What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10972

He's signed, sealed and delivered mate straight from the horse's mouth, only reason I put it in the rumours section is there's no articles to confirm it yet.

I don't think he is as good as Kane Morgan, Joe Vickery, Matt Duffie or Obediah Gaia (who I think are the best of the NYC wingers), but he is probably among the better of the mid-range wingers in the competition like Kalifi Fai Fai Loa, Kevin Naiqama, Michael Fualalo, Bill Tupou, Peter Tuiafiso and Dane Gagai - players with high workrates in attack as well as being good finishers.

I wonder if Kane Linnett is also confirmed?

Last edited by a moderator:

skeepe

Immortal
I don't think he is as good as Kane Morgan, Joe Vickery, Matt Duffie or Obediah Gaia (who I think are the best of the NYC wingers), but he is probably among the better of the mid-range wingers in the competition like Kalifi Fai Fai Loa, Kevin Naiqama, Michael Fualalo, Bill Tupou, Peter Tuiafiso and Dane Gagai - players with high workrates in attack as well as being good finishers.

I'd agree with you there. Naughton is a good player, and I believe he has what it takes to be a solid regular first grader, but I just think he's missing that extra spark that would make him a star.

Then again, he's still young so who knows?

Good signing for the Roosters. Naughton's been a bit of a revelation this year, I thought he had probably surpassed Drury Low in the 'prospect' status, although Low still has more talent he just needs to put it together consistently. Regardless, it's a shame we weren't able to keep him but we're not able to keep them all. At least we retained James Stuart. Good luck to the kid at Bondi.

Liam

Juniors

Mate, have you seen Naiqama play? Hands like feet.

D

Deleted member 10972

Yeah Naiqama drops a tonne of ball, but he makes a tonne of linebreaks. Talented, but a bit sloppy at times.

There is no article confirmation of Linnett yet, I believe.

However...

http://www.yasstribune.com.au/news/...ghton-and-britt-eye-final-series/1611447.aspx

"Winger Naughton, who this year signed a two year contract with the Sydney Roosters, scored two tries..."

"Naughton, who was dropped from the Raiders’ team before the final series last year, said he looked forward to joining the Roosters’ first grade ranks in 2010. “It’s a good opportunity for me. I’m certainly looking forward it, there’s no doubting that,” he said."

Big Pete

Referee
Former Ipswich Jet Aaron Sweeney has been released from the Broncos for next season.

This follows Burleighs decision to re-align themselves to the Gold Coast Titans after pledging their alleigance to the Broncos late last year.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10972

Now, apparently Roosters have signed:

Aiden Guerra - Central Coast NSW Cup (confirmed - 2 years)
Steve Naughton - Canberra Raiders NYC (confirmed - 2 years)
Daniel Conn - Tweed Heads QLD Cup (confirmed - 2 years)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves - Manly Sea Eagles NYC (confirmed - 3 years)

...plus:

Brad Takairangi - South Sydney Rabbitohs NYC (rumoured)
Kane Linnett - St George-Illawarra Dragons NYC (rumoured)

shear_joy9

Coach

...plus:

that's what happens when you can't develop your own.

shear_joy9

Coach
Good signing for the Roosters. Naughton's been a bit of a revelation this year, I thought he had probably surpassed Drury Low in the 'prospect' status, although Low still has more talent he just needs to put it together consistently. Regardless, it's a shame we weren't able to keep him but we're not able to keep them all. At least we retained James Stuart. Good luck to the kid at Bondi.

I'd prefer to keep naughton over low. Naughton can play anywhere in the backline and as you said has improved greatly this season.

you can understand why he left though; illegible for the toyota cup next year plus the tight competition for spots at souths logan, who knows where he would have been playing.

D

Deleted member 10972

that's what happens when you can't develop your own.

Mitchell Pearce
Tom Symonds
Anthony Cherrington
FP Nuuausala
Shaun Kenny-Dowall
Lopini Paea
Sam Perrett
Ben Jones
Mitchell Aubusson
Setaimata Sa (if he stays)

...every single one of these blokes made their debut, and played lower grades for the Roosters for at least a year before making their debut. They are all signed to long-term deals now as well. Add Sandor Earl, Martin Kennedy, Stanley Waqa and Rohan Ahern, who also played lower grades for Roosters and figured in first grade this year and possibly next year as well (assuming they remain at the club).

Iosia Soliola and Shane Shackleton both are leaving the club, but they also debuted in first grade for Roosters, after playing lower grades for us for a year or two as well. James Aubusson played 2 years of lower-grades for us, went to Melbourne for two years, then returned to Roosters.

The only big name purchases that Roosters will have in the team are Myles, Anasta, Mason and Carney. Look at Dragons and Bulldogs, it isn't as if all their players are developed by them either.

D

Deleted member 10972

2005 and 2006 he was very good, broke the line consistently and set up his outside man. Had an amazing start to 2006, then had a shocker v Broncos, 5 errors + injury. Was solid but not outstanding for the rest of 2006.

2007 he started off very poorly, was dropped for poor form, then got injured for the rest of the season.

2008 he was pretty average, only 5 tries and 4 linebreaks in an entire season at centre (missed Rd 2, 3, 4 and 18...played 2 rounds on the bench, and the rest he was centre).

And this year, he has never found his feet at all. Injured, in and out of the team, playing centre and then backrow, always good for a dropped ball.

Sad story I think. He had so much promise.

D

Deleted member 10972

John Kite > Storm (2 years)
Ty Williams re-signs with Cowboys (1 year)

source: Footy Show

ByRd

First Grade
Its a shame we are losing Kite, he is a local boy with a tonne of potential, really disappointed that we let him go.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I'd agree with you there. Naughton is a good player, and I believe he has what it takes to be a solid regular first grader, but I just think he's missing that extra spark that would make him a star.

Then again, he's still young so who knows?

as the old saying goes "You cant keep em all"

With about 4 people ahead of him in the pecking order, its no surprise to see him leave, its a shame, "Cheeseburgers" Naughton is abit of a fan favourite amongst the Raiders Army. But i agree with skeepe, he's got what it takes to be a regular FG contributor, but for mine he lacks the X-factor to break into the rep scene long term or be one of the top wingers. As said, he's only young so who knows, might kick on big time at the roosters.

Good luck to him... i know myself and many of the RA will be sad to see Cheeseburgers go
FTR, id much rather keep Drury Low then Steve Naughton... Naughton im certain will be a solid FGer. Low could be an absolute superstar, or fizzle out to nothing, i dont see him having a middle ground... worth a punt

Last edited:

...plus:

Plus the young South African bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.