What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

hindy111

Post Whore
On the Panthers its still a strong squad for 2023. What is the issue if 2024 was a semi rebuild year and then come back to have another crack in 2025/2026?

Yeo would be the oldest at 30. Edwards 29. JFH 29 Too 27
Nathan and Luai would be at peak.

Those 6 players are a great foundation. 2027 might be when a few of them start to go pass their peak. Almost 5yrs away.

My plan would be a big 2023, rebuild in 2024 with some kids and go at it again in 2025 onwards. That would be a great plan.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
550k or more is over for Spencer. No matter how good he gets I don't see him as a leader on and off the field.

JWH,Jnr Paulo,Yeo all examples of leaders and set examples for the other players in squad. Even if their form is down they have other areas that are worth the extra coin for experience and leadership.
450k now and $550k when starting

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Best thing we need right now is re-signings! I still question why Martin was only 1 year? Hopefully he extends longer or we definately know something ain't right.

betcats

Referee
I think we have more than enough talent to continue to be great and we have locked up plenty of great kids but I just hope management can that as nice as it would be to have five or six one club players out of the core players I mentioned earlier its probably not in the best interest of the club. Keep a few of them but if we are being realistic about sustained success we cannot afford to have Yeo,fish,edwards,leota,luai and cleary all get old together as starters, not unless they are willing to start sacrificing more money and for some of them starting positions in a couple years time. It would be lovely to give every player what they deserve but we cant do it so are going to keep developing really good first graders and losing them or are we willing to lose a one of those key players in order to keep the squad from ageing out in the key areas.

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
They never lost ANYONE they wanted to keep. Cordner & Friend retired due to injury

Cordner was under contract until end of 2023 - he retired in 2021. That's 2 and half years of savings.
Jake Friend retired with half a season as well.

Of course they're going to have cash to spend. They replaced those two with $100k minimum wage players, and front-loaded everyone else's deals.

I dare say if we had the luxury of medically retiring two rep stars on big dollars midway through contracts we wouldn't be losing anyone either. Of course if that happened we wouldn't have made 3 GFs in a row.

We're fast-tracking kids straight from Flegg and Ball, signing them to close to minimum wage deals, and by the time that deal is up they're playing for their states and countries. Of course we can't upgrade all of them!

Melbourne have shown that our model of salary cap management can produce sustained success. You pay big money for your gun players, and everyone else is replaceable and just there to plug a gap. You don't need a ready made starting prop until your existing props are going downhill or retiring. They didn't need to pay more than minimum wage for backup 1, 7 or 9 for 10 plus years while Slater, Cronk and Smith were there. We are the same.

We 100% got the timing wrong with Api and Kikau. But let's be real, the Bulldogs gambled on the salary cap being heavily increased, and got lucky. If we broke the bank for Kikau, and the salary cap didn't increase, we'd be losing a lot more than Critta and Spencer.

Sooner or later the young Panthers coming through who are getting approached by other clubs will take a look at those that have left before them and realise that it's not always greener on the other side. Very few players have improved their career prospects by leaving us.

550k or more is over for Spencer. No matter how good he gets I don't see him as a leader on and off the field.

JWH,Jnr Paulo,Yeo all examples of leaders and set examples for the other players in squad. Even if their form is down they have other areas that are worth the extra coin for experience and leadership.
JWH? Disagree with him. JWH is a suspension magnet.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Fleg just under $800k. Which is madness.

Spencer I don't know exactly but he had offers north of $550K.

Which obviously would have been way beyond what Penrith could or would offer.
Who do you think replaces Spencer in 2024 in our line up. Or too early to tell.

Blade23

Juniors
Best thing we need right now is re-signings! I still question why Martin was only 1 year? Hopefully he extends longer or we definately know something ain't right.

Because they were too far apart in what was being seeking and we offered. Having other players off contract at the time and not having a exact cap didn't help.
Both sides agreed to a short deal and to look at it later.

Girds89

Bench
Surely @Blade23 we have a bit of coin now to sign a couple gun kids.

As I side in a previous post the development of our own players is brilliant but sometimes you need to go to the market to find something special.

Couple 2nd rowers and a hooker would be where I'd be throwing coin. 16/17 to 19 age bracket. With a 2-3 year plan on them.

Yes we have got good kids coming but you need to pick up a gem every now and than.

And signing a few gun kids shouldn't cost to much so hopefully means we get a few stars locked up before we see another contract saga blow out.

I think lenui is kinda the straw that's broken the camels back. Not sure how happy the fans will be to lose to many more fun juniors.

Moat could cop api and kiks because at the Time of those loses it was assumed we'd than be able to resign critta and lenui... but that hasn't happened and all the clubs done is extend Martin 12 months.

The clubs done brilliant on the field the last few years and I completely get losing blokes is going to happen. Some good news soon would definitely be nice. It's been a while since we've had any real good news on the signings/retention front. I know we extended cole and co but a big signing (a gun junior) or extension soon of a gun would be nice

maple_69

Bench
Interesting. With the talk of Mclean likely to take the wing spot this Friday, I was thinking it could be lights for Turuva. He's been patient but the May injury was his shot. Jenkins & Cole look the better centres that could move into Critta/Tago's spots so hard to see a path to first grade.