What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
That's a ratchet clause for you, all the highly paid players have them.
Really stings when you see it put like this though.

329182097_934515107582479_3768577847484215325_n.jpg

The Tigers also with a very red face, obviously. Having said that, i'd say there's a few more ratchet clauses in amongst that lot that haven't been taken into account here yet because they're unreported.

Jono078

Referee
The thing that stings is that hasn't been earned. We've paid him on potential for a long time now.

We see flashes of it. Debatable how much he helps the team club off the field.

I don't know if he'll ever truly earn that. At this point it's kind of like premiership or bust.

Knight Tales

Juniors
The thing that stings me the most is people believing those figures.
The coverage of KP is extensive and the columns he sells are pretty impressive. I doubt they are inaccurate figures.
The reason is his passion for the game is highly questionable at club level and also his insane gifts are simply not being used as one would expect. In my honest opinion he is the most gifted player i have ever seen. Doesn’t mean much if his heart is nowhere near the same postcode.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Ah yes, the old "I don't like what the media says so it must be wrong".

Ponga earns a shitload of money, while the knights won the same number of games with tex hoy playing fullback as him last year.
It's more the "these have been proven wrong often and have zero sourcing so I don't trust them".

I don't doubt Ponga is paid a shit ton but if you want to believe everything places like zero tackle and the DT say then all the best.

perverse

Referee
It's more the "these have been proven wrong often and have zero sourcing so I don't trust them".

I don't doubt Ponga is paid a shit ton but if you want to believe everything places like zero tackle and the DT say then all the best.
I mean, does it really matter where on that list he is? He's certainly on that list... and it's hard to point at another player (aside from Brooks) that provides less value to their team amongst his peers.

All I'm really saying is it's time for Kalyn to put up. He's 24 and about to be entering his prime years as a spine player. It's now or never really, and I hope he understands it and I hope the club is making him very aware of it. No more milkshakes or toilet playtime. It's time to play football.

I've said it many times before but I'm not sure he has it in him tbh. He doesn't have the obsession for the game that the greats always have. He won't get there, because he's not motivated enough. Hope he proves me wrong, but that's what I see in him to this point.

Old School

Juniors
I mean, does it really matter where on that list he is? He's certainly on that list... and it's hard to point at another player (aside from Brooks) that provides less value to their team amongst his peers.

All I'm really saying is it's time for Kalyn to put up. He's 24 and about to be entering his prime years as a spine player. It's now or never really, and I hope he understands it and I hope the club is making him very aware of it. No more milkshakes or toilet playtime. It's time to play football.

I've said it many times before but I'm not sure he has it in him tbh. He doesn't have the obsession for the game that the greats always have. He won't get there, because he's not motivated enough. Hope he proves me wrong, but that's what I see in him to this point.
I always hoped he would turn his gifts into something more than ``what could be``. However I totally agree with your
thoughts & what motivates him, obviously truck loads of money from Uncle Phil is already in the bank so he`s not
hungry enough. That`s what you get from a bean counter, who wouldn`t know a football from a pumpkin running recruitment decisions. Maybe instead of the ratchet clause, a performance clause could have been inserted. Like so many others these days once it gets a bit tough out there for Ponga, the attitude is pack it in for the day, it`s on again next week & I`m OK, stuff the club & supporters, I`m still getting my money, win, lose or draw. Very flaky, Ponga`s story at the club is fast turning into ``what might have been``. Not an excuse but a having soft, boring, dope of a coach doesn`t help anyone with hopes for this team.

Personally I think moving KP to 5/8 will be the best move he's done. Maybe it is just false hope, but I truly believe this move will bring out the best in him and the team.

perverse

Referee
I always hoped he would turn his gifts into something more than ``what could be``. However I totally agree with your
thoughts & what motivates him, obviously truck loads of money from Uncle Phil is already in the bank so he`s not
hungry enough. That`s what you get from a bean counter, who wouldn`t know a football from a pumpkin running recruitment decisions. Maybe instead of the ratchet clause, a performance clause could have been inserted. Like so many others these days once it gets a bit tough out there for Ponga, the attitude is pack it in for the day, it`s on again next week & I`m OK, stuff the club & supporters, I`m still getting my money, win, lose or draw. Very flaky, Ponga`s story at the club is fast turning into ``what might have been``. Not an excuse but a having soft, boring, dope of a coach doesn`t help anyone with hopes for this team.
I don't even think it's the money with Kalyn (perhaps his father moreso). I mean of course he's going to get paid what he can - anyone will do that. Ultimately I think he's just a cruisey kid, very family orientated, carefree... aloof even. It's just his nature, his disposition. If he had the obsession that other greats of the game had - he certainly has the tools to be written into history books regardless of his paycheque.

The next 12-24 months will pretty much write the story for his entire career I think. We've sat on the potential for a long time now, it's time to start getting a payout.

Jono078

Referee
One thing I’ll say to Kalyn’s defense is I was impressed with how he applied himself for us, after last years origin series. There were signs he had turned the corner. But alas the head knocks got in the way there.

If he can pick up where he left off, I think we’ll be happy.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think he cops a little bit more criticism than he should at times. Yes he deserves some criticism for sure but all the greats also played in great teams. Look at the teams that Smith, Slater, Lockyer, Johns, et al. Played in for most of their careers. KP has been given the job of carrying a borderline reserve grade side on his shoulders at times. Not saying that he couldn’t have done more but this idea that he’s a total flop most of the time isn’t accurate imo. He has single handedly won us a number of games since he got to the club, and in a better side I think he would have won us many more, but a lot of the time there are others in the side letting him down too.
I definitely think he needs to adjust his attitude and take on more responsibility but there are some systemic problems at the club that are probably the root of the problem too.

It'd be just our luck to sign probably the most gifted & talented player to ever lace a boot only to have him squander his potential and completely brick our salary cap.

I'd personally rather suffer through the spoon years than watch this rabble "lead" by Ponga. At least in those days it was understandable given the roster. Now it's all incompetence and poor attitudes.

Latest posts