What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won't be getting 850k a year off anyone else. He's blown it as far as I can see, we'd be stupid to not put forward whatever our previous offer was for him.

Only the Dogs would drive a bloody props price tag up that high.

100% agree Pervy. IMO The Dogs inflate the market with their significant 3rd party advantages.

Yosh

Coach
So... Perfect scenario for us to step in then? Hopefully he'll have a bad year because he can't concentrate and does some stupid things to get his contract cut short. Requiring a steadying influence on his life, he turns to WB and signs for us for a quarter of his true market value. Goes onto become a beast and club legend for the next decade. Done.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Sure will. He's not worth that kind of cash, the Dogs were stupid as f**k to throw it at him to begin with. I don't get it with the Dogs, they always seem so desperate to get every single player on the market that other clubs want, they're always throwing around ridiculous numbers for players. It's like they get upset if another club outbids them or something.

My mind constantly boggles at how they get it all under the cap year after year.

I think they realized the error of their ways and did a massive backflip at the first given opportunity. A prop isn't worth that kind of cash IMHO, thats the money you spend on one of your spine not what you spend on cannon fodder.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The more I watch games this year the more I am convinced we dont need another out and out prop but rather a skillful forward who can offload. Look at how Brisbane are going with a smaller, mobile pack enhanced by Parker shifting into the front row to bring in Gillett to the starting side.

The days of big metre eaters are nearly over
Totally agree, thats the second most intelligent thing you've written. I think the game is going towards more mobile forward packs. The George Rose's ( less mobile players ) of the game are soon to be a thing of the past.

I see Fafita as nothing more than another T-Rex. He has had one outstanding season where he was unstoppable but is now having a massive fall from grace.

I said it last year, that his form wouldn't last long. Don't rate him, never have.

Noname36

First Grade
Even if we did express interest in Fifita again (which I doubt given what the club is going through at the moment and his recent behaviour) he would probably scoff at what we'd be prepared to offer him.

slotmachine

First Grade
Club sponsor pulled their third party deal after fafitas comments in the media.

Probably cost himself $500k at least.

Johns Magic

Referee
I see Fafita as nothing more than another T-Rex. He has had one outstanding season where he was unstoppable but is now having a massive fall from grace.

I said it last year, that his form wouldn't last long. Don't rate him, never have.

If he can keep his '13 form going for the next few years I will be stunned but I still reckon he is the best prop around and will be for some time...I just hope all this drama lately won't make him lose enthusiasm.

I always thought T-Rex was a dud(and Blair) but I don't put Fifita in the same boat.

I doubt any club giving him $850K a year will have him play to '13 standards for the furation of the contract but they will still have a top-gun prop.

timka4

Bench
Fafita is much better than T-Rex easily. He obviously has contract stuff going on right now which has slowed his start (plus only playing 2 of first 4 games). But he is still a great prop

perverse

Referee
To think people were baulking at Snowdens asking price a few years ago. Admittedly Snowden is no Fifita - but I wouldn't mind 2 Snowdens and a reserve grade player instead of Fifita.

Yosh

Coach
I still think Fifita is and will be the best prop in the game for a while yet. Snowden is getting really really good again which is great.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah cant agree with the T-Rex comparison. Even in a shit Sharks outfit on Sunday, Fafita was easily their most dangerous forward and took some stopping. His ball arm nearly always seemed to be free and the only thing stopping him off loading was a lack of support runners

Still the top prop in the game, not $850k worth mind

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'm amazed at the people on here saying he isn't going to be a quality prop in the future. I mean, talk about talking out of your arse.. He's young. He's got the physical attributes, ie huge frame, yet extremely quick and he can pass the ball. Are these nostrudamuses on here just talking based on intuition? Or is there actually some evidence?

For what it's worth, he is definitely not worth the 950k per season that I heard he was offered. But I'm confident based on reality, that he'll be one of the best props going around for the next 5 years or so if injuries are kind to him and if he stays in the NRL.

slotmachine

First Grade
A 3rd party sponsor can't be a sponsor of the club

yes they can, it falls under the marquee player allowance

What players can earn outside the salary cap:

$600,000 - Marquee Player Allowance - any or all of the Top 25 players at each club can share in payments made by club sponsors seeking to use a player's intellectual property. These may be guaranteed in the playing contract by clubs.

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance ? a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 25 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Spot On

Coach
I certainly don't believe Fifita's comments were what lead to the axing of the contract. It was however a great get out clause from a very silly offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts