What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Vision

First Grade
What a bullshit article. Doesnt quote any Knights player directly and total fabrication to make a story. In any case Ponga is a spine player and no player outside the spine could reasonably expect that kind of money. I think Gagai is a good player but if he's on 500k a year and not being a spine player he struck gold at his last contract meeting.

Glendale

Juniors
This is nothing but a smear campain.

I'm confident Mooney will keep Ponga's head in the right place and he'll be committed to this deal.

This could get much worse if Ponga stays in NQ next year... We'll have to put up with this bullshit for a whole year. Boring.

Swarzey

Bench
Ah Courier Mail and Pete Badel, please never change. You're a disgrace to journalism and your Napoleon Complex is a delight to see unfold.

Eat a dick merkins; bring on the smear campaign.

Jono078

Referee
If that article happens to be true, I want to say this to the players who are whinging..

WTF have you done for the Knights in recent years to show you deserve that money? Sweet f**k all.

Gagai is our highest paid player and he is as much a weakness to the team as he is an asset.

Anyone else having a whinge needs to do better. We don't hand out upgrades to anyone when the team is down the bottom of the ladder.

Perform and you'll all get paid - simple.

Knight76

Juniors
The articles will likely stop once the 10 day cooling off period is over. There is no point continuing it once he can't change his mind.

I doubt Ponga is going to sign with the cows. He is making a killing on his Knights contract and get to play first grade. At the cows he is looking at lengthy stints in lower grades.

Keep crying Cowboys, EAD!

rabble1

Juniors
Feel for Gagai being brought into it just cause he's a QLD'er. BUT, if he does have a problem with it I'd have no problem with him him walking away right now. Feel we can do better than him at centre maybe with someone we already have, stick him on the wing. In saying that I'd rather have Ponga here before he walked. Offer em' Pauli and Stockwell and hope someone gets squeezed out elsewhere.

Noname36

First Grade
^ I very much doubt Gagai (or anyone) actually has a problem.

They just picked him because he's a Qlder, our only origin rep and the CM are obsessed with him.

Gutter journalism. Worst publication in the country. Not the first time they're gone on a Knights smear campaign either.

Peter Badel s previous article said it was Thurston type money. Thurston will probably be on $1.5m under the proposed 2018 cap. and $700k won't be that much for an above average spine player.

The other thing about the article is if Gagai tested the market he would be extremely lucky to get more than $500k whilst the Cows we're prepared to pay Ponga $500k and I'm sure he could've found other clubs willing to go to at least $600k so it's not that much above what the market would be willing to pay for him.

Spot On

Coach
None of our players have any right to be pissed off about this deal, especially gagai who has been shit for us.

Absolutely.

If he starts off 2017 as he played most of 2016, I think even the loyal QLD selectors and snr players will opt for others to take his origin position if a couple of blokes are fit and in form. I was surprised they were so loyal to him this year????

Knight76

Juniors
Peter Badel s previous article said it was Thurston type money. Thurston will probably be on $1.5m under the proposed 2018 cap. and $700k won't be that much for an above average spine player.

Yeah I Lol'd at that also. I'd be surprised if Thurston as not on more than that now with TPA's thrown in.

As for Gagai, I was amazed he got selected for QLD in the first place.His tries for QLD were pretty much all catch and score that is any wingers bread and butter. Slot any decent winger in to that side and they would have scored the same tries.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Haha the talking up of Gagai is transparent as. The qlder mentality of these CM journos is rampant. You guys should see the photoshop efforts during origin

Nothing article with no quotes from any of the mentioned players etc etc

Holmes will take Gagais Qld spot next year

Swarzey

Bench
Now this is peak smearing and baseless journalism.

Enjoy.

Club bosses will be furious with NRL over the Knights offer to Kalyn Ponga

ffe8f4524034516adadbac2e0772169d

Mike Colman, The Courier-Mail
November 19, 2016 11:57pm
Subscriber only

ffe8f4524034516adadbac2e0772169d

I AM thinking rugby league kingpins John Grant and Todd Greenberg will not be getting a friendly welcome home from the NRL club bosses when they return from the Four Nations final.

More likely they will be met with placards asking: “What the #$%^ is going on?’’

Newcastle’s offer of $3.5 million to snare Cowboys’ teenager Kalyn Ponga after a grand total of two games has to be one of the most disruptive moves in the game’s history.

Forget about the pressure it has put the kid under. That’s a matter for him, his family and his bank manager to mull over.

Forget, too, that the Knights are the worst-performed team in the competition and unless they can also buy some muscle and nous to give him support, Ponga is going to spend five years picking lumps of turf out of his teeth. That’s a matter for him, his family and his dentist.

Forget that two-game veteran Ponga would be earning more than established players at the Knights, including Origin star Dane Gagai. That’s a matter for him, the players and the dressingroom.

And you can even forget that the Knights could be making the biggest financial faux pas since their former owner Nathan Tinkler thought it would be a good idea to go into the horse racing business. That’s a matter for them, their fans and their financial backers.

Just who are their financial backers, you may ask? The NRL of course.

Since Tinkler walked away the Knights have been under the control of the NRL.

So when we say Newcastle are throwing $3.5 million at an untried kid in the hope he will lead them out of the wilderness, we are really saying the NRL is.

Which must make the Cowboys absolutely ecstatic. Here they are, after years of struggle, finally breathing a bit of clean air at the top of the pile, and the organisation they work for is pulling the rug out from under them.

It is not only the Cowboys who will be feeling that. The Queensland and Federal governments will be less than overjoyed as well.

They have committed $240 million to build a stadium as part of a major redevelopment of the Townsville city area, with the Cowboys and NRL coming up with $10 million.

By the time the first game is played there Johnathan Thurston will probably have hung up the boots, along with most of the 2015 premiership-winning team.

Ponga, the brightest star on the Cowboys’ books would be seen as a key attraction in getting paying customers through the gates. He might still be doing that, but in Newcastle.

But the thing that will really be sending the other clubs into a spin is the fact that this offer will throw the entire player market upside down.

If Ponga is worth $700,000 a season at the age of 18, what does that make Thurston, Anthony Milford, Shaun Johnson, Darius Boyd or any of the other 250 established players worth on the open market?

More to the point, what can the management of off-contract Valentine Holmes ask?

After all, he is still only 21, has played almost 60 NRL games, has won a premiership and represented Australia. And what can the clubs afford to pay? The simple answer is, they don’t know.

In yet another twist to an already murky scenario, the NRL has yet to announce the salary cap for 2018 and beyond.

The Cowboys, along with every other club, are fighting with two hands tied behind their backs.

They can’t open the chequebooks to keep their players because they don’t know how much money they have to spend.

Who said rugby league was a game played on a level playing field?

Latest posts