What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noname36

First Grade
^ Not sure we can really keep playing the Bennett card when we don't even know how much longer he's gonna be at the club given he's signed to HSG not the Knights.

Noname36

First Grade
I'm not sure the Bennett card is that valuable these days.

I know you don't like the bloke, but what else makes you say that out of curiosity? We were one game off a GF last season so it couldn't be because players are thinking he's a shit coach.

Nuffy

Bench
I'd argue the game has changed completely with Macca's injury. It is not about money or contracts anymore.

Whilst I think that Alex's injury has genuinely affected the code and everyone's thoughts are genuine, beyond the Newcastle club and its fans I suspect that within a couple of weeks, the game in general will move on.

I'm not sure that it will have a lasting impact on peoples outlook beyond our club.

I would argue that managers will now say, "get whatever you can because it might be your last contract'.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think Showstoppers point was more along the lines of Wayne and his relationship with Alex. He may stay at the club longer to look after the kid

slotmachine

First Grade
I know you don't like the bloke, but what else makes you say that out of curiosity? We were one game off a GF last season so it couldn't be because players are thinking he's a shit coach.

I just don't think it's a huge carrot these days. Plenty of good, successful ,young coaches around.
He's not a disincentive like Stuart by any means.

Anyway, my original point was that I find it amusing when someone says "player x isn't worth $y, I'd offer him $z" and we've never had a marquee signing come to the club for less than their market value.

Noname36

First Grade
I just don't think it's a huge carrot these days. Plenty of good, successful ,young coaches around.
He's not a disincentive like Stuart by any means.

Anyway, my original point was that I find it amusing when someone says "player x isn't worth $y, I'd offer him $z" and we've never had a marquee signing come to the club for less than their market value.

Have we really ever signed a marquee player though? The only real one I would consider would be Boyd and maybe J Smith and Bennett was the one and only carrot there. Boyd wouldn't have considered coming here if it wasn't for Bennett and Smith had turned us down previously but jumped on board when Bennett did. If Bennett hadn't drawn them here Gidley would be our fullback current and someone like Edwards or Ciraldo would probably be our lock. Scary thought.

I certainly agree that if we want a marquee forward we'll have to pay top dollar for one and I've said that in a previous post. At the end of the day there's more of an emphasis on money than potential playing success these days and I guess I can understand that given the reminder we got from Macca's injury that a footballer's potential earning years from this game can be very short.

perverse

Referee
I'm no rocket scientist, but I would imagine they're expressing that they don't believe player x is worth $y, rather that they're worth $z. This really makes no statement about believing our club has the capacity to sign people for unders... and I doubt anyone who has made such a statement does believe that.

Also we'd be moronic not to put forward an offer to a player just because another club might be offering more. Who knows what motivates players to go anywhere. What would your recruitment strategy be? Only make offers that are equal to or above rival clubs, otherwise just keep our mouth shut in the market?

I don't really understand your point or your gripe. Feels like you're building up a bit of a strawman there. People are entitled to express what they think a player is worth.

I think Showstoppers point was more along the lines of Wayne and his relationship with Alex. He may stay at the club longer to look after the kid

Possibly yes. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed around in some capacity even if he decides not to coach us. He loves this kid.

Dave_

Juniors
BK has been our biggest ever signing and we paid through the nose for him.

Worth every penny.

Imagine how much better he would've been if he was on the field for us more often. He seemed to get hurt at the worst times.

Nuffy

Bench
I wonder whether Grant was our mid season signing, but bee sting head seems to have put paid to that.

otori

Juniors
Fair fax have us linked to Tariq Sims but called it unlikely cause were hunting for a prop. If were any chance, we need to hunt him. Our aging pack could use a player like Tariq

Noname36

First Grade
Fair fax have us linked to Tariq Sims but called it unlikely cause were hunting for a prop. If were any chance, we need to hunt him. Our aging pack could use a player like Tariq

I wonder if they actually have any mail or they've just added us after forwards + Korbin and guessed that we might be interested in Tariq.

I wonder if they actually have any mail or they've just added us after forwards + Korbin and guessed that we might be interested in Tariq.
The latter. Cos Tariq and Korbin are brothers they make up the excuse that of course Tariq wants to play for the Knights even though his manager says he wants to move to Sydney. We won't sign Tariq unless we pay massive overs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.