship.

I think (this is from NRL media) that Staines was due big money increase in 23. Peach (also from NRL media) approached NRL board to say he wanted his pay downgraded with the Penrith deal.

How much of this is actually true.....I have no idea.

To my humble mind it seems to me a way of loosening the salary cap jeans if you know what I mean. Maybe allow a couple of players to be re-signed.

maple_69

Bench
Loved the guy and hope he does well but if it frees up a hundred or two in cap while we’re not impacted by depth (Turuva/Jenkins) then it’s a great deal. Anything we get out of Peach is cream,3 if he can fire up, he could upgrade the team via the Salmon role.

BxTom

Bench
I think (this is from NRL media) that Staines was due big money increase in 23. Peach (also from NRL media) approached NRL board to say he wanted his pay downgraded with the Penrith deal.

How much of this is actually true.....I have no idea.

To my humble mind it seems to me a way of loosening the salary cap jeans if you know what I mean. Maybe allow a couple of players to be re-signed.
IIRC, blade23 said the transaction would save 150 - 200k on the salary cap

maple_69

Bench
Where exactly is he going to get a bigger role though? He’s super average in our water tight system. Im just not sure what team you could slot him into and expect anything decent, particularly as a centre/five eighth.

Murraymob1

Juniors
Peachey is not a bad deal given even if he makes the 17 it will be off the bench playing limited minutes .His defence should not be a problem he will be fresh .We are in a great position most sides go backwards after winning grand finals .Our squad keeps finding that rough diamond hoskings garner the 2 boys from NZ we may get a gold diamond in that batch
The penrith system and culture has already reaped rewards Sorrenson. Salmon players struggling elsewhere thriving with us

Latest posts