What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noname36

First Grade
Why we wouldn't lock up Crawley is beyond me.

I'm not sure it was a case of us not locking him up.

His brother said on the Roast a couple of days ago he wants to coach FG and getting an assistant role (especially at a club who's head coach is a dead man walking) would be his next logical step to achieving that. It was also reported that it was very lucrative offer, and frankly when you're using the NRL's money you can't really get into a bidding war over support staff...especially when you've been dragging your feet signing the FG coach.

He's also coached at Canberra before so with the opportunity, money and familiarity there was a lot of factors pulling him to the Raiders. There's no reason to assume we didn't want to keep him.

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
I'm not sure it was a case of us not locking him up.

His brother said on the Roast a couple of days ago he wants to coach FG and getting an assistant role (especially at a club who's head coach is a dead man walking) would be his next logical step to achieving that. It was also reported that it was very lucrative offer, and frankly when you're using the NRL's money you can't really get into a bidding war over support staff...especially when you've been dragging your feet signing the FG coach.

He's also coached at Canberra before so with the opportunity, money and familiarity there was a lot of factors pulling him to the Raiders. There's no reason to assume we didn't want to keep him.

And thats the problem.

There are already rumours who will be our lower grade coaches for next year (Taylor and Edwards) which don't feel me with excitement so we have appear to already started talks with these.

Here we have an excellent coach who could have been given higher responsibility and we should have entered into negotiations earlier

Tariq Sims is a big start as far as signings for the new coach go. It says a lot that he signed knowing Bennett was a big chance of leaving. Add the Beau Scott factor and at least we can boast one of the best back rows in the game. Tariq is in terrific form at present. If we can get that Tariq injury free I have high hopes we can make the 8 next season. Under the alleged fait accompli of Stone being coach I believe we will play a much more free flowing game. If only we can land a big bopper in the off season. I am hearing McKendry is still keen to play here.

Noname36

First Grade
And thats the problem.

There are already rumours who will be our lower grade coaches for next year (Taylor and Edwards) which don't feel me with excitement so we have appear to already started talks with these.

Here we have an excellent coach who could have been given higher responsibility and we should have entered into negotiations earlier

Rip Taylor goes alright IMO. Took us to an u20s GF, then he took Parra to back to back NSW Cup premierships. I have no idea who Edwards is so I can't comment.

Ultimately though Crawley was never going to stay for anything less than an assistant coach role when he was offered that at Canberra. The head coach is responsible for choosing the support staff too. If they're in talks with Taylor and Edwards then you'd say they've known for a while that Stone would be coach. If Stone doesn't want Crawley as assistant then that's that. The bloke isn't going to stay as a lower grades coach when he can get an assistant role at another club...especially one where the FG coach is a dead man walking. That head coach role is Crawley's in 2 years max and he knows it.

Through the bank at McKendry and Hannant we could surely afford both and hell even landing one would be big.

Have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of 1 year extensions with Mason, Faaolongo, Houston ect and 2016 we'll be aiming high though.

aqua_duck

Coach
The thing is one year extensions to older guys are absolutely pointless to us unless we're in a position to challenge next year and if we're being honest, we aren't quite in a position to mount a serious challenge. We need to use next year to rebuild, we need to be recruiting younger guys, sign 6 young props and if 2 turn out to be keepers then we're laughing. The club we need to take a leaf from is Manly, they have a no frills pack who get the job done, and a large part of their success is their lower tier recruits. Guys like Hiku, Horo, Cheyse Blair, Jack Littlejohn, Sene-Lefao, Lui, Lawrence, Starling, Hasson, and Symonds were all fringe first graders when Manly signed them and they've managed to integrate them into the team.

Our record with recruiting NYC guns isn't exactly a confidence builder lol, though your right at this stage of the year and with our drawing power probably our best bet.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Tariq Sims is a big start as far as signings for the new coach go. It says a lot that he signed knowing Bennett was a big chance of leaving. Add the Beau Scott factor and at least we can boast one of the best back rows in the game. Tariq is in terrific form at present. If we can get that Tariq injury free I have high hopes we can make the 8 next season. Under the alleged fait accompli of Stone being coach I believe we will play a much more free flowing game. If only we can land a big bopper in the off season. I am hearing McKendry is still keen to play here.

I still think something needs to happen with Rochow though. I can understand why he's selected in the run on side as he can play the 80 minutes which allows the coach to keep the other forwards fresher. However he's offered next to no impact in 2014. He hasn't been running into holes or setting up tries through assists. I'd much rather have another backrower in his place that will chew up an interchange, but at least offer the team some impact. Having Smith, Scott and either of the Simms brothers will mean that we have arguably the toughest back row in the comp. Now that is appealing!!

aqua_duck

Coach
Our record with recruiting NYC guns isn't exactly a confidence builder lol, though your right at this stage of the year and with our drawing power probably our best bet.

Look we had a few misses but I think Brian Smith showed how it can be done, he turned guys like Taia, Faas, Vuna, Sau, Naiqama, Lulia, etc into serviceable parts of an engine.

Rod

Bench
Broncos supposedly trying to clear cap space for Boyd :lol:.

If we can nab a McGuire or Hannant out of this I'd consider that a very successful trade.

Spot On

Coach
Broncos supposedly trying to clear cap space for Boyd :lol:.

If we can nab a McGuire or Hannant out of this I'd consider that a very successful trade.

Mate that club, whilst under investigation for 'cap anomolies' is recruiting like there's no problem. Hard to see them letting go of anyone unless the NRL get very f**king serious with them and their ability to "compasionately" recruit the players they keep getting.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Look we had a few misses but I think Brian Smith showed how it can be done, he turned guys like Taia, Faas, Vuna, Sau, Naiqama, Lulia, etc into serviceable parts of an engine.

These players may of had their moments but I cant think of a much more inconsistent list of players. Faz wes*taia and*sau were either hot or cold most weeks. Im much happier now with our current roster.

perverse

Referee
Taia was fantastic for us... it was only a shame that he broke his neck, he never came back the same. Still, he was one of the few that when he got the tap on the shoulder by Wayne, pulled his socks up and battled on 'til the last game he played for us.

I've got nothing but respect for Zeb, and at his best he was excellent. Totally disagree that he was inconsistent unless you want to count the first while after his neck recovery.

nietsnie

Juniors
The thing is one year extensions to older guys are absolutely pointless to us unless we're in a position to challenge next year and if we're being honest, we aren't quite in a position to mount a serious challenge. We need to use next year to rebuild, we need to be recruiting younger guys, sign 6 young props and if 2 turn out to be keepers then we're laughing. The club we need to take a leaf from is Manly, they have a no frills pack who get the job done, and a large part of their success is their lower tier recruits. Guys like Hiku, Horo, Cheyse Blair, Jack Littlejohn, Sene-Lefao, Lui, Lawrence, Starling, Hasson, and Symonds were all fringe first graders when Manly signed them and they've managed to integrate them into the team.
Your thoughts should be the way of thinking for any club in rebiulding quickly and or remaining competitive for long periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts