What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Bruz

Juniors
Hooker is our main problem, Turpin is a no, Burrell is the same age, height and weight as Soni Luke, why change one for the other, if we have to buy a hooker Jake Simpkin would be my choice or we could go for Tyson Smoothy, was with us when Covid hit, went back to qld, played 4 first grade games for the storm and is now in the Broncos top 30
Panthers have asked about Simpkin recently but Sheens wont let him go

Panthers have asked about Simpkin recently but Sheens wont let him go
I would not mind giving F. Brown a chance here. Even if it's just to add to options. Injuries too plaqued his career and was Bulldogs NSW cup player of the year 2019 at dummy half.

Original Name

Juniors
Hooker is our main problem, Turpin is a no, Burrell is the same age, height and weight as Soni Luke, why change one for the other, if we have to buy a hooker Jake Simpkin would be my choice or we could go for Tyson Smoothy, was with us when Covid hit, went back to qld, played 4 first grade games for the storm and is now in the Broncos top 30
The online weight has to be lying. Just look at him He doesn't look the same size as Luke. Luke looks closer to Sam Walker's size compared to Berrell. Berrell isn't big but doesn't look like the smallest hooker going around like Luke.

Crashtest

Juniors
Has anyone seen Soni Lukes younger brother play, and is he any good? Played hoooker for Parramatta in NSW Cup on the weekend, with Foxsports summary of:

Meni Luke — younger brother of Penrith’s Soni Luke — caused some damage at hooker. Luke bagged a double with one off a 25-metre run out of dummy-half and made a team-high of 34 tackles with one miss.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'd have a look at getting Flanno Jnr from the Dogs and giving him a run at 9. Would be cheap, so pretty low risk and worst case is halves cover for Nathan during Origin. The talk has been Manly for the rest of the year at around 60k, at that price it's worth a go.

He is a solid defender and effort isn't a problem. Just lacks what it takes to run a team. At 9 with us just keep it simple, make your tackles, provide good service and be another kicking option and have a few runs off quick play the balls. With the pressure off him to run the team and a change of environment could do him the world of good. He has some talent, it's just been lost trying to make him something he isn't.

And yes, I see the irony in my last sentence, but I stand by it.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
I wonder if Ben Hunt would like to play Hooker? When Hook gets the punt, he has already said he isnt at all keen on restarting under someone else at the Dragons.. Dragons pay a bit of freight, we solve our 9 issue and he comes to a team with potential to win a premiership once again in the next few years.

snickers007

Juniors
I think converting a half is definitely the way to go. I just don't see any talent in any of the Hookers off contract at the moment.

Flanno being cheap (and on the outer) would be good. Hunt would be amazing, but his pricetag would rule him out.
Or do we go an older, journeyman type like Kurt Mann or Ben Hampton?

And I know we've been discussing it for years, but everytime I see Jake Averillo play I get more convinced that he'd be a massive stud for us. Straight swap for Critta, at half the price.
Me too. I'm not sure what's doing there with Averillo, Alamoti, Perham and next year Crichton. I feel Crichton would be a wasted buy with those NRL already centres and FB. Averillo would be great pick up.

soc123_au

Staff member
I wonder if Ben Hunt would like to play Hooker? When Hook gets the punt, he has already said he isnt at all keen on restarting under someone else at the Dragons.. Dragons pay a bit of freight, we solve our 9 issue and he comes to a team with potential to win a premiership once again in the next few years.
Hunt would be great, but more expensive than it would have been to keep Api. I could be wrong, but I also recall talk of him switching to hooker in club footy, but he sees himself as a half. Only really willing to play 9 in rep teams.

soc123_au

Staff member
And I know we've been discussing it for years, but everytime I see Jake Averillo play I get more convinced that he'd be a massive stud for us. Straight swap for Critta, at half the price.
I'd take him as well. I don't think he is as good as Critta, but still a really good player with plenty of pace. Depends on the dollars and if the Dogs have a spot for him.