What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
Raises an interesting question, how do you not perform at club level but get picked in QLD origin side.

Do enough to get on the radar, be picked in the emerging QLD squad, wait your turn, get picked, play like a world beater, defeat NSW like every QLD team before you the past 12 years (close enough) and live off the QLD spine (together for more than a decade basically) and the QLD 'pick and stick' mantra. Can't be dropped.

Can't lose.

Go back to club a big rep name and phone it in. Sign a new contract worth squillions.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Pickings might be slim but they keep beating us

NSW was doing well until their halfback pulled the pin after the 2005 series.

End of story.

No halfback - no glory.

Newcastle know it better than most.

NSW are still waiting for one that can kick, pass, run, tackle and generally direct play and create some points.

mozza91

Coach
Then they'll find one in Cleary. They'll give him one shot and punt him if we lose. Cleary loses all of his confidence, his development is damaged for a few years and is never seriously considered again.

Old dog

Bench
Really opened up something "slim pickings" he was a very good western character actor but that has nothing to do with football, I am hurting too over all those losses but let's face it they have been to good, why can't we be the same

Spot On

Coach
Because the QLD 7th ranked half is twice the player of our best half....... and that's being kind to the NSW halves.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Market watch says we have signed Christian Hazard from Redcliffe. He is a halfback who played for QLD residents this year and has been a really strong player at QLD Cup level. Pretty sure he was a Newcastle junior aswel.

Also Jaelen Feeney has signed with Townsville in the QLD Cup

Caped Crusader

Juniors
That is a great pick up

Hazard is a handy player. Can play in the halves or hooker. Very skillful and solid defender

I've been a big fan of his and often wondered why the Donkeys haven't given him a crack over the years

PhilGould

Bench
The name seems familiar but can't remember seeing him play before. We're already well stocked for halves in all grades so I'm interested to see what the plan is for him. He's been training with the NRL squad since the beginning of pre-season so they must rate him.

PhilGould

Bench
A few junior re-signings just announced.

Pasami Saulo (prop) until 2020
Brayden Musgrove (outside back) until 2019
Matt Cooper (fullback) until 2018
Luke Huth (hooker) until 2020
Mat Croker (prop) until 2020

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/11/10/knights_re_sign_pasa.html

Saulo, Musgrove and Cooper are already training with the top squad, Saulo would be a good chance to debut sometime this season. Cooper is good but will be stuck behind a few players, and I'm not a big fan of Musgrove. Huth was the Australian schoolboys hooker and looked great in 20's during the last few months of the season. Both he and Croker are a few years away but look promising.

Bartwah

Juniors
Any truth to an article that popped up today that suggested lamb is going to test the open market?
He can start looking from November one, his manager would be silly if he wasn’t putting the feelers out after all this talk about Pearce. Same article says manly might be in with a chance, but pretty sure I read somewhere, that if they don’t land Pearce, they’re going to try get Elgey

I know alot of people will shoot me down for saying this but joey leilua is being shop around,he is awesome centre most days, and i think if brown can have a sit down and get his head straight and give him another chance. You would have to atleast contemplate having that conversation. In saying this i do have my reservations ,almost everybody on this forum probably would.but if he returns to his best form we will be cheering.

I know alot of people will shoot me down for saying this but joey leilua is being shop around,he is awesome centre most days, and i think if brown can have a sit down and get his head straight and give him another chance. You would have to atleast contemplate having that conversation. In saying this i do have my reservations ,almost everybody on this forum probably would.but if he returns to his best form we will be cheering.
I don't think anyone can get his head straight

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I think the simple answer is no to this

Brown us looking for good club men with the right attitudes. That's not BJ at all

Spot On

Coach
The fact he is being shipped off shows me that he has returned to his 'normal' ways again.

Sure it might be good for us for 6 months but at the end of the day he aint going to change and history has proven that.

He just doesn't have the brains, temperament, will, desire, determination etc, etc to be the best for a long period of time.

Shame. But not worth breaking part of what has already been built.

One of those risky investments that may have a high return but is most likely to crash at any given moment.

NO.

I just can't see Brown going for it.