What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2011/2012 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

First Grade
Jennings to Souths
If Jennings goes to souths then serious questions would need to be asked about the cap and if they are remotely under it, it's bad enough now, the only real reason they are flying under the radar is because they still can't win a comp.

BranVan3000

Coach
If Jennings goes to souths then serious questions would need to be asked about the cap and if they are remotely under it, it's bad enough now, the only real reason they are flying under the radar is because they still can't win a comp.
I'd think we'd be borderline at best, I'd imagine there would be significant subsidies from the Panthers, with some players getting a tap on the shoulder in the next six months. Most likely Roy.

No team in the competition has come under more cap scrutiny in the last two years than Souths. When Inglis signed Schubert had the forensic accountants go through the joint to make sure all was above board.

We lost Sandow and Ross last year for King and a few upgrades and we have traded Taylor and Pettybourne for Lima and Te'o for next year. It's also been widely reported that we are yet to spend the increase in next years cap. Plus we are unlikely to re-sign Crocker and Geddes. I'd say Sopuths should have some serious cap money left for next year.

Any deal involving Jennings would probably be subsidised by the Panthers as well. Especially for the remainder of this year.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Firstly if he goes anywhere, Penrith will still be paying two thirds of his salary. Noone is going to pay more than 200-300k for a player with discipline issues who can't crack the first 17 of the team in second last.

We need a centre, if we got him for say 250k a year I'd be stoked.

We do have the room. Firstly we offered Sandow about 300k a year. Reynolds is on a fraction of that. We offered DT as much as he got from any Queensland club, Te'o signed for less than what was offered to DT.

We could afford Jennings, but I wouldn't want him for how much Penrith is paying him.

BranVan3000

Coach
No team in the competition has come under more cap scrutiny in the last two years than Souths. When Inglis signed Schubert had the forensic accountants go through the joint to make sure all was above board.

We lost Sandow and Ross last year for King and a few upgrades and we have traded Taylor and Pettybourne for Lima and Te'o for next year. It's also been widely reported that we are yet to spend the increase in next years cap. Plus we are unlikely to re-sign Crocker and Geddes. I'd say Sopuths should have some serious cap money left for next year.

Any deal involving Jennings would probably be subsidised by the Panthers as well. Especially for the remainder of this year.
We also lost Luke Stuart and Wesser last year who would've been on a decent amount

I'd say we have the cap space

BranVan3000

Coach
Firstly if he goes anywhere, Penrith will still be paying two thirds of his salary. Noone is going to pay more than 200-300k for a player with discipline issues who can't crack the first 17 of the team in second last.

We need a centre, if we got him for say 250k a year I'd be stoked.

We do have the room. Firstly we offered Sandow about 300k a year. Reynolds is on a fraction of that. We offered DT as much as he got from any Queensland club, Te'o signed for less than what was offered to DT.

We could afford Jennings, but I wouldn't want him for how much Penrith is paying him.
I think Panthers would only cover it till the end of the year, not too sure about those rules though

And I think he could still command about 400k on the market. Though third parties should help there some

RWB

Bench

So none of the player managers who negotiated contracts with Souths for their clients put in clauses for the upcoming Salary cap increase? Richo must be the best CEO going around if he's managed that...

The ignorance around the increase to the cap is quite astounding. Every club doesn't have an extra 700k to spend as much as we all want to believe it...

BranVan3000

Coach
So none of the player managers who negotiated contracts with Souths for their clients put in clauses for the upcoming Salary cap increase? Richo must be the best CEO going around if he's managed that...

The ignorance around the increase to the cap is quite astounding. Every club doesn't have an extra 700k to spend as much as we all want to believe it...
I know Inglis's salary is percentage based, which is the big one. We resigned Luke last year too, so being so recently I imagine that is as well

Otherwise, I'd have my doubts. Not that many players have the pulling power to lock their salary in against an increase to the salary cap

No team in the competition has come under more cap scrutiny in the last two years than Souths..

What ? :lol:

Have you met..............................

Melbourne:

storm_main-420x0.jpg

RWB

Bench
What Club has 300k spare from their cap this season?

None......

We'd have well over that for this season, can't see us making a move for Jennings though as we've re-signed a shit load of youngsters so we couldn't afford him next year even if we could this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.