What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Joker's Wild

Coach
His price tag shouldn't come into the equation. Tigers would be footing most of his contract, similar to how we are paying half of Tyrone's contract next year.

Most? No

Have a look at all of the reported player movements that involve currently contracted players and the amounts reported to be payed by the original club are 50% at most.

No club will pay above that for a player to be lining up against them. None

If Farah is on $900K, Tigers will be paying $450K max

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Feeney had an absolute blinder last weekend in NSW Cup, mainly due to his running game. He's a good athlete with pace to burn for his size. Not sure if his future will be in the halves but I think there's a good player in there.

Shenry4

Juniors
My issue with the "WE DO NOT NEED A HOOKER AS WE HAVE LEVI" brigade is that it's dangerously Newcastle thinking. We constantly talk up the local guy as a future great and push for him to get the run ahead of established players and then quickly jump off them when they inevitably fail to measure up to our standards.

A year ago people would have been frothing with outrage at the idea of replacing Roberts with a dirty outsider, but people are plenty happy to be seeing the back of him after he showed his true colours.

I'm not saying Levi won't amount to something, but it's poor business to bank our future on a guy maybe meeting his potential.

It's all moot given we can't compete with Souths money, but it's a weird old world when we'd turn down the hypothetical signing of the best NSW hooker because we might have a good player coming through the ranks.

This so much..

A lot of fans get carried away with the potential of players coming through. Then quickly turn on them when they don't turn out to be the next Isaac Luke (or Robbie Farah ;-)) for example.

I'm not much of a gambler and think the best options are players who have proved themselves. So I like the thinking of one established number 9 such as Ballin or Farah and our best bet developing number 9. Much better imho the banking on three young sprouts. Its like investing in the short and long term simultaneously.

I have no doubt that Farah would be better for us over the next few years then our three young hookers put together.

*Touching wood* there's a chance they might not amount to much, or take longer to develop and mature as we'd like, or losing them after a few years to another club and not reaping the fruits of the clubs labour.

Predicting futures is a risky thing.

Burwood

Bench
Most? No

Have a look at all of the reported player movements that involve currently contracted players and the amounts reported to be payed by the original club are 50% at most.

No club will pay above that for a player to be lining up against them. None

If Farah is on $900K, Tigers will be paying $450K max

Obviously they won't be footing 90% of his contract value, but picking up a player of Farah's calibre where 50% of his contract is covered for the next 2 years makes this bit of a no brainer in regards to impact on the salary cap.

People should feel free to talk about his negative influence on the club in regards to attitude etc, but saying that we shouldn't sign him because he'd command big dollars is a pretty weak argument. Signing Farah would have very little impact on being able to retain Levi.

perverse

Referee
I would prefer what's in the box, and after that Clydsdale and Randell... after that, every other hooker in the comp... and then Farah. I suspect there are probably better options in QLD cup and SL, too.

It really doesn't matter what the price - and anyone saying Farah would be any different here than he is at the Tigers is speculating at best. The only coach Farah has ever got along with was Tom Shines. He is a destabilising influence, he thinks his shit smells like roses, his teammates don't like him and he's generally either injured or playing origin these days. There's just zero value there, even if he's free. He would cost us long term, even if he came for free.

People keep saying "a player of his calibre" and the such - but have any of you even watched him play the past couple of years? The bloke is in decline big time. I can't believe any of you would consider this given the past few years that we've just been through bring in 30+ers. It's just not worth it - we need to stay the course with our recruitment strategy.

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
Falloon is looking for a club. He is experienced with a number of years in the NRL, links well with his forwards and is quite quick. He was the Titans player of the year in 2014.

We need an experienced hooker next year and he and Levi would work well together and he wouldn't cost much.

Swarzey

Bench
God f**king no. Falloon is trash. We've already got a Randell, don't need a second.

New update with Tolman, we've apparently offered 600k per season. It may sound like a lot but he'll be worth it IMO. His stats for his minutes played will be incredible next year.

God f**king no. Falloon is trash. We've already got a Randell, don't need a second.

New update with Tolman, we've apparently offered 600k per season. It may sound like a lot but he'll be worth it IMO. His stats for his minutes played will be incredible next year.

600k isnt huge these days. Maybe slight overs for a guy like tolman, will be worth it though

600 k for Tolman is bargain IMO. Daley is a tool for not picking him for a origin. He is a potential NSW Captain and I hope our coach puts him as Captain if he signs on. We need new ideas, a born leader, and more importantly a captain who will not take a backwards step. Have not had that since Chief. Someone who will not allow his side to be bullied.

perverse

Referee
Tolman is a gun, but again I think you're all blowing your loads a little too hard... same as Hodko, really. These blokes are quality players, but they're not top tier. Saying Tolman is a potential NSW captain is an extreme long bow to draw. I rate the bloke, I think he's a tireless worker more than anything... but he's bloody small for a prop in todays game and totally lacks any real impact. He will churn out numbers for us all day, but he's not destructive, he's not particularly inspirational and he's very, very long odds to walk straight into our captaincy. It's correct that he'll be a valuable asset in an NRL environment where the interchanges are shrinking... but it's not going to turn him into the Chief Mk II. You couldn't find 2 props less alike.

Why do we need to make these guys out to be more than they really are? They're both great players sure - but Tolman isn't David Klemmer or Paul Gallen and Hodkinson is lucky if he's in the top half of the competition as far as halves go. They are valuable additions to our team - the right kind of recruits - but they aren't world beaters. They are the 2 most expendable players on the 'Dogs roster as far as return on investment goes.

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench

Obviously you haven't seen him too closely and is a definite upgrade on Clydesdale and Randell. Anyway problem won't happen as the knights seem content with what we have in a key sine position with 2 players not really of 1st grade standard and one who will be but needs guideance and time to develop.

perverse

Referee
Can someone please point out to me the problem with Clydsdale holding the fort until Levi is ready? Please? Levi is obviously the better prospect at this stage, but Clydsdale isn't exactly Travis Waddell or anything either.

slotmachine

First Grade
Very well said perverse.

Hodko is probably the 8th or 9th best half in the comp and would be similar for tolman. He's the third best at his own club..

But from where we are currently they are definite upgrades and seen to be the sort out characters that are hard working and easy to like. Anti-darius's.

Whats Doing

Bench
Tolman is a gun, but again I think you're all blowing your loads a little too hard... same as Hodko, really. These blokes are quality players, but they're not top tier. Saying Tolman is a potential NSW captain is an extreme long bow to draw. I rate the bloke, I think he's a tireless worker more than anything... but he's bloody small for a prop in todays game and totally lacks any real impact. He will churn out numbers for us all day, but he's not destructive, he's not particularly inspirational and he's very, very long odds to walk straight into our captaincy. It's correct that he'll be a valuable asset in an NRL environment where the interchanges are shrinking... but it's not going to turn him into the Chief Mk II. You couldn't find 2 props less alike.

Why do we need to make these guys out to be more than they really are? They're both great players sure - but Tolman isn't David Klemmer or Paul
Gallen and Hodkinson is lucky if he's in the top half of the competition as far as halves go. They are valuable additions to our team - the right kind of recruits - but they aren't world beaters. They are the 2 most expendable players on the 'Dogs roster as far as return on investment goes.

Agree with the sentimenta.

The issue is do we improve our roster with a gradual upgrade in quality (like Tolman) or do we wait until a big gun comes on the market and try and sign with a risk of missing out. I think if we recruit it must be on the basis of upgrading no matter the degree of improvement with a view of moving the club up higher on the ladder and making the club more marketable.

Whats Doing

Bench
Can someone please point out to me the problem with Clydsdale holding the fort until Levi is ready? Please? Levi is obviously the better prospect at this stage, but Clydsdale isn't exactly Travis Waddell or anything either.

The problem with Clydesdale is he is very slow off the mark as a hooker which doesn't pose any questions of the defence with speed you cannot improve much at all in a player. You either have it or you don't. He like all of our hookers are very inexperienced which is where an experienced hooker can take the pressure off in a key spine position.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Agree with the sentimenta.

The issue is do we improve our roster with a gradual upgrade in quality (like Tolman) or do we wait until a big gun comes on the market and try and sign with a risk of missing out. I think if we recruit it must be on the basis of upgrading no matter the degree of improvement with a view of moving the club up higher on the ladder and making the club more marketable.
I think we need to recruit very strongly in areas we can't plan for from within. Quality imports only with a lot of tomorrows. It's a pretty simple edict, and to be honest I think the club has mostly got the picture now, or at least gets it a lot better than it did 6-12 months ago.

I think the degree of improvement is extremely relevant. It is not worth disrupting your recruitment strategy - especially as much as Farah would - for a 5 or 10% gain in one position for mine. The gains you'll get sticking to a well thought out strategy will far outweigh any temporary gains from a band-aid solution. Any time Farah would take in first grade at our club would be minutes we're not developing either Levi or Clydsdale, and that's totally unacceptable to me at any price.

Premiership squads do take time to assemble. The Roosters squad did not fall together overnight - it took shrewd recruitment, patience and a solid strategy well executed. Both of our own premiership squads were pieced together over a number of years.

Whats Doing

Bench
There are a range of other factors other than quality you need to look at in respect of recruitment such as would they fit into the playing group well, would they fit into the culture of the club that is trying to be built.

I wouldn't be looking at Farah at all under any circumstances as he would be a very divisive influence in the club.

Last edited: