What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Crazy idea here, but maybe the club is actually fully aware of the issues so they want to target ball playing forwards to try and fix it.

I'd say you are correct. I seem to remember a number of people on here last year stating we needed creativity in the forwards. Hopefully the penny has finally dropped with the coaching staff. We are in need of a Glenn stewert, Corey Parker type player. Cuthbo can play this type of role and mason has a good offload in him on occasions. Actually now I think about it, Snowden also has a good pass in him and Scott can also get the ball away. Jeremy smith also did some good offloads in the finals last year as did uate. I think the biggest issue is the game plan. As I said in another thread, the team doesn't involve support play and that is killing us at the moment.

Last edited:
Mateo when happy is a weapon like few others. The warriors keep wanting to lay blame at his feet. I believe he never really wanted to leave the Eels but the money was too big to knock back. The Lurker confirmed we had spoken to Mateo in his column but we were knocked back. Mateo is also a very competent 5/8 when required.

Noname36

First Grade
I'd say you are correct. I seem to remember a number of people on here last year stating we needed creativity in the forwards. Hopefully the penny has finally dropped with the coaching staff. We are in need of a Glenn stewert, Corey Parker type player. Cuthbo can play this type of role and mason has a good offload in him on occasions. Actually now I think about it, Snowden also has a good pass in him and Scott can also get the ball away. Jeremy smith also did some good offloads in the finals last year as did uate. I think the biggest issue is the game plan. As I said in another thread, the team doesn't involve support play and that is killing us at the moment.

Agreed. I don't think we're simply coached not too offload. I think it's a lack of both quality ball playing forwards (Cuthbo and more recently Scott are the only ones that can offload consistently) and a lack of support play. So many times I've actually seen one the forwards trying to get the ball away but there was nobody there in support. I think if we can sign a forward or two with genuine ball playing ability and encourage support play it would go a long way. We're not putting doubt in the opposition's mind at the moment and it's why they're able to shut us down so easily.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
We are hopeless at supporting our ball runners, absolutely hopeless. I don't know if we don't train for it - or whether the players just can't be f**ked... but to be honest I'm leaning towards the latter. I can't imagine Wayne says "don't support the guys with the ball, have a breather instead". The same goes for decoy runners for that matter. We must have the laziest looking decoys in the business.

All of it pales in comparison to the fact that our pack have been limp dicked idiots for most of the year... and that the entire team couldn't hold the ball to save themselves.

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
Offloads don't work when you aren't bending the line. If you're getting dominated, most offloads are hospital passes.

Can't go sideways until we can go forward.

Noname36

First Grade
Offloads don't work when you aren't bending the line. If you're getting dominated, most offloads are hospital passes.

Can't go sideways until we can go forward.

That too. In fact I don't know if a lack of offloads is our problem or more a lack of them in quality position (and paired with shit support play). We seem to offload a fair bit but it's always just back behind an unbroken defensive line which allows the defence to easily shut it down. We need to actually put guys through the line and I honestly don't know if any of our forwards are capable of doing that more than once every bunch of games.

Nuffy

Bench
I disagree, he is getting a fair bake in the DT today for dropping Hannant, I suspect that he will be made to have a massive rethink by his board and management, or he will be gone.

Hannant is now a long shot at best.

As predicted, Kennedy is out of favour and Hannant is back in favour.

I think he is now a massive long shot.

Spot On

Coach
Any quality player is a massive long shot for us. Whatever pipe has been smoked up there the past week between Griffin, Hannant, his manager and the rest isn't going to smooth over the fact Hook has treated him poorly. There's no comparison between his form and the dud Griffin bought from the Roosters. Hannant could lose both legs and make more metres than Kennedy, and that's being harsh on the Polar Bear.

Last edited:
Stay positive. The current clubs of the players we approached barring Moa are all standing in the way of the players moving. Hannant is keen to play under Bennett. Mateo was our main target three years ago. We were looking close but could not match the Warriors offer. McKendry is still a chance. We may have to wait till 2015 for all three though.

Noname36

First Grade
Tongan Thor is on the radar.

Who?

Edit - never mind. Just realised he's that big rugby kid.

I could see positives and negatives.

He seems or have a bit to work with. Can't really teach speed and mobility in forwards. Sounds like he wants to stay in Rugby though so with that and all the interest we'd have to pay a lot for him with the very real chance that he'd never turn into a decent league forward. He is only 18 though so there's time to develop him and he wouldn't be under the salary cap. Another plus is that he has the potential to be a crowd favourite and we rarely have one of those in the pack.

Last edited:
Taniela Tupou is goung to be the biggest thing in Union in years. League has Buckley's. Being that big he would make a mint in Japanese or French Rugby. He is a freak athlete .

knightsarmy

Juniors
honestly who will sign with us ? We have no idea if the coach will be here next year if Tinkler goes as I don't think the board will pay Bennet 1m for final year on current form

Status
Not open for further replies.