What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

What's great about the likes of Ponga, Watson and Ese'ese is that - unlike when we bought Likiliki, Henry and O'Donnell - they're actually talented young players who have shown some of that talent, albeit briefly, in the NRL. Each one has made a positive impact to their respective teams in first grade already, and they look like genuine stars of the future not just hopefuls. We have the money and we're spending some of it on real talent with huge potential.

Of course some experience in the halves and forwards would really help too. I still have some hope we get it. But this is a very good start.

Funnily enough Ponga is likely the best of the lot, it's been so long since we signed him it's easy to forget how massive he could be for us.

Come on up James Graham, Newcastle is the place to be.
We'll pick on one or two guys that aren't performing at top level and suggest a replacement from someone who is young and showing promise but needs the experience our team has around him. We'll be doing it 'proper'.
I'm dreaming.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
We're not choosing Maloney over Lamb, we'd be choosing Watson over Lamb.

Yeh, it is weird that people are pitting Lamb against Maloney and just giving Watson a pass. Clearly it would be Watson and Lamb fighting to partner James...

Even if we cant get Maloney, i hope another half gets thrown into the mix (maybe Cogger or Feeney) just so the others dont get comfortable.

Noname36

First Grade
Yeh, it is weird that people are pitting Lamb against Maloney and just giving Watson a pass. Clearly it would be Watson and Lamb fighting to partner James...

Even if we cant get Maloney, i hope another half gets thrown into the mix (maybe Cogger or Feeney) just so the others dont get comfortable.

Pretty much all of the recent posts have been people saying they don't want us to chase Maloney because it might offend Lamb and he'd leave. That's where the comparison/pitting has come from. Watson was already signed when the discussion started.

If we don't sign Maloney I wouldn't be surprised if we run out with a Watson/Hodkinson pairing to start the year anyway.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Toohey today:

Kostjasyn will announce his retirement soon. We will chase a replacement hooker.

Moga and Ese'ese will probably only be announced some time from the end of this week as they are still in cooling-off.

Watson still needs the Roosters board to meet and officially release him to the Knights so we may have to wait a bit longer for that announcement but it's merely a formality.

Brown wants an experienced prop to go with the young guys next year. Our interest in Brenton Lawrence has picked up but we will need to up the ante and offer two years to match what the Titans are offering him.

Brown has gone cold on James Graham because of concerns about how bashed up he is after a long career. Hasn't ruled it out though.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee

Pedge1971

First Grade
Off-contract hookers according to leagueunlimited

Paul Carter, Adam Clydsdale, Craig Garvey, Siliva Havili, Cameron King, Michael Lichaa, Dylan Phythian, Tyler Randell, Ryan Simpkins, Travis Waddell

Pretty slim pickings

I can't think of any on that list that Brown would fancy. There is also McCrone and Ray Thompson who have played hooker before.

Jacob Lillyman is a prop off-contract that I would have thought fits the bill Brown is after but his name doesn't seem to have been linked to us at all.

Pythian would be my pick of that lot. Do we really need another hooker? Thought Buhrer/Levi rotation worked.

My concern is Paeas lack of game time particularly as we were a man down on the bench.

Agree Lillyman would be ideal for us. More so than Lawrence. But maybe he is worried he isnt a starter?

Johns Magic

Referee
I don't mind that Paea is only being used when we have to use him. Brown is obviously trying to push the younger guys and I agree with it.

Noname36

First Grade
Do we really need another hooker? I thought Levi and Buhrer were doing well. Plus we have Starling coming through who looks like a gem.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
We actually look better with buhrer at hooker to start games.

Pythian would be an ideal bench utility if he stays fit, can play 1-7 and 9.

Old dog

Bench
Based on current hookers we need another, long term injury to Levi would leave us very thin on experience, Starling is very good but should wait a bit for every week first grade/bench and others are not regular hookers.

Swarzey

Bench
I have no issue signing Lawrence, he'll be barely above second tier having little impact on the cap. He's a decent cover I suppose from the bench in case a Saifiti or Ese'ese got injured.

Paea is apparently looking OS again. He's useful but not much time left in him.
Not fussed on another hooker as others have said. I thought Kostjasyn was here to help Levi along and the rotation now is working.
Maybe we are looking for someone to aid in experience. We could get a hooker coach for that.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
IMO all we need is someone who can spell Levi. Levi is much better playing 55-60min than 80. I just think we can cover that between buhrer and Pythian until Levi becomes an 80min player.

Johns Magic

Referee
I doubt Levi ever becomes an 80 minute player. Obviously they don't think Starling is up to it yet - I would say his size adds into that as well.

Buhrer is great to spell Levi, but obviously they don't want the prospect of Buhrer having to be our 80-minute hooker if Levi gets a long-term injury.

The problem is the extreme lack of quality hookers available. Half of that above list are either Knights or ex-Knights, half the rest are grubs, and the remainders are nuffbags(Simpkins), overpaid(Lichaa) or unproven and constantly injured(King).

Old dog

Bench
So if Watson plays 5/8 and goes bad do we keep playing him because we guaranteed his position.
If Esse comes based on starting position rather than bench and is no good or others are better do we keep starting with him.
Every player has to earn spot, no guarantee is guaranteed, its up to them. The position is open for them to grab it.