What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Glendale

Juniors
Why would anyone have faith in these juniors kicking on? How many genuine rep players have the knights produced in the last 15 years? One, if you count Aku.

Nobody is saying no to a current origin half because some kid with 15 first grade games might be sad.

Maybe he won't maybe he will, how would we know?

But what I do know is you'll be the first one to complain if he goes to another club and becomes great.

Watson is just as unproven as Lamb. But he's not a Newcastle junior so he'll defiantley be great...

Glendale

Juniors
If we start prioritising keeping unproven local juniors over signing proven performers just because they're juniors then we're back to the Hagan days.

Lamb could very well kick on to be a good player but we haven't seen anything yet to suggest he'll even go on to offer even half what Maloney would now.

I don't like seeing our juniors go on to help other clubs either but Maloney and Watson are leagues above Lamb at the moment and he shouldn't get a free ride at the expense of what is better for the squad just because he's a Newcastle junior.

Watson hasn't proven he's leagues above Lamb.

All I'm saying is I believe now that Watson has been bought, we won't be getting Maloney.

Glendale

Juniors
I must clarify- if Maloney is happy to sign a 1 year deal- or if Lamb is happy to sit in Reserve Grade for 2 years, then this is fine. But if not, we aren't going to give up on any of these kids.

Totally bonkers to do all the hard work and then just give up.

Frederick

Staff member

All I'm saying is I believe now that Watson has been bought, we won't be getting Maloney.
All depends on Cronk. If Cronk plays on in Sydney, we go hard for Maloney.

There's also 3 or 4 others being looked at. No names mentioned though

Btp

Juniors
I I know we'd love Maloney to come here so it would feel like a quicker fix, however I have to give HUGE wraps to Lamb for this year. We've competed and almost won games this year and that is with Lamb as our 5/8. With the quality of players around him I feel like he will only get better. He is only, what? 19? Kid has plenty of time to mature into a quality half with a team that is constantly building in quality and combinations. Be a mistake to drop him for Watson who hasn't even had a chance to prove himself yet.

I personally don't think we need Maloney and it may cruel the team in long run if they did get him. BUT he could also be perfect to train Watson and Lamb and Cogger up... But how you fit 2/3 is the question.

Noname36

First Grade

I actually said above that I personally don't rate Watson as highly as a lot in here are - however even I think he's well above Lamb at the moment. He's not proven in terms of rep footy, etc, no, but he's shown a higher (yet different) level of skill.

I would love to see Lamb get there (I love to see any kid come through our system make it) but he hasn't shown nearly enough yet for us to bank on him and not take the opportunity to sign better players.

Frederick

Staff member
I must clarify- if Maloney is happy to sign a 1 year deal- or if Lamb is happy to sit in Reserve Grade for 2 years, then this is fine. But if not, we aren't going to give up on any of these kids.

Totally bonkers to do all the hard work and then just give up.
If the clubs plan was for an experienced half to sit in the seat for a year while Lamb matures, then they'd be going all out for Cronk

Glendale

Juniors
If the clubs plan was for an experienced half to sit in the seat for a year while Lamb matures, then they'd be going all out for Cronk

Yep he's perfect and we've stated that we're very interested in him. Problem is he wants to live in Sydney. If we were a Sydney club you can guarentee we would've bassically signed him already (if not retiring).

Noname36

First Grade
I I know we'd love Maloney to come here so it would feel like a quicker fix, however I have to give HUGE wraps to Lamb for this year. We've competed and almost won games this year and that is with Lamb as our 5/8. With the quality of players around him I feel like he will only get better. He is only, what? 19? Kid has plenty of time to mature into a quality half with a team that is constantly building in quality and combinations. Be a mistake to drop him for Watson who hasn't even had a chance to prove himself yet.

I personally don't think we need Maloney and it may cruel the team in long run if they did get him. BUT he could also be perfect to train Watson and Lamb and Cogger up... But how you fit 2/3 is the question.

I wouldn't see Maloney as a quick fix at all, but rather some much needed experience in the spine to guide the younger players and help teach them a winning mentality.

It all just seems about what Lamb needs here but what about the others? What does Ponga need? What does Levi need? They need some experience in the spine to help take some pressure off them. Chasing Maloney would just be a better option for the entire squad.

Johns Magic

Referee
I wouldn't see Maloney as a quick fix at all, but rather some much needed experience in the spine to guide the younger players and help teach them a winning mentality.

Exactly. What Maloney offers that Lamb couldn't match even if he kicks on is leadership and experience.

I like Lamb but...if I'm offered a proven winner and someone capable of guiding Ponga, Watson etc around the park I take it in a heartbeat.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Everyone seems to be forgetting about our curse. You just know at least one of our spine will get a long term injury/suspension early next year so that backup players will get plenty of on field time anyways.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Everyone seems to be forgetting about our curse. You just know at least one of our spine will get a long term injury/suspension early next year so that backup players will get plenty of on field time anyways.
Exactly right. The benefit of having Brock playing regular first grade for 2 years is that he should be ready to take his chance when we get a halves injury/suspension

It's the same with blokes like Stone, Yates, Fitzgibbon etc in their respective positions.

If all goes to plan the depth in our squad should be awesome

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
People whinging about lamb not being clutch at the end of games..

The only half we have ever had who could close out a game was Andrew Johns.

Mullen and gidley could rarely do it.

Lamb is 19 and behind a forward pack of 19 and 20 year olds in his first full season of NRL. I am sure he can be forgiven for not closing out games against opposition that should be dominating us in every way.

Lamb is still tracking slightly below Nathan Cleary in most stats. Yet Cleary is touted as being Pearce's replacement for nsw next season. Cleary also has a big pack to work with. Cleary has better running stats but Brock lambs kicking game is better.

I am not really sure what you are all expecting lamb to be able to do with the guys he has around him. If you swapped lamb and Cleary I am sure lamb would be outperforming him.

Spot On

Coach
Mullo was given years of latitude for playing behind beaten packs by most in here. Packs that included 'big name' forwards I might add

I can't see why Brock would not be afforded the same excuses. He's a baby for christ sake playing behind a pack of kids.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
All things considered this year I think Lamb has done fairly well in a beaten side. He's definitely struggled with creating the big play that we often need to get over the line in a close match but that's not always his fault because most of the time we don't have momentum or field position anyway so it's a bit of a tough ask. For the record I think his passing and kicking games are developing nicely, it's mainly his speed and running game that are below NRL standard at the moment. He's also shown good improvement as a defender as well.

If we managed to land Maloney then Lamb would benefit from some time in reserves but I'm sure he would get a crack at first grade again when we have the inevitable injuries. If we don't get Maloney then I've got no problem with Lamb wearing the no.7 next year.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think the point that people are making is that Lamb maybe hopefully will get to the level that Maloney is already at. It's not bagging Lamb per se.

Old dog

Bench
Forget Cronk, no way he is coming. Maloney is good choice but getting depends on to many things happening. Not much else out and about so let see how those we have go, Lamb with a bigger better pack, Watson given a regular spot to show us week in week out.
And let's not loose sight of the fact we still have Hodko who has recently said he is not going anywhere or so he says.

Sacrolishes

Juniors

It all just seems about what Lamb needs here but what about the others? What does Ponga need? What does Levi need? They need some experience in the spine to help take some pressure off them. Chasing Maloney would just be a better option for the entire squad.

You have a fair point... and it could very well prove to be a masterstroke and we're competing for top 6 in the next year. But I would also say that if Maloney signed for 2-3 years then retires, we lose Brock Lamb and need to develop a halves combination AGAIN. It's why I think having Watson, Lamb, Levi & Ponga establishing a combination for the next few years that could be one of the most lethal in the comp. back ups in Cogger, Pythian, Meaney & Starling. It is very young that spine yes, but very talented, I would say bring in the leaders via the pack (ie Graham), that can provide protection and guidance.

I do agree though that getting Maloney would be amazing for the team, I just don't think Lamb should be sacrificed for how much effort he has put in the past couple years. He deserves to be apart of the rebuild process and build with the talent coming in and through.