What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Are you missing the point on purpose?

Because the Knights have cheap fringies (including Rochow) and backups, they are able to spend more on established first graders. The fact they have no merkin as expensive as Jarryd Hayne also lets them spend more across the squad.

And just because we'd kill to have Buderus doesn't mean he's an elite hooker. He's obviously still up to NRL standard, but he's a shadow of the player he was.

That's why he's retiring.

so your point is alluding to the value of players, not wether or not they are "stars" (its possible to be a "star" and not be earning 600k+ eg barba last year) or "fringe first graders" (sandow and norman were playing reggies btw).

rochow is not a fringe first grader, he's well rated.

buderus IS an elite hooker, he's retiring because his body can't hold up the recovery, that's off field related, on the field he is again one of if not the best hooker running around right at this point in time

TheRam

Coach
So a few things from the Mole about us in RLW.

Eels risk cap fine.

It may be hard to believe given their roster and results in 2013, but Parramatta have massive salary cap problems. So much so that the Eels are desperate to offload at least three players, including half Chris Sandow. If they don't manage to shed at least two more players, they will be copping a hefty fine from Ian Schubert and his mates down at NRL headquarters. "The place is just a mess," one Eels insider tells me. "And there is no quick fix".

Kris crossed by Des

Word is Bulldogs centre Kris Inu has had a falling out with coach Des Hasler and is considering a return to Parramatta next season. Inu was left out of the Dogs' team that lost to the Knights last Sunday week despite being in top form.

RLW 26/9/13. PG 6,7.

Am I missing something here? Obviously this is in regards to 2014, due to if it was for 2013 we would be given a fine regardless already.

So therefore if indeed it is for 2014, weren't we after Prior and didn't Hock pull out of his agreement. So why and how could we be anywhere near the cap? But if indeed we are, as ridiculously as that would be considering some of the personnel we have had, we would need to convince Ben Smith to retire and then pay him outside of the cap. Surely we can manage something that simple to fix this problem and then not chase anyone else for f**k sake for 2014.

As for Inu, I would take him in a heart beat, even though he is slow, boy he is a top player when focused. But if we are so cap constrained it would have to be for match payments if possible or the Dogs can pay a big whack of his contract, which I can't see happening knowing the Dogs. But you never know if Des really doesn't want him there.

Daneel

Bench
rubbish, we'd kill for buderus (even at his age he is a top 3 hooker right now) mullen uate gagai boyd jeremy smith and even robbie rochow (massive potential this kid) to be in our side.

all hardly "fringe first graders" and "young backups"

Buderus is certainly up there, but top 3? Without even thinking i would name, smith, luke and farah as better. With a bit of thought i might even rate friend and segyaro above him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
so your point is alluding to the value of players, not wether or not they are "stars"

Correct. In the context of value, my use of the term 'star' denotes a player on huge money.

(its possible to be a "star" and not be earning 600k+ eg barba last year)

It is indeed, but players want what they're worth. The only way to get them for less is to develop them internally (e.g. Barba last year) and even then you're lucky to get more than a season before they demand a massive upgrade or go back to Brisbane for personal reasons.

We haven't gotten value out of Jarryd Hayne since his (deserved) upgrade at the end of 2009. Prior to that he would have been on less than $300k. But by the end of that year we would have been forced to pay market price, as with any off contract player.

or "fringe first graders" (sandow and norman were playing reggies btw).

Not when they signed their contracts they weren't.

And it works both ways. We re-signed Junior Paulo until the end of 2016. At the time he was a 19 year old backup with a handful of NRL games under his belt, meaning he would have been very cheap. How good might he be by 2016? On a contract he signed as a nuffy!

That's how your 'academy' helps you beat the salary cap.

rochow is not a fringe first grader, he's well rated.

He is, but he's on a contract that was negotiated when he had played only two NRL games. He recently extended for two years, and part of that might have been an upgrade for this year. But it just as likely didn't, meaning the Knights are getting great value out of him.

buderus IS an elite hooker, he's retiring because his body can't hold up the recovery, that's off field related, on the field he is again one of if not the best hooker running around right at this point in time

No f**king way. He's solid, and providing great leadership, but he's not a patch on guys like Smith, Luke and Farah.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Buderus is certainly up there, but top 3? Without even thinking i would name, smith, luke and farah as better. With a bit of thought i might even rate friend and segyaro above him.

for my statement i'm going by the last 2-3 games so specifically on form, he has been faultless. against us he was the difference between being close and turning it into a landslide.

if you stretch out to the whole season i would probably agree with you

Noise

Coach
Over on the nrl forum some guy called gronkathon (any relation to gronk?) is claiming that Santi is negotiating to stay at Wests Tigers and activate his get out clause in his Parra contract

lingard

Coach
Correct. In the context of value, my use of the term 'star' denotes a player on huge money.

It is indeed, but players want what they're worth. The only way to get them for less is to develop them internally (e.g. Barba last year) and even then you're lucky to get more than a season before they demand a massive upgrade or go back to Brisbane for personal reasons.

We haven't gotten value out of Jarryd Hayne since his (deserved) upgrade at the end of 2009. Prior to that he would have been on less than $300k. But by the end of that year we would have been forced to pay market price, as with any off contract player.

Not when they signed their contracts they weren't.

And it works both ways. We re-signed Junior Paulo until the end of 2016. At the time he was a 19 year old backup with a handful of NRL games under his belt, meaning he would have been very cheap. How good might he be by 2016? On a contract he signed as a nuffy!

That's how your 'academy' helps you beat the salary cap.

He is, but he's on a contract that was negotiated when he had played only two NRL games. He recently extended for two years, and part of that might have been an upgrade for this year. But it just as likely didn't, meaning the Knights are getting great value out of him.

No f**king way. He's solid, and providing great leadership, but he's not a patch on guys like Smith, Luke and Farah.

I think we've gotten great value out of Hayne. I admit that it is more difficult for a star player to stand out when he's in a shit team that's doing poorly - but I reckon we could have been done by fifty points every week if it wasn't for Jarryd Hayne's input in both attack and defence over the last four years. Not to mention his ability to inspire team-mates.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think we've gotten great value out of Hayne. I admit that it is more difficult for a star player to stand out when he's in a shit team that's doing poorly - but I reckon we could have been done by fifty points every week if it wasn't for Jarryd Hayne's input in both attack and defence over the last four years. Not to mention his ability to inspire team-mates.

I agree he provides some value when he gets on the field, but for what he'd be on he needs to play 20+ games every single year. The fact is having him on the roster limits how much we can spend on other players. Might we not be a better team if we were not so reliant on one player?

Since 2009 (inclusive) we have only won four out of 28 games without him. He is obviously a massive part of our team (and salary cap). Having him at the club means all our eggs are in one basket, or at least most of them are.

I only eat cage eggs. If chickens wanted to run around in fields then they should have won. They didn't, we did, so into the cage, chicken.

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
Over on the nrl forum some guy called gronkathon (any relation to gronk?) is claiming that Santi is negotiating to stay at Wests Tigers and activate his get out clause in his Parra contract

Que the Santi Clause joke . Thought Sharpie said there'd be no clauses on his watch ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Where else would Santi be almost a lock for a first grade spot??? Our forward depth is the worst in the NRL. I can't see him going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts