What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua_duck

Coach
So where were the Bulldogs scoring all of their points last season? Who was getting them across the line?

I watched a lot of the regular season last year and liked Hokkos work in the Dogs games I saw. Im surprised his numbers were that low but it never looked like he was not getting involved and i certainly remember him making some key clutch plays for them, especially in the semis.

His composure is what i like about the bloke and its something i think we can all agree our side currently lacks

The dogs actually didn't score a lot of points last season, they were grinding teams with their massive pack and to Hodkinson's credit he kicked a clutch field goal against manly last year to win a game, but apart from that there was very little creativity, and last time I checked we don't have the dogs pack

Spot On

Coach
Would you agree that Hodkinson alone will not get the job done? You use Kieran Foran's money as a benchmark but Foran wouldn't count for $1.4 mil under the cap, Foran has a lot higher profile and would command third party deals, we on the other hand haven't got that luxury.
Do I think Hodkinson will make us a better team compared to Tyrone Roberts? Of course but if we're aiming for a few years of coming 10th-12th no problem but I personally think we're in position where we can't just go for overpriced 'safe' options, I'd much rather take that gamble on Taylor knowing he has a much higher ceilin, if he lives up to his potential and we can then use that $500-$600k on 3 solid forwards than we have the potential to elevate the team to a lot higher than 10th-12th.
The way I see it, the underlying hope surrounding Hodkinson is that he can be a good foil for Mullen who can in turn become a dominant playmaker, well forgive me if I'm unable to pin all my hopes on Mullen

I would be shocked if anyone in here is thinking this. May free him up a little but I don't think we're going to see a brand new Mullo at nearly the age of 30 next year. He's quickly coming to the end of his career.

PhilGould

Bench
Barry Toohey seems to think our offer is around 1.65 million over 3 years. Pretty good value if that's the case.

Johns Magic

Referee
Barry Toohey seems to think our offer is around 1.65 million over 3 years. Pretty good value if that's the case.

If we get him for that I will be fine with it.

Wrong player at the right price IMO, if there is such a thing.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
The alternative solution would have been to plan ahead rather than be the last one left in musical chairs so pay through the nose for the guy everyone else had been avoiding.

Up until very recently the plan for 2016 was all aboard the Tyrone train, first stop mediocrity.

It's good they decided that was a bad idea, but sad it took so long when everyone could see he was a one trick pony years ago.

I guess it only became an option when bj did us a favour and freed up 400+k.

Spot On

Coach
So where were the Bulldogs scoring all of their points last season? Who was getting them across the line?

I watched a lot of the regular season last year and liked Hokkos work in the Dogs games I saw. Im surprised his numbers were that low but it never looked like he was not getting involved and i certainly remember him making some key clutch plays for them, especially in the semis.

His composure is what i like about the bloke and its something i think we can all agree our side currently lacks

Not being a smart arse here, but I'm surprised his stats from last season are that high. But 9 TA's from your most important playmaking position in 22 games is really, really poor.

I can see some good qualities he will bring and if he is a true organiser then it will help the number 6. However, the price needs to be near the mark not massive, massive overs.

Noname36

First Grade
Stats don't tell the full story either IMO. I mean Gidley has probably put on more tries for us than anyone this year but over the course of a year he's still a very poor player for us given how costly his brainsnaps are. Stats don't measure everything a halfback does...including the most important thing in organisation.

Swarzey

Bench
Bulldogs have had the luxury of having plenty of players throughout the side with the capabilities of putting players in the right position for tries however, I'd argue plenty of their tries in the 22 games Hodkinson played came down to his organisation. It's all the things you don't see him do that makes Hodkinson worth the punt.

aqua_duck

Coach
Stats don't tell the full story either IMO. I mean Gidley has probably put on more tries for us than anyone this year but over the course of a year he's still a very poor player for us given how costly his brainsnaps are. Stats don't measure everything a halfback does...including the most important thing in organisation.

No you're right, I would say Hodkinson is an above average organiser but down the bottom on terms of creativity, all in all when weighed out he ranks as an average to below average halfback (which I think most people would agree with a ranking between 7-9th best in the comp). As I said I'd be happy to pay him $550-$500k which is fair for a player of his calibre.

aqua_duck

Coach
Bulldogs have had the luxury of having plenty of players throughout the side with the capabilities of putting players in the right position for tries however, I'd argue plenty of their tries in the 22 games Hodkinson played came down to his organisation. It's all the things you don't see him do that makes Hodkinson worth the punt.

But that's the thing, they didn't score very many tries at all.

Noname36

First Grade
Re the Dogs not scoring many tries though, it's not hard to believe when you look at the composition of their squad. Their pack is the biggest the game has ever seen and that's what they build their team/play around. Hodkinson isn't a creative player, but the rest of their spine last year was also Reynolds, Ennis and Perrett. All are regarded as tough but not creative.

We have a heap of players that are capable of creating something out of nothing...they just have zero composure when it matters and shit the bed far too often. I don't think Hodkinson will bring us creativity but that doesn't seem to be what we need. We need someone that can organise and keep their shit together and that's something this side has been lacking for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts