What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight76

Juniors
Id rather Sims stay. Yeah, he had a crap season last year. He does have what it takes, and the size we need. I am hopeful he can be re-invigorated with the young guns coming through, the twins ripping in and the signings we have had to regain some form.

I can see him moving clubs, and being much like Tapine, seen as not performing here but kills it at another club.

Johns Magic

Referee
The Cowboys smear campaign is out in force today in the media. Hannant and Lockyer coming out to advise him the other way and the Cowboys mouthpiece Peter Badel writing a big article basically calling Ponga an idiot. Badel was the one the Cows leaked the salary figures to in the first place so he's just continuing their dirty work.

Badel should ask himself where were Sharks, Raiders, Eels 2-3 years ago?

Caped Crusader

Juniors
The Cowboys smear campaign is out in force today in the media. Hannant and Lockyer coming out to advise him the other way and the Cowboys mouthpiece Peter Badel writing a big article basically calling Ponga an idiot. Badel was the one the Cows leaked the salary figures to in the first place so he's just continuing their dirty work.

Badel should ask himself where were Sharks, Raiders, Eels 2-3 years ago?
Yeah the whole "Hes an idiot for going to the Knights cause they got the spoon blah blah" is ultra transparent, not to mention a ridiculous argument.

The Cowboys have been the NRLs whingers for so long they don't know what to do anything else

Ponga is considering his family's situation and was also interested in the Uni.
They can rip us off about the spoon as much as they like but you can't get anywhere with as much Newie has to offer that is close on hand.
I'm near the GC now (on Tweed Coast) and it rates with beaches, Uni and hinterland but there's no mother of a lake like Lake Macquarie or monster of natural beauty like Port Stephens within reasonable access.

You don't get the passion of supporters (and the criticism lol) anywhere.

Ponga would be mad not to want to live there.

Spot On

Coach
I'm hoping NQLD do us a favour and develop Ponga for another season. You never know, he might see a fair chunk of firsts if injuries strike up there. Takes some pressure of him tbh.

I'd be loathe to let him see any firsts and develop him any more now he's jumped ship if I was P. Green though. WIll be interesting to see what happens.

I'm hoping NQLD do us a favour and develop Ponga for another season. You never know, he might see a fair chunk of firsts if injuries strike up there. Takes some pressure of him tbh.

I'd be loathe to let him see any firsts and develop him any more now he's jumped ship if I was P. Green though. WIll be interesting to see what happens.

This is my view as well With the money we are paying him he would have to be in firsts from day 1 and we are not going to be contenders next year anyway. Let him develop for a year as a fringe Cowboy and hopefully he will be more ready for regular first grade in 2018 without us having forked out $650k for a development year.

Glendale

Juniors
If he does come for 2017 I'd be hesitant throwing him straight into fullback right away. Chooks did it this year with Latrell, and that didn't go too bad... And I guess Ponga has got the same sort of hype as him. However, I know the Chooks were shit, but they were a lot better then us and probably better then what we'll be next season, so Latrell had a lot more help then Ponga is going to get. I'd be blooding him on the wing, swapping with Ross till he gets ready for a starting fullback spot. Chucking an 18 year old fullback into a team that has huge issues defensively sounds very risky.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Mitchell got moved from fullback to wing cause he was ballsing it up at fullback. Not sure where you are getting "that didn't go to bad" from. He was awful

Johns Magic

Referee
I suppose the upside if we don't get Ponga for 2017 are:

1) We keep Korbin

2) We have a few hundred grand lying around to potentially snag someone else for 2017 if they get squeezed out of their club. Rumours are there is still cap pressure around.

Noname36

First Grade
This is my view as well With the money we are paying him he would have to be in firsts from day 1 and we are not going to be contenders next year anyway. Let him develop for a year as a fringe Cowboy and hopefully he will be more ready for regular first grade in 2018 without us having forked out $650k for a development year.

This is the reason I hope we do get him for next year (if the signing ends up even happening).

Like you said we're not doing anything next year anyway, and I very much doubt the Cows are going to be jumping over themselves to give him much FG time if he's leaving. Let him come here and get some experience while the year it a write off anyway - much less pressure.

Glendale

Juniors
Mitchell got moved from fullback to wing cause he was ballsing it up at fullback. Not sure where you are getting "that didn't go to bad" from. He was awful

You're right. He got moved to the wing at the end of the year and the original plan was to have him on the wing for the whole year but the Ferguson at fullback idea didn't work out. Latrell though, was an absolute gun in attack. Not so good in defense, making a lot of positional errors. And I would expect it to be the same for any fullback at that age in firstgrade, what we saw from Latrell is a guideline of what we'll see from Ponga too, I reckon. But you can see he's going to be a great player down the track. If Ponga was to have a year like Latrell's 2016, I'd be happy. Sounds like you wouldn't though.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
If he defended like Mitchell did, yeah I'd be disappointed. Latrell was clueless in his positioning

I'd certainly want Ponga to do better, yeah

Knight76

Juniors
It was an Adelaide now article. Re-printed from CM. Worked for me without subscription. Anyway, here it is.

KALYN Ponga’s $3.6 million deal has sparked a player backlash, with Maroons star Dane Gagai among several Knights stars furious over Newcastle’s big-money buy.

The Courier-Mail can reveal a faction of Knights players, including Origin ace Gagai, are seething after Newcastle made Ponga the richest teen in NRL history.

Newcastle coach Nathan Brown is refusing to confirm Ponga’s signing but the deal is done and now the Knights mentor must explain the record investment to his upset players.

Ponga, who has played two NRL games, will pocket more than $1 million in his first two seasons in Newcastle. The 18-year-old will arrive as one of the highest-paid players in Knights history and will earn more than Gagai, who is currently on about $500,000 a season.

The Ponga poaching raid threatens to tear the Knights apart.

Several Knights players rang their agents expressing anger and wanting upgrades after learning of the club’s mega five-year offer to Ponga.

Gagai, in particular, is entitled to be livid. The 25-year-old is Newcastle’s brightest star, having scored five tries in four Origin games, including a hat-trick in Queensland’s 26-16 defeat of NSW in Game Two last season.

Since joining Newcastle in 2012, Gagai has played 105 games and showed his loyalty last year when he rejected Broncos coach Wayne Bennett to sign a new deal with the embattled Knights.

Newcastle’s brightest prospects, 20-year-old twins Daniel and Jacob Saifiti, have also been stunned by the Ponga deal after agreeing to less lucrative extensions in May.

Brown declined to comment when contacted but former Maroons lock Scott Sattler warned Ponga will face envy and brutal expectations in Newcastle.

“It’s a difficult deal for anyone to knock back but it puts enormous pressure on the kid,” Sattler said.

“If Kalyn Ponga doesn’t handle it, he could become a washed-up 21-year-old.

“I hope that doesn’t happen, but on that salary he will be expected to win games regularly for the Knights and it’s only natural that more senior players will be jealous of what he earns.

“Physically, I think he can handle the NRL but emotionally, I’m not sure he is ready to deliver the consistency expected of a player on that sort of contract.

“A player like Johnathan Thurston has developed the emotional intelligence to play to such a high level but Ponga still has so much to learn in the game.”

Broncos legend Darren Lockyer says it is critical Brown and Knights hierarchy provide support networks for the teenager in Newcastle.

“It’s important Kalyn has the right people around him at Newcastle,” he said. “Newcastle might be in a different club in 12 months but whether you are 18 or 30 years old, a $700,000 salary comes with a lot of pressure.

“Kalyn will need help to ensure he is a good investment.’’

Johns Magic

Referee
Thanks.

Think the comments section sums it up - Pete Badel articles read like Women's Day. All cherry picking and baseless claims. Pretty embarrassing stuff for him, but if he wants to sacrifice his journalistic integrity and keep getting pats on the head from Peter Parr his career will continue to be Mickey Mouse articles.

Gagai scored 5 tries in four origin games? Care to mention he scored 3 tries in 22 NRL games this year?

Chalk up another Queenslander for a cheap quote.

All this after the Cows leaked the contract details to this guy.